Histrio» Forums » General

Subject: The Theme is all over the place.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game's mechanic is nice, and the art is probably one of the prettiest I ever saw. The theme of the theater is also super interesting, but the way they executed it is a total mayhem!!

First of all I don't understand why the hell are my managers going on stage. Seriously, what's the deal with that? They should've been called Super Stars, or Primma Donnas, or Celebrities, or something along those lines! This would also explain why the more superstars you have on stage you get higher score! And why whenever the Genre Demand changes the current super stars fall from their title! Managers though?! What do they do on stage exactly?!

The 2nd thing for me is the "Actors". It's really hard for me to grasp how a game like this, which gave to so many relatively small components like the secret objectives unique art and character design, but ALL the comedy and tragedy actors look THE SAME, regardless of their strength!
I mean it's a game about theater, how come the secret objective cards (which should be I guess patrons who come to see the shows) get more focus then the actors themselves?! Thematically and artistically!

I think the "actor" cards should not have been actors at all but plays. Then you would have Level 1 Tragedy Plays and Level 1 Comedy Plays and this would've made a lot more sense and would actually make this game's thematic experience much stronger.

I also don't understand the "Acrobats" title but I might've changed those to "Actors" and then be done with it.

That's my idea! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this was a translation issue and managers mean something a little bit different in other parts of the world? (no idea just spit balling here).

But you are right...why ARE the managers the ones going up on stage?

Although they are very gorgeous looking managers so maybe they were once superstars themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of them as of impressarios, not "managers" in traditional corporate way. They get at the stage to promote (on streets) and announce (during play).

Actor, by the definition of the word, is a person who can act. This means that he can play whatever role and thus whatever mood. Changing pictures just because the mood would be somewhat weird, too. Although I agree that some components could be treated better here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually in the French version ( the original game language) those where "Directors".

And this made completely sense to me because they had to direct the rehersals before the play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McCoy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
and His Amazing Zoo Crew!
badge
I'm Spader-Man.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the theme is very strange. They're living in Shakespearean times, but they're...animals. And you didn't even mention how weird it is that the pieces are like...steampunk airships or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.