Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting back into Netrunner after a hiatus and besides the OMG EVERYTHING answer, I was curious if there was a good cycle to jump in with or a group of packs not from the same cycle to buy that were a good value.

I stopped right before Lunar.

I have the Terminal Directive and all the deluxe packs (except Order and chaos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Premise: the post-rotation meta is very much up in the air, especially given the announcement of core 2.0(!), so deck-specific recommendations will probably have to wait. Also in case you aren't aware, core 2.0 only includes cards from core 1.0, Genesis and Spin, so you don't need it unless you want them sweet sweet alt-arts.

That being said, the Flashpoint cycle has a high number of very strong cards for many traditional Runner and Corp strategies, so it might be the most efficient investment in terms of how many useful cards you get in general.

Aside from that, I had fun with every cycle, but my least favourite was Mumbad, with many cards ending up being too niche or generally underpowered, and a small group of pretty broken ones. Also, to be fair, every cycle has had broken cards (the aforementioned Flashpoint has had its fair share as well), and the setting is amazing so my least favourite cycle might be someone else's favourite. As a further note, the "Democracy and Dogma" pack from this cycle has some bonkers assets so maybe get that one if you are into that sort of business.

The advantage of buying full cycles is that usually answers to very strong and meta-impactful cards appear somewhere in the same cycle as the "problem" ones, just not necessarily in the same pack (CTM and Aaron Marron are a good example).

Hope this helps a bit, cheers.

['Omg get everything' sounds good as well]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
For starters: Look at the card list posted for the new core. Just find the packs which complete your set so you have full sets of core cards. Maybe even just get core 2.0 when it's out if you only have one of 1.0. Put any cycle 1+2 cards without copies in the new core into a box marked "DO NOT TOUCH". I'm doing this myself

To expand your collection into the modern era, buy the newest data pack and work backwards till you run out of fun money.

Alternatively, wait for the core 2.0 release and see what sort of decks people start making. Buy packs based on what looks good. The new core removes a lot of cards, but extends the life of some which were expected to rotate out. It's quite the shake-up. Some factions will barely be recognisable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I just saw 2.0 ugh.
I have 3 core sets already so I'm not gung ho about buying a new core.
It does look like they dumped a bunch of cards Where the hell is Noise! Anarch was my jam and I'm seeing this

-Noise
-Deja Vu
-Grimoire
-Corroder
-Djinn
-Medium
-Parasite
-Wyrm
-Yog.0
-Wyldside

What am I supposed to use against the corporate scum harsh language?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
What am I supposed to use against the corporate scum harsh language?

Harsh Language would be an excellent name for an Anarch card.

As someone else noted, the new core is better balanced with counters against corp cards in the same set. So clearly it's not impossible - you just have to forget your old ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP: If you own the Genesis and Spin Cycle, you will already have 3 of all the cards in the new core, so it doesn't inpact you at all in terms of buying things, no reason to be upset!

The new core will be great for the game.

What you want to buy obviously depends on who you play against and how you play -- are you interested in cards that are fun and interesting, or are you interested in competing in tournaments? (Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive.)

If you want some generally strong and useful cards for the runner (since you seem to be scared that the corp is too strong), I suggest getting the data pack Blood Money from the Flashpoint cycle.
It contains Paperclip, the new standard Fracter (probably very important with Corroder gone), and also Temüjin Contract, a powerful Criminal economy card. Beth Kilrain-Chang is a good and versatile Shaper Resource, and Prisec is a great upgrade, especially for Weyland. Also, Special Report is probably the best post-rotation Jackson replacement in NBN. And these are all in that single pack!

Otherwise: How about looking at some decklists online that you like and seeing which packs you need to buy to play them?
I always find it hard to recommend single packs otherwise, and it seems like you already own almost all big boxes. I'd get the remaining big box, too -- I think they all flesh out their factions very nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick addendum: If you like Anarch, why do you not have Order & Chaos?
Or do you just like Noise in particular?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels to me like a lot of the cards they ditched from the Core were the ones that made Agenda Flood so terrible. Since they didn't bring Jackson back, they needed to balance it a bit. I'm very happy with the meta shakeup. I feel a bit bad for people who have Core 1.0 and none of the first two cycles, but I suspect that's a relatively low number of people.

I wish FFG would do a bit more consumer service by offering a "completion" pack that evened out the core with full playsets, but that's clearly not something they're planning to do.

I have two Core 1.0 and will probably buy 1 Core 2.0 to get those sweet alt arts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.