United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inflammatory thread title I know. But seriously, if retailers can back this for 50 a copy, why wouldn't I just wait and order it from GreenWhatever Games (or whoever that guy is who does all the KS preorders). Even with a retailer margin and shipping, seems like 50 cost translates to about 90 total, without any "KS risk". Maybe that's the point, but it it seems counter-productive to moi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
...this is how board game work.

Also you'll miss the KSEs if you don't buy now.

The whole point of Kickstarter is that it isn't how board games work. Sidestepping the whole distribution chain, etc. KSing is more akin to buying direct, and the "KS price" is generally expected to be equivalent, value-wise, to wholesale (+ KS's 10%, natch). If the wholesale of a pledge is $50, that's what a pledge is worth.

I won't miss the exclusives if I buy from one of the retail pledgees. May only be a few right now, but there is still almost 4 weeks to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Inflammatory thread title I know. But seriously, if retailers can back this for 50 a copy, why wouldn't I just wait and order it from GreenWhatever Games (or whoever that guy is who does all the KS preorders). Even with a retailer margin and shipping, seems like 50 cost translates to about 90 total, without any "KS risk". Maybe that's the point, but it it seems counter-productive to moi.

yes, absolutely.
If you have any concerns over a KS, then you shouldn't back it. Don't get baited by exclusives.

You are "pledging" your money, not "ordering" a product with KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that link elsewhere and I'll re-link it because I think it was good data, but I'm gonna back out from here as I don't want to get into an internet battle.

Link that was above: https://blog.foxtrotgames.com/2016/02/05/distribution-cash-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
No antagonism intended, boardgamesdotEXE. Just friendly debate. Your opinions are totally welcome in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I don't think you were antagonizing at all. I've recently noticed my own tendency to defend things too strongly, particularly about Kickstarters, and wanted to make sure I didn't go there with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
From the retailer point of view: why would I even give my distributor the time of day if they ask me about ordering your game when you already ninjad all of my most excited customers?

This is some campaigns' answer.

*shrugs*

Do what will give you the best deal if that's all you're concerned with (it's usually all I am! Some companies or stores I don't mind supporting regardless cause I like them existing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Reynolds
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I would be interested in going in for a group-buy with three other people to get the game for $50 using the retailer pledge.

I'm in the UK if anybody is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando theTech
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most retailers pledges I've seen on KS previously have required some proof that you are a retailer to prevent things like this

so worth checking before you pin your hopes on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Convento
United States
flag msg tools
mb
silverbowen wrote:

Despite that vendor who sells KS being able to get it for cheaper, that vendor will typically sell this either at the same price or higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more trouble with retailer pledges, though. The kickstarter model doesn't work terribly well for them, not because it is hard to keep up normal margins but because Time=Money.

Retail works on a profit/investment cycle. Basically, money they invest in stock translates into potential on the shelves right away- when it sells, they reinvest in more stock right away (with some parts packed away for operation costs/profit). If a store doesn't keep this cycle up, it will go out of business.

Tying up money in a Kickstarter basically prevents that same money from cycling- where it could turn over a LOT of times in the year or three between a KS campaign and delivery. So you're basically removing that amount from your inventory and potential profits until the KS delivers.

There are three ways to make a store's participation in KS make sense:

1- The store takes orders (and money) while the KS is running. This is what I saw with the Dark Souls KS- local stores just acted as middle man for the KS.

2- Stores are not required to pay during the Kickstarter, and instead make deals behind the KS (that don't add to stretch goals). CMON now does this.

3- Retailers make a lot more money than usual to justify the long term investment. I've seen some Kickstarters really go out of their way to make the retailer pledges worth more than normal retail margins.

In the case of Barnacle Bay, we'll be seeing either 1 or 3. Either retailers are taking people's money right now, or they'll sell them for a lot more than $90.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.