Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Essen first timers! Which hotel is better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monique Macasaet
msg tools
Hello, we just decided to go to Essen recently (last minute) and we were lucky enough to find 2 rooms to book but are unsure as to which one is better. We are deciding between

Akzent Hotel Boll - http://www.hotel-boell.de/
- Pros: 1 min. from U-bahn, cheaper
- Cons: very basic room, further away, no open gaming room in hotel

Hotel Petul City Garden - https://www.petul.de/en/hotels-rooms/city-garden/
- Pros: much nicer rooms, closer to spiel
- Cons: Unsure of transportation to spiel, unsure if it has open gaming room

Does anyone have experiences at either of these hotels? We would really like to enjoy evening gaming with other attendees. Any tips/advice would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monmon87 wrote:

- Cons: very basic room, very far away so no chances at evening gaming

I'm not getting this part. Gaming in the evenings is not at the Messe, it's in the hotels. So there might or there might not be gaming going on in that hotel or in a nearby hotel. Distance to the Messe plays virtually no role in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's closer to Spiel, you shouldn't worry too much. German public transport in bigger cities is normally top-notch!

I would go for Petul, based on my knowledge of the German public transport systems in Hamburg. I know it might not mean a lot, but just putting it out there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjel
Netherlands
Rotterdam Area
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been to Boll last year.

The hotel is indeed next to the metro stop.
However there was no convention room open for gaming in the evening. We ended up gaming in our own hotel rooms.

So if you would like to game with other people you haven't met before, Petul city might be your better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Janßen
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monmon87 wrote:

- Cons: Unsure of transportation to spiel

Hi,
I'm from Germany and I can assure you that transportation to that hotel is no problem. It will be very crowdy in the subway, but that's normal on these 4 days a year.

Your route would be U11 (subway) from "Messe West-Süd/Gruga" (terminal stop of the U11) to Essen main station, change to another platform (2 minutes walk) and then 107 (trolley) to "Herzogstraße". From there it will be a 5 minute walk.

It will take you around 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas D.
Germany
Essen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaWall wrote:
monmon87 wrote:

Hi,
I'm from Germany and I can assure you that transportation to that hotel is no problem. It will be very crowdy in the subway, but that's normal on these 4 days a year.

Your route would be U11 (subway) from "Messe West-Süd/Gruga" (terminal stop of the U11) to Essen main station, change to another platform (2 minutes walk) and then 107 (trolley) to "Herzogstraße". From there it will be a 5 minute walk.

It will take you around 30 minutes.

I agree, public transport here in Essen is very good. Subways are open till 23:00 - 23:30 and at later hours there are bus connections.

I guess there will be a lot of gaming in the hotels near city centre or the Unperfekthaus (my recommendation), so if you have a good connection to the main station you're safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Zimmermann
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mb
monmon87 wrote:
Hello, we just decided to go to Essen recently (last minute) and we were lucky enough to find 2 rooms to book but are unsure as to which one is better. We are deciding between

Akzent Hotel Boll - http://www.hotel-boell.de/
- Pros: 1 min. from U-bahn, cheaper

Does anyone have experiences at either of these hotels? We would really like to enjoy evening gaming with other attendees. Any tips/advice would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

Me and my girlfriend chose Akzent Hotel Böll two years ago. Wouldn´t go there again. U-Bahn to Messe is great, rooms are ok. There are free parking slots for cars. I havent seen anyone from Spiel there.

But here is the deal: I booked there through one of the big players (i think booking.com, but not sure). when we arrived, the room was FAR away from what I booked. It was half the size, two very small singlebeds instead of one big bed. When I talked to the receptionist and complained about the size of the room, he called me a liar and if I dont like the hotel, i am free to leave. Back in my room, I checked the offer I booked on booking.com again and, mysteriously, everything I complained about, has been erased from the offer. Bad luck for Böll: I made a screenshot before complaining. After that, I asked booking.com for help and sent them the screenshot. With their help, I got at least a small refund, but still, it was a very unpleasant experience.

I checked the offer again a few months after SPIEL. The offer was back to its original state. It seemed to me, they didnt learned of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thargard wrote:
I guess there will be a lot of gaming in the hotels near city centre or the Unperfekthaus (my recommendation), so if you have a good connection to the main station you're safe.

People are moving away from the Unperfekthaus, if last year is anything to go by. Two nights I went and only one were people gaming there. The food was at best middling, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monique Macasaet
msg tools
eddy_sterckx wrote:
monmon87 wrote:

I'm not getting this part. Gaming in the evenings is not at the Messe, it's in the hotels. So there might or there might not be gaming going on in that hotel or in a nearby hotel. Distance to the Messe plays virtually no role in it.

I apologize, I didn't write it properly. I meant to say people mentioned there is no open gaming area in that specific hotel. I believe people were saying the hotels closest to the Messe tend to have more open gaming opportunities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not stayed at either hotel, but I have stayed at another petul closer to the train station. As it is an apartement hotel they did not have any conference or common rooms that could be used for gaming either.

Even though the other hotel is further from the messe, the ubahn stop just outside makes it easier to get to the messe than petul. It is still relatively easy from petul with tram, then changing to ubahn at the main station.

Without knowing more about the hotels I would say that akzent is probably the most convenient location to get to the messe and other hotels with evening gaming, while petul seems to have the bigger and more comfortable rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The distance to Spiel is no problem for both.

The transportation connection for Petul Garden is nearly as good as for Boll.

There are two tram stations 1 minute away. At these tram stations there are lines 101 and 107 - both are going to Essen Main Station - and even better go to station "Flora" with is 5 minutes walking distance to SPIEL - to avoid the crowded U 11.

Petul Garden is closer to the inner city (10 minutes slow walking to Welcome Hotel or City Hotel, 15 minutes for inner city Motel One or Unperfekthaus) where a lot of evening hotel gaming is going on - as far as I know.

In addition Petul is situated right beside an ALDI for basic food and drink supply and a REWE with an inbound bakery for breakfast snacks and a McDonald - one never know when you need a burger fiesta

Ciao

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.