Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formations can only interact with those listed on their card, and this game uses a bit of abstraction. Still, I'd like to place the formations in their appropriate historical location and it would help speed setup. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason with the order of the card numbers and I can't find anything else.

Am I missing something painfully obvious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Battle of the Dunes earlier and agree it would be nice to have suggested card arrangements. But it did make me research the battle to get an idea of relative positions. I'll post what I came up with for that scenario, in case anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are generally numbered from left to right (or from right to left) for the respective sides.

For example, in White Mountain, you can arrange the cards for the Catholic/Imperial side as follows from left to right:

* Twelve Apostles
* Catholic League Cavalry
* Catholic League Infantry
* Imperial Cavalry
* Liechtenstein
* Tiefenbach (alternatively, place behind Liechtenstein to show he is in reserve)

This basically matches the historical disposition of troops, though because the cavalry and infantry was somewhat intermixed, it's not a 1:1 thing.

The opposing side, on the other hand, would set up as follows left to right:

* Thurn
* Protestant Cavalry
* Hohenlohe
* Schlick

Though again, there's some intermixing with the Protestant Cavalry in particular, but: Thurn was on the right, Schlick was on the left, and Hohenlohe was in the middle, so it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

For Marston Moor, Rupert's forces are numbered from right to left, and the Parliamentarian's from left to right.

Plains of Abraham has the British numbered from left to right, and the French from right to left.

Because Bosworth is small (in terms of number of cards), the "organizing principle", as it were, is first, the main fighting force, second, the monarch (or monarch to be), and third, the wing in reserve.

Malplaquet has the French from left-to-right, with their Reserves listed last, and the Grand Alliance is also left-to-right.

Ivry has Henri IV from left-to-right, and the opposing forces from right-to-left.

The Battle of the Dunes is a bit trickier - the cannons somewhat throw it off - but generally it follows left-to-right for French/English and right-to-left for the Spanish.

Finally, Brooklyn Heights arrays the Brits from left-to-right, and the Americans from right-to-left.

Now, that being said, I generally numbered cards in Reserve immediately after the cards whose Retirement or Rout will bring them into play.

I think during the initial, solo playtests (before face-to-face games, and before I turned it over to others to playtest), when it was all written out on cards with a pen, I likely numbered the cards directly in front of me from left-to-right, and then went up to the next row and numbered them from right-to-left most of the time. For whatever reason, I didn't prioritize the numbering system, and it didn't come up in playtesting. This is something I can do a better job with as I'm putting some finishing touches on the first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little diagram on the scenario card would be swell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
A little diagram on the scenario card would be swell.

Consistency in the numbering would have been ideal, but yeah, I agree.

I just played the first four scenarios with my wife. I figured left to right was the deal and it works for the White Mountain (as far as I know, there is a pathetic amount of easily accessible maps on the Interwebs). Then Marston Moor happened and the Royalists are clearly not ordered that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:

Malplaquet has the French from left-to-right, with their Reserves listed last, and the Grand Alliance is also left-to-right.

Sure looks like, from the maps I can find and their own card interactions- from their own left to right:

French: Reserves, Villars, Center, Boufflers

Grand Alliance: Orange, Marlbourgh, Lottum, Schlemburg, Withers with Orkney in reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.