Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro Page

2017 Mint Tin Design Contest: Component Ready

This is where I will post resources for investigating the game design process of Shiver Me (Tin)bers. I will provide seven areas (still under development) that you can explore to understand more of the mechanics, art, direction, theme, and even game play. Thank you, and know that feedback is always welcome.

#1 Theme

Pirates didn't always blow up and steal things or even throw people overboard. Most of the time, they sat around drinking and complaining about how they "didn't get their fair share of the booty." But, what most people don't know is, they spent a great deal of time dueling each other in a nice game. This game, of course, was Shiver Me Tinbers. This game allows for two players to go head-to-head in controlling a fleet of four different types of ships to protect you islands as well as attack your opponents'. Use a number of different actions to move, attack, acquire resources, and execute special supports. The pirate to destroy three of their opponents islands wins and is declared the pirate! Will you conquer your foe or shiver in your tinbers?

#2 Major Game Elements

- High skill ceiling
- 2 players (can be expanded to up to 4)
- 30-45 minutes
- Unique support abilities
- Tactical movement
- Quick turns
- Some bluffing and hidden information
- Few components
- Deceptively simple mechanics
- Interesting catch-up mechanic

#3 Graphics: UPDATED 9/12/17

Coming soon...

#4 Work Bench: UPDATED 11/2/17

[Legend]
[+] What has been added
[*] What is being tested
[-] What has been removed
[#] What stage of development I am working on

#Currently testing game on Tabletop Simulator#
#Editing the rules#

#5 Rule Book: UPDATED 11/17/17

Shiver Me Tinbers Rules 1.5

#6 Tabletop Simulator/Tabletopia

*Under Construction*

#7 Print and Play: UPDATED 11/17/17

Shiver Me Tinbers PnP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back Story
I am starting to get back to the feeling of when I was first inspired for the game. Its actually a funny story and quite remarkable how fast the mechanics developed. My family and I went camping for a few days near a lake, and I, bringing a standard deck of cards, wished to create a new game with my brother (something I get inspiration from most times). I sat down on a picnic table facing the water front and witnessed two speed boats passing by looking as if on a mission. I wondered how this would look with cards and so I lined up for cards horizontal in a row in front of me while also doing the same thing for my brother. These were our islands. Our objective: place a boat (a card) or move a boat on your turn attempting to get them to the other players island. As we developed the game, we added combat, destroying islands, special combos, until we came across (very shortly after coming up with the game) the main mechanic that sparked true genius: when a boat dies, you can replace it with a card in your hand. So simple, yet created so many possibilities. Originally the game was called Double Boat. My brother likes to break rules and in doing so, placed two cards from his hand instead of one because they had the same value and shouted "DOUBLE BOAT". The name stuck, at least for the standard playing cards. Throughout our time camping I polished the rules and decided that I wanted to make this a real game. It was simple, complex in that every game brought unique challenges, and compact in its design. From then on, the design process has been a blast (and also difficult at times).

Can't wait to hear from you guys. Comments and criticism are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test Results #1
I'm finding that the game gives players a lot of tools for attacking islands, but not too many for defending your own islands.

Current Issues:

#1 Few options for defending your islands

Current Solutions:

#1 Allow players to to upgrade the integrity (value) of their islands for 1 CP by replacing an island with a card from their hand and discard the island to the bottom of their discard pile.

What I didn't want was another way of preventing the other player form attacking, but I did want to give the player more utilities as to deal with/prepare for an on coming attack. This sounds like it will do just that. I will be testing it more sometime today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Print and Play is up!!
This Print and Play version is complete. Very simple components to this game. 7 pages of cards (total). The file only has 4 pages but you will need to have a second copy of the last three pages (to create two decks). If you get a chance to try it or even just look at the rules, let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Support Types
Added two more support types to the game. Here is a list of each with pros and cons:

Tactic

Description: You can only execute this support your turn. It costs 1 CP and a discard with a value equal to or higher than the value on the support. After executing the action it is exhausted and can be restored by using 1 CP.

Pros: Gives you a lot of control. You choose when the action happens and you immediately take the action and gain the benefits.

Cons: You have to use one of your command points. You will always be contemplating whether executing a tactic is a good idea or not. Giving yourself room to develop is key.

Mission

Description:
This support grants you a free action. In order to execute the action the mission event must be triggered (i.e. Draw two resources on a turn). It costs 0 CP and a discard with a value equal to or higher than the value on the support. . After executing the action it is exhausted and can be restored by using 1 CP.

Pros: Gives you a lot of freedom. Usually mission events aren't terribly hard to trigger. This allows you to play specifically towards a goal while also helping towards winning the game.

Cons:
You have to work for it. In order to gain the benefits, you must fulfill the requirements. This is tough because you might fulfill the mission event at a time when you really don't need the ability. Planning is key.

