Subject: Tips for keeping going with your board game projects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Feeny
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer

Hi Everyone,

We've written an article on how to stay motivated and keep at your board game design projects, based on our experience in designing our game.

Let us know if you agree with our points? Anything else you would add?

https://www.ganglygames.com/blog/passionprojects

Hoping you all find this helpful in your work.

Feedback welcome!

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will read it tonight or tomorrow, looks good though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Sanders
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GhostDM23 wrote:
Good read!

This really said it, I hope the Kickstarter goes well for you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I come more from the digital game perspective, but this all holds up. The most important thing in a creative project is momentum - it is so hard to create, and so easy to lose. Social pressure, deadline pressure, and just getting in the habit of doing something on the project every day, are all good ways to ensure that the momentum doesn't stall. I think every project of mine has ended with a day where I said, "I think I'll work on this tomorrow instead of today because I'm tired of it today."

Remembering to have fun is certainly a good point that is so easy to get lost in the woods.

I hadn't even noticed your use of fizzle throughout the article until you pointed it out lol.

Less fizzle more sizzle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Feeny
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
spicyqueso15 wrote:
GhostDM23 wrote:
Good read!

This really said it, I hope the Kickstarter goes well for you guys!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Feeny
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
saluk wrote:
I come more from the digital game perspective, but this all holds up. The most important thing in a creative project is momentum - it is so hard to create, and so easy to lose. Social pressure, deadline pressure, and just getting in the habit of doing something on the project every day, are all good ways to ensure that the momentum doesn't stall. I think every project of mine has ended with a day where I said, "I think I'll work on this tomorrow instead of today because I'm tired of it today."

Remembering to have fun is certainly a good point that is so easy to get lost in the woods.

I hadn't even noticed your use of fizzle throughout the article until you pointed it out lol.

Less fizzle more sizzle?

Yeah youre right, momentum is the word that captures the first 3 points in 1. Less fizzle more sizzle indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beverly Bates
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Great article with a ton of good advice.

I would say the first step is to asses the desired scope of the project and then apply the ideals in your article to that scope. For example, I've made a game by myself, but it was a tiny game for a class, while my current project has involved tons of people helping with design and playtesting (and I haven't even hired artists and manufacturing yet blush). So keeping scale consistent to the project is important to keeping up the momentum and success of the project overall (in my experience)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good article. I do some of that already, like work in spurts. The spurts aren't tied to any deadline, though, it's just when I feel like it. Also, I have a couple of people that I bounce ideas off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Feeny
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Solaine wrote:
Great article with a ton of good advice.

I would say the first step is to asses the desired scope of the project and then apply the ideals in your article to that scope. For example, I've made a game by myself, but it was a tiny game for a class, while my current project has involved tons of people helping with design and playtesting (and I haven't even hired artists and manufacturing yet blush). So keeping scale consistent to the project is important to keeping up the momentum and success of the project overall (in my experience)

Yeah that's a good build, assessing the size and scale first to judge how much effort you need to keep momentum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Feeny
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
bill437 wrote:
Good article. I do some of that already, like work in spurts. The spurts aren't tied to any deadline, though, it's just when I feel like it. Also, I have a couple of people that I bounce ideas off.

Thanks Carl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.