Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Congress of Gamers No-ship Math Trade Discussion Thread [Rockville, Maryland] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a no-shipping math trade held at the Congress of Gamers in Rockville, Maryland, on Saturday October 7, 2017.

Follow this link to post your own games that you might want to trade.
Discuss and ask questions about this trade here. The full rules are also here.
Follow this link to get details about the trade at the convention.
There will not be a separate request list for this trade. Just use the discussion thread for such requests.

Timeline (all times Eastern Time):

Open for posting games: Now
Deadline for posting games: Monday, September 25, 2017, 10:00 pm Eastern
Deadline for want list submissions: Monday, October 2, 2017, 10:00 pm Eastern
Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

The thread you are reading is for discussion of the math trade, including complete rules. Please subscribe to this thread so you can be notified of any changes that may occur. I put the rules in this discussion thread instead of the main trade list because they are not repeated on each page (as they would be with a geeklist), making the geeklist more streamlined to browse.

The actual trade will take place at the convention. If you or your proxy are not present and you do not make other arrangements, you will be responsible for all shipping costs to send and receive the games you traded. You will drop off your games on Saturday any time before 2pm. You will pick up your games at the same location any time after 2pm on Saturday. If you cannot be there on Saturday please make other arrangements with your trading partners. Any changes to this schedule or procedure will be posted in this thread.

Rules:

1. You must subscribe to this thread to be informed of changes.

2. The Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) will be used for this trade since it reduces errors and makes generating want lists so much easier. However I will also accept manual submissions by geekmail if you cannot use the OLWLG. Please plan ahead and work with me if you need to exercise this option. One of the benefits of using the OLWLG is that it makes adding games from your BGG "Trade List" very easy. I am available to answer questions and there are guides on how to use it here on the geek. Please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support.

3. Board games, Video Games, RPG items, gift cards and/or certificates, geek gold, and cash are allowed. Use the game item "Outside the Scope of BGG" for geekgold or gift certificates, and include an alternate title such as "+altname+250 geek gold-altname-" or "+altname+$50 gift certificate-altname-" in the description. These special tags make it easier to handle in the OLWLG. If you choose to receive cash, gift certificates, or gift cards, you will need to pay 3% of the value to BoardGameGeek as their commission. After the trade is done, the receiver should create a marketplace listing with "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" for the amount of the gift card, and then have the sender buy it.

4. Please describe your items as fully as possible, including publisher, edition, language, completeness and condition of the game. It is NOT enough to include a picture and say "as pictured," because this does not provide enough information for your fellow traders. Err on the side of too much information. Remember that you want people to pick your items, and the more information they have the more likely they will put your items on their want lists. But don't write a book for each game. Long disclaimers are not pleasant to read either.

5. All items in an offering are to be listed using either the GAMEID formatting (Power Grid) or a link to the game's page (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2651). Do NOT include links to other games in your entry unless you are actually including them as a sweetener, as this is displayed in a misleading manner by the OLWLG. All items in a single geeklist item will trade as a single unit for all items in another geeklist item.

6. In the unlikely case that you've been reported as a bad trader, you should contact me before you participate.

7. It is ok to remove items that are errors or that have been traded away, until the deadline for submitting games has passed. After this deadline, the trade list will be locked and no further changes will be possible. However, you can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've changed your mind or traded it away elsewhere.

8. Only errors by the moderator will invalidate the results. Use of the OLWLG will hopefully reduce any such errors. In the case of problems after the results are posted, they will at most invalidate only the affected trade chain(s) and not the entire result set. In addition if a problem can be resolved by the most directly affected party or parties, then that will be the preferred course of action.

9. Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 with duplicate protection. SEED=74951, ITERATIONS=30, METRIC=USERS-TRADING

If you are new to math trades, check out the following links for a primer on how they work. Feel free to ask specific questions after you have a sense of what they are about. To get started, just add the games that you want to trade as items in this geeklist, one game per item. If you want to offer multiple games as one item (trading it as a bundle) you should add all of the game links to the same geeklist item.

These two cover the same material, but in different learning styles:
The Math Trade wiki page
Math Trades for Dummies

If you need to learn about the online want list generator (OLWLG):
The OLWLG wiki page
Chris' geeklist on How to use Duplicate Protection with the OLWLG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This trade may take a few days to be added to the OLWLG. Last report that JeffyJeff was near the path of hurricane Irma and it is unknown when/if he lost power during the storm.

But to add items from your collection or past trades until the trade can be added, use this link: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/addmygames.cgi?listid=2300...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy! I'm new to the whole math trade thing, so please forgive me...

If the trading is all automated, what is the purpose of the geeklist? Just to drum up interest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The geek list is where you post the items you have for trade and describe their condition/edition/etc. The OLWLG will import the geek list items (along with their descriptions) and then through the OLWLG you will select the items you would accept in exchange for the items you listed.

It is the matching of trades that is automated, you still have to tell the system what you want to trade away (by posting in the geek list) and then what you want to get for each item (through the OLWLG).

