Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the existing tie breaker (overtime) rule is to keep the game simple for players to understand. The NFL used to use the same first score rule, but changed it because the team that won the coin toss won the game too often. I was wondering what people's experience is with the standard tie breaker rule in Techno Bowl. Do you find that the team with first possession wins significantly more than half the time? I am asking in the context of the game modes where field goals are allowed.

I'm sure you can easily adopt the current NFL overtime rules to break ties. For those who don't know, the NFL OT rule is as follows: Both teams gets a possession unless in the first possession a touchdown or safety is scored. Then after both possessions, the team with the most points is the winner. If it is still tied, the game continues until one team scores.

Has anyone felt that the Techno Bowl tie breaker needs to incorporate the NFL overtime rule? If you did try it, how did it work out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The current tie breaker rule is also about game length [real world time not game time]. If you don't mind the possibility of playing an extended game, the current tie breaker rules from the other league would work fine. You could even do a Kansas Playoff tiebreaker from the 20 yard line if you wanted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured game length was also one of the factors since a game that ends in regulation time has at most 16 plays. An NFL style OT rule for Techno Bowl could certainly extend the game quite a bit.

What I was most interested in regarding my post is how important players feel the coin flip is when it comes to the tie breaker in Techno Bowl with field goals. The NFL changed its OT rules fairly recently due to the huge advantage of the team with first possession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.