3 Posts

Caverna: Cave vs Cave» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 variant ideas. Play with one or play with both rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Berniethered Bernhardt
msg tools
mb
Randomly draw 1 of the 6 starter rooms and place it at the beginning of the action board. This is a common room that both players can use, when activating a room. Once used it is tapped and no longer available to that player until the other player uses it (tapping that room for the other player) or the end of round 3 (2-worker/turn rounds) and round 7 (3-worker/turn rounds).

A use for cardboard chits (not gold though) Food, Wood, Stone, Grain (aka Emmer), & Flax: Chits act as doublers. Can spend one (only one) per turn on any turn to double that resource. One time use. Discard afterwards. Unused chits are worth 2 points each at end of game. If a player uses the doubler first - the other player gets 1 of that resource immediately (unless they are already at 9).

I love thinking of different ways to play games. This game is really fun - amazingly tense and brain-burner-y for how seemingly limited the choices/options are. Not trying to fix anything; just come up with something that still works and makes me think/play differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool ideas.

I really like the shared room idea. I'll definitely have to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do like the idea of a shared room, but thematically I don't think it works. This is cave vs cave, so I assume they are opposing, maybe in adjacent mountains, but certainly not next door to one another. As such, a shared room doesn't make sense. Perhaps a shared altar, or location where players may go and receive a bounty of some sort, but then, each player has this at their cave entrance. As fun as the idea is it needs more development and it needs to fit in to the current game.

The idea of using the unused pieces to essentially double the resource you receive is a nice idea, so I'll give it a try. Thematically it can work as well, the room was able to get more work done on one day as the cave farmer had some extra help. Having it as a one time use works, and with the doubling of the components, you can't even lose when it comes to remembering which of the components you have doubled and which you have not. I use the small circle pieces, and they barely fit on the board, so having a use for the larger pieces that can thematically work and give you another option is definitely something I can get behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.