Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: With the Upcoming App, any point in Rebel Expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason W
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools

In anticipation of the upcoming app for IA, I have been purchasing the boxed expansions and the blisters of imperial models to get everything painted before the app drops, however I am questioning the need to buy the rebel blisters. I have experience playing the descent app and can clearly see the value in having additional enemy forces to chose from, but with the imperial assault app is there any point in picking up Lando, Princess Leia, rebel troopers or rebel saboteurs?

Just trying to ensure I spend my resources on my best bang for my buck prior to the app dropping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You would need to ask the developers, and they might not be able to answer (neither confirm nor deny).

FFG will tell when they are ready to do so.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Depends on How the app works, if it mirrors the existing campaigns then you will see heroes (Allies) in up to a few of the story missions:

Core Campaign - Han Solo, Luke Skywalker
Twin Shadows - Han Solo, R2D2, C3P0
Return to Hoth - Princess Leia
Bespin Gambit - Lando
Jabbas Palace - Jedi Luke

For larger campaigns you have the chance of the allies appearing in selected side missions, if the rebels win that mission, you can then bring the earned Ally to nearly every following mission for a threat cost.

Saying all that the app may work completely differently to the campaigns already launched.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Is the APP a definite? I heard there were some hurdles FFG had to get over before they could do anything electronic for Star Wars. If it's coming that's great news.

To answer your question, you probably don't need them as you can just use the disc that represents them but you know a cardboard flat disc with a face imprint is not going to satisfy. Still you don't need the figs to play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest news from FFG in the In Flight Report 2017 during GenCon50 was that the app is in play-testing.

It doesn't sound like there are any hurdles other than making sure it works as well as anyone could hope for.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't actually understand why the app would make the rebel blisters any more obsolete than a normal campaign?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
Is the APP a definite? I heard there were some hurdles FFG had to get over before they could do anything electronic for Star Wars.

I believe that was just speculation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's like the Descent app, you tell the app which expansions you own, and the app will then use the villains from all those expansions (most likely in a random fashion). Plus, those heroes will be made available, those items in the stores, etc.

So yes, I would say there's still reason to stay current on all expansions.

-shnar
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
inaholeintheground wrote:
jphien wrote:
Is the APP a definite? I heard there were some hurdles FFG had to get over before they could do anything electronic for Star Wars.

I believe that was just speculation.

They reconfirmed at GenCon that they are still working on it. No release date, but that's at least good news that at the very least FFG is optimistic that they will be able to release this product.

-shnar
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, the rebel packs, like everything else, add a new mission. I have no idea how the new app might work, but if it lets you play any mission, then having more content is always good. And without those ally missions, you can't access those good guys as playable in other games. Being able to bring a friend along into missions really shakes the game up for both sides.

If you're set on buying everything under the sun, no reason to skip the rebels.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I still hope (but only because I'm hopeful), that the app will work as a way for the imperial player to keep track of the campaign and scenarios. I would completely LOVE if the app would have this functionality.

However FFG most probably will do what was done with Descent and MoM app... anyway, answering the question raised in the thread: First we can't be sure since we don't know how exactly will the app work, but either way I believe it is worthy, for the reasnos other people already answered here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't represent them and I'm not a reputable source, but since they have an app for Descent and it seems to be going well I can't imagine them not doing an app for IA.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
You kind of need extra rebels for skirmish, possibly the app also allows you to play against the AI in skirmish mode.

Also there can be some good cards here and there in the figure packs. there's Obi-Wan for example who comes with a lightsaber as a tier 3 item. It's attack is the perception of the wielder. Seems like a must for Diala if you fail to get her lightsaber, it's an improvement for Davith over his own lightsaber too since the extra dice allows for more surges.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Digimortal wrote:
Depends on How the app works, if it mirrors the existing campaigns then you will see heroes (Allies) in up to a few of the story missions:

Core Campaign - Han Solo, Luke Skywalker
Twin Shadows - Han Solo, R2D2, C3P0
Return to Hoth - Princess Leia
Bespin Gambit - Lando
Jabbas Palace - Jedi Luke

For larger campaigns you have the chance of the allies appearing in selected side missions, if the rebels win that mission, you can then bring the earned Ally to nearly every following mission for a threat cost.

Saying all that the app may work completely differently to the campaigns already launched.


Not to mention generic trooper types also showing up in story and side missions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
But has there been any new info about the app becoming a reality? They have not said anything about it for more than a year... or have I missed something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaede11 wrote:
But has there been any new info about the app becoming a reality? They have not said anything about it for more than a year... or have I missed something?


About 5 posts above yours:
shnar wrote:
inaholeintheground wrote:
jphien wrote:
Is the APP a definite? I heard there were some hurdles FFG had to get over before they could do anything electronic for Star Wars.

I believe that was just speculation.

They reconfirmed at GenCon that they are still working on it. No release date, but that's at least good news that at the very least FFG is optimistic that they will be able to release this product.

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaede11 wrote:
But has there been any new info about the app becoming a reality? They have not said anything about it for more than a year... or have I missed something?

(Like I said above) In their In Flight Report at GenCon50 last month FFG said the app is in testing.

For example:

At 52:08 and at 59:15.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
Kaede11 wrote:
But has there been any new info about the app becoming a reality? They have not said anything about it for more than a year... or have I missed something?


