Subject: First completed game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Roig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After some time with the game in the table, and playing only some time every day, we managed (my wife and I) to finish our first Colonial Twilight game.

We both have some previous experience with Cuba Libre (only three games though), so it was not a huge challenge to start playing it, but still, there was some points where we needed to check and double check the rulebook.

I have to say that we like the COIN system a lot (we have only Cuba Libre and Colonial Twilight, but I'm waiting now for Pendragon, Gandhi and second edition of Falling Sky) (Falling Sky and Pendragon specially interested because of the Roman Theme )

As we didn't have any idea of what would be the best strategy for any of the two factions and we didn't want to take the decision of who should take FLN and who the Government, we decide to play it a little different: we played a co-op two players against the FLN Bot. It was basically a solo game, but sharing the decisions and learning the best strategy for government at the same time that learning how the FLN bot works and which strategy it chooses.

The experiece has been great. We lost by worse margin at the end of the third Propaganda(short scenario), but we were close to tie!!

We learnt a lot about how every Faction should play his chances and his options, we had bad luck with the Coup d'Etat (government roll 4 and FLN 6), we missinterpretated some rules, but we know now better!!

Now we are ready to play a 1vs1 game, but the thing is that my wife really enjoyed playing co-op against the FLN and she wants to play more often like that! Now I have to convince her to at least try a play one against the other... Wish me luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brooks
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun way to learn the game for the two of you. I'm looking forward to my first game, coming up this Thursday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy this past Saturday. You know it must be a good game if I'm on my third playthrough already (solo all three games).

Of course, the first game didn't last long as it was mostly a learning game - the FLN completely trashed the French government, but the government came back for a victory by the third propaganda phase in the second game.

In my current third game the French and FLN are battling more "neck and neck". I guess I'm learning how better to play both sides now.

It also seems to play faster to me - mostly due to it being two factions I guess. One thing that I've noticed that has emerged from playing the game (that wasn't really obvious to me from just reading the rules) is how initiative is modeled in the game. I thought that a faction sitting as first eligible being constantly able to control events would be a bit of a no-brainer, but I've found in my own games that if one faction wants to "sit" on first eligible and keep controlling the events then the other faction will just (virtually) shrug it's shoulders and just run "Execute Ops & Special Activity" instead each turn, almost daring the first eligible player to stop being so possessive of the position. A player sitting on first eligible who keeps doing that can really, really get steamrolled by the other faction that keeps running ops and special activities. The dynamic is really great to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does play a lot faster, even though, just as in the 4-faction games, only 2 factions do something in any given turn.
When it's always the same two factions, and each has only one enemy faction, then games do speed up considerably.

Your musings about keeping First Eligible for the sake of staying First are correct.
If you want to get anywhere, you must give it up sometimes, just make it worthwhile for you.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
The game does play a lot faster, even though, just as in the 4-faction games, only 2 factions do something in any given turn.
When it's always the same two factions, and each has only one enemy faction, then games do speed up considerably.

Your musings about keeping First Eligible for the sake of staying First are correct.
If you want to get anywhere, you must give it up sometimes, just make it worthwhile for you.

Brian

Yeah, so far I'm really starting to "get" the game I think and I am really enjoying it - especially the push and pull of building bases affecting commitment levels (and thus the scoring for the French government).

It's amazing to me that the COIN system can be stretched and modified so much and I'm starting to think of it as maybe the newest major type of wargame in addition to the big two (classic "hex and counter" games and CDGs) but that could just be me. Of course this is all arbitrary and there have already been a lot of mixing of genres in wargames over the years but the COIN system feels more unique than simply an evolution of CDG wargame design. Interested in seeing how long the legs are on this system...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty long, once you see how many designs are being seriously worked on.

Two that are coming soon and are very noteworthy, are Gandhi: The Decolonization of British India, 1917 – 1947, which incorporates non-violent resistance, and an upcoming one on the Finnish Civil war of 1918 that not only makes a workable mechanism for a 3-faction game, it deals with the post-shooting reconciliation phase of a civil conflict, something that is crucial in history but never gets looked at or even considered in "proper wargames".

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

Two that are coming soon and are very noteworthy, are Gandhi: The Decolonization of British India, 1917 – 1947, which incorporates non-violent resistance, and an upcoming one on the Finnish Civil war of 1918 that not only makes a workable mechanism for a 3-faction game, it deals with the post-shooting reconciliation phase of a civil conflict, something that is crucial in history but never gets looked at or even considered in "proper wargames".

Brian

Oh my God. Just please... I've heard enough.

I'm afraid I'm going to have an entire book shelf full of COIN games soon - I already have one almost half-full as it is. It would be even more full if Colonial Twilight wasn't the "normal" GMT box size and was the standard COIN box size instead.

EDIT: Thanks for the Colonial Twilight design Brian - I'm quite enjoying it and glad I picked it up after all! It may be taking over Cuba Libre as my "go to" solo COIN game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Heh, heh... devil

Very glad you are enjoying this game.
Thank Vesa Arponen (who is also designer of the Finnish Civil war COIN game) for the high quality of the game's bot!
I had nothing to do with it.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Noonespecial wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:

Brian

Oh my God. Just please... I've heard enough.

I'm afraid I'm going to have an entire book shelf full of COIN games soon - I already have one almost half-full as it is. It would be even more full if Colonial Twilight wasn't the "normal" GMT box size and was the standard COIN box size instead.

EDIT: Thanks for the Colonial Twilight design Brian - I'm quite enjoying it and glad I picked it up after all! It may be taking over Cuba Libre as my "go to" solo COIN game...

Yes, I've had to stop the auto-purchase for COIN, way behind on playing what I have right now, sadly. =( Since these games seem to be getting reprinted, not so much FOMO for me.

But wait! There's more...

Since Brian won't tout his COIN China title, I'll have to tout it for him: Brian has another COIN game in the works, on China (iirc) 1936-1949. That one is an auto-purchase for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh... yeah.

It's China 1937-41, back to four factions: Japanese, CCP, KMT-central, KMT-regionals.

Have to fill in the Event Deck for that one, which takes the largest amount of research... so many bizarre things happened during the war it may be hard to pick.

Mechanics and asymmetries are filled in, though.

Designed this one halfway through working on Colonial Twilight, finishing the latter has delayed the former, but now I can get to work on it (and several other projects that are almost done).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.