If you go to the current US Shipping math trade geek list and scroll down to the helpful links section of the header there are links to several video tutorials for participating in an OLWLG run math trade. I watched Rahdo's videos when I first started participating in math trades and found them really helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha! I thought the OLWLG pulled from your collection.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use the OLWLG to pull items from your collection if you have synced them with the OLWLG. Use the link I mentioned above to get started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
My trade want list
These are games I'm eager to add to the Congress of Gamers Library.

Through the Ages (new edition)
Mage Knight
Keyflower
Clank!
Santorini
Gallerist
Alchemists
Forbidden Stars
Ticket to Ride Europe
Power Grid expansion boards (any are fine)
Captain Sonar
Combat Commander Europe
Isle of Skye
Navegador

I'm also happy to add games from those I sell on BGG marketplace. There are perhaps 764 of them, with many obscure titles, so I won't clutter the trade list until they are requested. See https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/user/Eric%20Engelmann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, a request to list some of your marketplace games:

Alhambra: The Thief's Turn
Lewis and Clark
Niagara
Red Dragon Inn

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted a bunch of games and...I'm looking for a proxy. My ten-year-old has begged enough that I have given in and promised to go camping the weekend of the con, even though I've been really looking forward to the event. (She's my primary gaming partner at this point, so it behooves me to keep her association with gaming positive.)

Is anyone willing and able to drop off my games at the con (I could bring them to your house Friday evening) and pick up games for me to come get the following week? This is assuming I have any trades, of course, but I've got a lot listed and am hoping they grease the wheels of some trade loops.

Please let me know. Maryland would be best (I'm in Silver Spring), DC second, VA third. If it's not possible, I'll leave my want lists blank (but leave the items in the trade, so at least the OLWLG will have the postings for Winter Games Fest!).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colls wrote:
Posted a bunch of games and...I'm looking for a proxy.

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to the event, but if I am I'd be happy to proxy for you. I'm in Laurel, so Silver Spring is pretty close. I'll let you know in the next couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Esok. Is anyone else able to be a backup, in case Esok doesn't attend? (I'm hoping to work on my want list )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy to be a proxy for you/anyone else who needs one. However I am in Arlington, VA and my schedule is pretty hectic so I wouldn't have much flexibility on drop off/pick up location.

Even if a proxy doesn't work out submitting blank want lists will show "who wanted mine" and you may be able to set up a side trade outside of the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer

Herndon
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colls wrote:
Thanks, Esok. Is anyone else able to be a backup, in case Esok doesn't attend? (I'm hoping to work on my want list )

I'm in Virginia, but would be willing to be your backup proxy. My brother lives in Tyson's Corner, so you could drop any games off at his house if needed. I will be stopping at his house to pick him up Saturday morning on my way to the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, folks! I appreciate the backup proxy offers and will go ahead and enter wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone contacted me wanting to add a few games last-minute, so I'm extending the time to add games for a little while. I hope this does not inconvenience anyone! Apologizes if it does.

On another note, I am moving this week, so my time on BGG may be rather more limited than normal. Please don't panic if I don't answer questions right away. You should also post questions to the discussion list so everyone can answer.

Thanks for participating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colls wrote:
Thanks, folks! I appreciate the backup proxy offers and will go ahead and enter wants.

I'm going to be able to attend on Saturday, so I'll also be able to help you proxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
Is activityclub.org working? That's the site that hosts the want list service, yes? I tried several days ago and tonight after the game list was locked, and it doesn't matter whether I go to the math trade link, the Bgg login, or the root webpage--nothing ever loads. Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been working for me without problem. Try these links to get to the OLWLG:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/
http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/bgglogin.cgi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I don't know why but those links work whereas others I've tried haven't. Weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keithustus wrote:
Thanks! I don't know why but those links work whereas others I've tried haven't. Weird.

Were you putting the "bgg." at the beginning of the links you were trying to get to? I don't think JeffyJeff has the root domain configured, so you have to specify the bgg or olwlg subdomains.

*edited for gramatical typo*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was both trying that, second, after first clicking on multiple links on Bgg to the site, such as from the math trade wiki, which links to http://olwlg.activityclub.org/. Dunno why none worked before, but I can now use the site and am almost ready to finalize my list. Disappointingly, because the site never loaded the first several times I tried, those attempted urls don't appear in my browsing history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colls
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are folks who haven't submitted wants yet planning to? Hope so - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are currently three users that have not submitted at least once. I have sent messages to them so hopefully they get it done. I can extend it a few minutes if needed to give them more time. At least one of them contacted me a little while ago asking if he was done.

In order to submit wants, you need to first press the green link from step 4 of the OLWLG that says "Submit your lists here!" at the top of the page. Then you have to hit the small button that says "Submit My Wants". Only after this will you get confirmation that your wants have been submitted (check your geek mail).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like everyone got their wants in! I'll lock it up in a few minutes and run the trade. It doesn't take long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Results are up! We had an extraordinarily good trade this time. Thanks to all who participated!

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

I encourage you to label your games with your name and the name of the recipient on a sticky note, attached to each one individually (or in a bundle if the same person is receiving more than one item from you). You can drop it off at the vendor anytime before 2pm, then pick up your games by 4pm. If you want you can arrange to meet your trading partner and exchange games directly. Please let me know if you make alternate arrangements so I can verify that every got what they needed.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.