About 5 posts above yours:
shnar wrote:
inaholeintheground wrote:
jphien wrote:
Is the APP a definite? I heard there were some hurdles FFG had to get over before they could do anything electronic for Star Wars.

I believe that was just speculation.

They reconfirmed at GenCon that they are still working on it. No release date, but that's at least good news that at the very least FFG is optimistic that they will be able to release this product.

-shnar


Man, sorry, I was working and wrote it quickly without reading all the thread ^^'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaede11 wrote:
Man, sorry, I was working and wrote it quickly without reading all the thread ^^'


No worries! Was just pointing it out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Armstrong
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my thoughts here.

I don't think that the IA App will just be a copy of Road to Legend. I expect there to be many more features due to the Star Wars brand. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be an option to play as the Imperials.

Maybe a Skirmish army builder component. So many possibilities.

Can't wait!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronatola wrote:
Just my thoughts here.

I don't think that the IA App will just be a copy of Road to Legend. I expect there to be many more features due to the Star Wars brand. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be an option to play as the Imperials.

Maybe a Skirmish army builder component. So many possibilities.

Can't wait!!


I think a lot of people are making assumptions based on the Road to Legend app for Descent.

The only information that FFG has provided is "An IA App is being developed". This could mean anything. A point calculator for Skirmish armies. Background music for Campaign and Skirmish. A simple digital campaign record sheet. An app where you can order more physical product. Maybe all of the above.

We can speculate and assume all we want, but we really have absolutely no idea what this "IA App" is until FFG chooses to release more info. And I wouldn't worry about whether the "IA App" will make any physical product obsolete until we actually get any official information on the App from FFG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
Ronatola wrote:
Just my thoughts here.

I don't think that the IA App will just be a copy of Road to Legend. I expect there to be many more features due to the Star Wars brand. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be an option to play as the Imperials.

Maybe a Skirmish army builder component. So many possibilities.

Can't wait!!


I think a lot of people are making assumptions based on the Road to Legend app for Descent.

The only information that FFG has provided is "An IA App is being developed". This could mean anything. A point calculator for Skirmish armies. Background music for Campaign and Skirmish. A simple digital campaign record sheet. An app where you can order more physical product. Maybe all of the above.

We can speculate and assume all we want, but we really have absolutely no idea what this "IA App" is until FFG chooses to release more info. And I wouldn't worry about whether the "IA App" will make any physical product obsolete until we actually get any official information on the App from FFG.

I second what Cris said, and I add this: after the announcement of Fantasy Flight Interactive, I'm now considering also a full app game based on the Imperial Assault brand, maybe allowing online gaming with other players? (yeah, that is a stretch... but I do second all that Cris said. I'm personally hoping it has a way to manage our campaigns on the app)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Bohde8781 wrote:
Ronatola wrote:
Just my thoughts here.

I don't think that the IA App will just be a copy of Road to Legend. I expect there to be many more features due to the Star Wars brand. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be an option to play as the Imperials.

Maybe a Skirmish army builder component. So many possibilities.

Can't wait!!


I think a lot of people are making assumptions based on the Road to Legend app for Descent.

The only information that FFG has provided is "An IA App is being developed". This could mean anything. A point calculator for Skirmish armies. Background music for Campaign and Skirmish. A simple digital campaign record sheet. An app where you can order more physical product. Maybe all of the above.

We can speculate and assume all we want, but we really have absolutely no idea what this "IA App" is until FFG chooses to release more info. And I wouldn't worry about whether the "IA App" will make any physical product obsolete until we actually get any official information on the App from FFG.


This. If people are buying up IA stuff in anticipation of the app, for god's sake: stop. It'll still be there when the app comes out, wait and see. Unless you're buying them to get them all painted or whatever, there's no reason to be doing so. It's like buying expansions for a game you don't yet own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Johnnymaxx wrote:

I second what Cris said, and I add this: after the announcement of Fantasy Flight Interactive, I'm now considering also a full app game based on the Imperial Assault brand, maybe allowing online gaming with other players? (yeah, that is a stretch... but I do second all that Cris said. I'm personally hoping it has a way to manage our campaigns on the app)


That's seen as unlikely as FFG don't have the rights to digital Star Wars games. But then they didn't have the rights to Star Wars board games either and managed to figure something out with Hasbro so...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Armstrong
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Bohde8781 wrote:
Ronatola wrote:
Just my thoughts here.

I don't think that the IA App will just be a copy of Road to Legend. I expect there to be many more features due to the Star Wars brand. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be an option to play as the Imperials.

Maybe a Skirmish army builder component. So many possibilities.

Can't wait!!


I think a lot of people are making assumptions based on the Road to Legend app for Descent.

The only information that FFG has provided is "An IA App is being developed". This could mean anything. A point calculator for Skirmish armies. Background music for Campaign and Skirmish. A simple digital campaign record sheet. An app where you can order more physical product. Maybe all of the above.

We can speculate and assume all we want, but we really have absolutely no idea what this "IA App" is until FFG chooses to release more info. And I wouldn't worry about whether the "IA App" will make any physical product obsolete until we actually get any official information on the App from FFG.


This. If people are buying up IA stuff in anticipation of the app, for god's sake: stop. It'll still be there when the app comes out, wait and see. Unless you're buying them to get them all painted or whatever, there's no reason to be doing so. It's like buying expansions for a game you don't yet own.


I beg to differ. I bought most of Descent when Road to Legend was announced and was looking for a Splig and other lieutenants for 6 months.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.