Augment

Description: You can only execute this support your turn. It costs 1 CP and one discard with a value equal to or higher than the value on the support. When you execute the support, you will place it on a boat, giving that boat the ability on the support as well as a increase to its value. When the boat is destroyed, the support is brought back in front of you exhausted and can be restored by using 1 CP.

Pros:Gives you a lot of power. Being able to boost the power of any of your boats as well as give them an ability will cause your opponent to scramble for an answer.

Cons: You can lose your support rather quickly. If you don't pick the right boat, it is easy to place all of your focus on keeping your augmented boat alive while ignoring possible holes in your defenses. Placement is key.

Leader

Description: This support grants you a free action typically attached to another action or when another action is executed. It costs 0 CP and does not exhaust when used. The leader support is only exhausted when an enemy boat makes it on shore or when an island is attacked. Restoring this support costs two discard with a value equal to or higher than the value on the support.

Pros: Gives you a lot of use. You only don't get to use the support when you get attacked. Also, it is absolutely free to use the ability on the support.

Cons: You need a lot of resources. Recovering from an attack is brutal as you will need to discard two cards to restore the support. Keeping your hand full is key.

-----

Not only do you get one of these supports, but two. Each support has their own unique abilities. How you choose to build your supports will determine your play style (Aggressive Commander = Augment + Augment; Passive Builder = Mission + Leader; etc.). Excited to see these turn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Testing Supports
Tested a new way of using and restoring supports. Still a very interesting experience and every game is VASTLY difference from the next. I am just worried I am adding to the game instead of making it more elegant. We'll see.

Essentially, when you use a support, you will use 1 CP (command point), exhaust the support, and execute the ability by usually exposing one card from your hand, equal to or higher than the value on your support, by placing it in front of you in what is called your reserves. This is an area where your cards are revealed. They can still be used like any other card in your hand, but the players are aware of their value. In order to restore an exhausted support, you must, for a free action, expose any card from your hand (by placing it in your reserves).

Two reasons why I like this:

1). Adds another resource to manage: how exposed you are. If you are too exposed (you've used your supports too much), the enemy will know exactly how to maneuver against you.

2). Still allows you to use the cards as opposed to before when you had to discard them. Devalues the card as it is revealed to the enemy, but it is still able to be used.

Still testing alternatives, but this seems really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Island Apocalypse - Defend your land; Conquer the sea [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - Component Ready]
Hi Tyler,

I would like to try your game, but at the moment, it isn't PnP friendly at all, lots of dark blue backgrounds. Would you please consider to upload a B&W version or at least one without the dark background?

Thanks,
Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Island Apocalypse - Defend your land; Conquer the sea [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - Component Ready]
DarkPadawan wrote:
Hi Tyler,

I would like to try your game, but at the moment, it isn't PnP friendly at all, lots of dark blue backgrounds. Would you please consider to upload a B&W version or at least one without the dark background?

Thanks,
Dark.

I appreciate the feedback. Changes to the PnP file have been uploaded. Working on the changes to the current rules. Thanks for you interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge Update!!!
Massive update, both to the rules and the print-and-play components:

d10-1The focus of strategic gameplay is now in full affect. I have streamlined and increase the tension of combat, making for harder, more in-depth decision making.

d10-2I constructed the pnp file for simplicity and efficiency while catering to low ink runs. I will be constructing a prototype myself here soon.

d10-3I decreased the cards in each deck from 28 to 20. This will leave more room in the tin and it focuses gameplay allowing for more planned anticipation and strategy when interacting with the deck.

d10-4The four different support types are fully represented and each hold a very different play-style. Replay-ability is theoretically unlimited with these variations and special abilities.

d10-5Supports are much more affordable to use now. I integrated the way to pay for them into an already established action. This gives the player yet another avenue for decision making.

d10-6The rules are updated and revamped. The only thing I did not do was update the graphics in the rule book. It is completely for show at this point. You will have no problem navigating the rules.

Let me know how everything looks and sounds!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible name change
I think the direction of the game is heading towards something with a simpler theme. Possibly no theme surprise. This will also inevitably change the name of the game. I will be pondering this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided on a name and theme change for the contest . I am leaning more towards an abstract game rather than loaded with theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I promise to get you some more feedback on the rules this weekend!

From a quick glance, I'm loving the images for setting up the sea and explaining all the turn actions. (Those arrows are awesome!)

Is there any particular reason the text immediately under the various section headers (Set Up, Turn Actions, Free Actions, etc...) is much smaller than the rest? I find it both distracting and harder to read. I know it is just explaining what the section is about, versus explaining rules of play (well, except for the Turn Actions text, which does actually explain rules), but perhaps having it larger but italics to set it apart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the feedback! To finalize the rules I just need to update the art for those examples but thank you! I will work on those font sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls