Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of the Brandywine in the American Revolutionary War. September 11th, 1777. Presented in the form of an animated map:

http://westernheritagemapping.org//RevWar/Brandywine/Brandyw...

A few other RevWar animated maps here:

http://westernheritagemapping.org/

I just thought they were cool! (Especially since most of these happened in my extended neighborhood).

Apologies if this is a dupe.

- as
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I thought you were going to mention the 1973 coup in Chile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

Or the Battle of Malplaquet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umberto Colapicchioni
Switzerland
Genestrerio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The battle during the Siege of Vienna in 1683!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

Definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want ot know if the Battle of the Brandywine involved hobbits and/or a bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was actually at Brandywine Battlefield on Sept 10th and got to hear a talk by a local historian who had figured out where General Howe was headquartered...no one had known where the house was until now! He also had discovered a lot of new information about the routes that the British took before the battle.

Made me wonder if a new wargame could be designed using this newly uncovered information...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Wilmington, DE back in January. I saw Brandywine Creek, but found no battle site. I was told that no such historic park existed and that the battle site ran through residential neighborhoods. Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I was in Wilmington, DE back in January. I saw Brandywine Creek, but found no battle site. I was told that no such historic park existed and that the battle site ran through residential neighborhoods. Did I miss something?

Yeah it's across the border in PA.

http://brandywinebattlefield.org/

There's a few more of the sites around the main one. It was really cool being there during the exact week the fighting took place, I could actually visualize a lot of the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jb jeanba
France
flag msg tools
DownriverRick wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Or the Battle of Malplaquet

Add to this the assault on Barcelona : 11 sept 1713

The death of the french ace Guynemer : 11 sept 1917
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Streaky wrote:
I was actually at Brandywine Battlefield on Sept 10th and got to hear a talk by a local historian ..

Awesome! Who was the historian? Was it Thomas J. McGuire?
I ask because I heard a talk of his where he discovered British records of their army being camped near Valley Forge. One of the British officer's diaries even had a watercolor painting of the countryside which allowed him to identify where exactly their camp was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

Yes and No. You did miss it, but it's a tiny little park just off of Route 1 in PA. It is somewhat underwhelming compared to so many other sites nearby, such as Fort Mifflin, Valley Forge park, Independence Hall, etc. so no, you did not miss much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
andre_sand wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Yes and No. You did miss it, but it's a tiny little park just off of Route 1 in PA. It is somewhat underwhelming compared to so many other sites nearby, such as Fort Mifflin, Valley Forge park, Independence Hall, etc. so no, you did not miss much.

OK, thanks. We saw Independence Hall and ran up the museum steps and had a cheesesteak. We went to Wilmington just so we could say we were in Delaware.

We were back out in that neck of the woods last week and saw Gettysburg, Trenton, and Monmouth. Lots of good history out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

Hmmmm... This should be covered in a separate thread, but maybe it's time to make a wargame out of that event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
andre_sand wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Hmmmm... This should be covered in a separate thread, but maybe it's time to make a wargame out of that event.

I designed one some time ago, testing it now!
Multiplayer (2-4), small, fast, hidden agendas....

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.