Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kitara cycle will be the first post-rotation foray into the future of Netrunner, and kicks off with Sovereign Sight- the first data pack.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/soverei...

"Atop the rippling waters of Lake Victoria, a second beanstalk lies nascent and full of promise. To see it rise—to see a second Earth Station rise into space—the nations of the Sub-Saharan League have set aside their differences, and the result has been an economic and cultural renaissance. Everything that was old is new again."

This seems to be confirmation of the rumor I heard that the next narrative arc of Netrunner would take place in Africa. There is a brief introduction in the Worlds of Android sourcebook that describes the next space elevator under construction on the shores of Lake Victoria.

"Here, the members of the Sub-Saharan League (SSL) work tirelessly to construct a new link between the world of dirt and the limitless expanse beyond Earth's atmosphere."

Kitara itself refers to the former, expansive African kingdom of Bunyoro-Kitara that covered large parts of modern Uganda, northern Tanzania, eastern Congo (DRC), Rwanda and Burundi before its fragmentation in the 1400s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Kitara

I'm sure we'll learn more about these first 20 cards after we navigate the major impacts of rotation (I don't even recognize Anarch anymore and Criminal lost some really good tools in Account Siphon and Desperado). However, my casual sensitivities tell me:

Gene Splicer + Mushin no Shin = Difficult Runner dilemmas

Jinja City Grid is a reasonable replacement for the loss of Akitaro Watanabe (I think I was the only person who ever played him...)

Imp + Friday Chip = Whizzard's annoying little cousin

Ikawah Project is a pretty decent defensive 5/3 agenda (unfortunately Film Critic is still around)

Urban Renewal is the new stand-in for Scorched Earth -> must be protected for three turns but doesn't need tags or clicks to activate.

I can't tell if Assimilator is an Apex card, but its mechanics strongly suggest it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!

I was hoping the new cycle would be centered around Lake Victoria and the building of the second beanstalk, and now it turns out it is.
So far the cycles centered around a specific place have been thematically the best; San-San and Mumbad are my favourite cycles theme-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.