Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello troops!

As Mark and I are hard at work on the 2nd edition, the possibility of including a 5th Allied player has been raised (this would be included in an expansion, not the base game).

But before spending time and energy on that, I'd be curious to know if there is interest in this. I must admit I don't have a lot of experience playing DDD with 4 players, so I really want to know what you guys think.

I know the main complaint about 4-player games is that it gets easier, because of trading (curse you, Lieutenant!). 2nd Edition will contain an optional rule to make things a little bit more difficult in this case: any additional unit in a sector will add 1 to the DEF of that sector. So if 3 units are present, DEF goes up by 2.

So? How many play multiplayer DDD? Or are all of you guys playing by yourselves? (Naughty naughty!)

Thanks for your feedback!

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume "Line for Life" backers from the original kickstarter will get the new stuff automatically?

And yes, there is interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually only playing 1 or 2 player DDD games - so no need to spend the effort to please me.
Having said that, if it was available, I would probably get it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rapson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi Ron

Please read the first post in this chain. Hopefully that will give you some clarity on what Word Forge Games and Emmanuel are doing for previous backers of Emmanuel's projects and how WFG fits in and its relationship with Valley?Radiant Games:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1791818/once-more-unto-beac...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Roodvoets
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
Solo all the way for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only play solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond de Waard
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several 2 player and some solo plays of DDD. Only once or twice with more players. So I'm not really interested in a 5th player addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joancarles Casasin
Spain
Santa Coloma de Queralt
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only interested in solo/2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiral wrote:

I know the main complaint about 4-player games is that it gets easier, because of trading (curse you, Lieutenant!). 2nd Edition will contain an optional rule to make things a little bit more difficult in this case: any additional unit in a sector will add 1 to the DEF of that sector. So if 3 units are present, DEF goes up by 2.
E

Funny you say this since I just sent you an email regarding this. I played the game last night. We tried a variant where the Lieutenant cannot trade SKULL results. It made the game more interesting in that you roll a skull, you keep it. It made trying to go for what RWB bonus more interesting in that you might just roll a skull and you will not be able to trade it to another unit to get it out of your own pool and possibly give the other player a RWB SKULL bonus.

I think that would work better than changing the rule printed on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
The heroes we deserve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play with 1-2 players, 3 max. I would probably not be interested in pushing it to 5 unless there were specific maps for higher player counts that scale the difficulty accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vote for "No" for a five player game. I've played it 4-player and it was easier, so we don't do that. We play it 3-player quite a bit which is a good game and quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ervin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played solo, 2-player, and 3-player. Less concerning to me than the difficulty (which is easily massaged with rules like the skulls, defense, harder maps or random items) is simply the time it takes -- I can play solo at a decent pace, and 2-player isn't bad, but 3-player progresses a bit too slowly for me to want to add more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heffernan
Canada
Perth
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As many others have said, I also only play this solo, and it is one of my favourite solitaire games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Automatische Piloot
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo, maybe two players. Other games hit the table with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No interest what so ever. Please don't waste time on it. Focus on 1p/2p and then getting Pacific out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be a lot of work to implement for what would be probably less than 1% of how people play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
It would be a lot of work to implement for what would be probably less than 1% of how people play the game.

Actually, it's not a lot of work at all, and most of it was done years ago anyway (design-wise).

Solo players would simply have 1 more option for their color/country (since each color will now have its own set of RWB bonuses, slightly different from the others).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WordForge wrote:
Hi Ron

Please read the first post in this chain. Hopefully that will give you some clarity on what Word Forge Games and Emmanuel are doing for previous backers of Emmanuel's projects and how WFG fits in and its relationship with Valley?Radiant Games:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1791818/once-more-unto-beac...

I don't actually see anything in the first post on that thread that talks about anything more than the fact you're excited to be working on the project (and, that there are some loose plans as to the progress that will take place).

Was there another link you meant to post? This one seems fairly preliminary in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.