Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been considering adding an abstract strategy game to my collection that plays more then 2 players. In particular, I've been considering Glüx, Santorini, Element, and Photosynthesis.

I've played Glux quite a bit and enjoy it, so I am mainly comparing the others to it. Element I played once at 2 players and thought it was fun. I liked the random draw actually, but wondered if it might be too strong a factor. Santorini I have only played on Tabletopia, but wonder how it will play with more then 2.

If you have played more then one of these, please comment on which you liked best, and how you think it plays with more then 2 players. Also, I don't mind meanness or luck in an abstract game, and actually welcome it to some degree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Santorini with three players and it's okay, but better with 2. The problem, I run into at least, is that one player can be about to win the next turn, so the player that goes next sets up the third player to win instead. It's a bit petty and that win will definitely have an asterisk next to it!

I would really like to play with four, but haven't had the chance yet. I could see the decisions getting really interesting as one player may be trying to setup their partner to best utilize their God's power. I'm looking forward to trying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
You know Glüx, and to me this is clearly the best one of the games you mentioned. In my experience, Glux is one of the games everybody can agree upon. The reactions in different groups ranged from "It's okay" to "Wow, that's awesome!!"- but nobody disliked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Element two player, but I really enjoy that game 4 player. the concept of one person targeting you and you targeting a different person adds a lot to the game. Based on that, i think two player would play totally different since it is more head to head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nussknackerz wrote:
I have played Santorini with three players and it's okay, but better with 2. The problem, I run into at least, is that one player can be about to win the next turn, so the player that goes next sets up the third player to win instead. It's a bit petty and that win will definitely have an asterisk next to it!

I would really like to play with four, but haven't had the chance yet. I could see the decisions getting really interesting as one player may be trying to setup their partner to best utilize their God's power. I'm looking forward to trying it!

I agree. Santorini is quick and fun with 2 or 3 but better with 2. 3 is a bit chaotic and yet fun in that regard as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Alexidor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have been torn between Glux vs Element...which do you prefer?

Is Element a much heavier game than Glux? I really enjoy Indigo and am looking for another group Abstract Strategy game in that vein; not too brain-burny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reprint of Torres will be available soon, if it isn't already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.