Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Best house rules for 2 players to increase difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking into the variants forums and found quite a lot of variants. I'm looking to find some very easy to adapt rules and not rules that you need to constantly get over to and that change the original rules a lot. An example of a rule which I will be using is the Nerf Transmute. Simple and effective:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1833203/nerf-transmute-bala...

I remember I've seen somewhere rules changes related to door cards and treasures scaled to the number of players but I can't seem to find it anymore. Any good references that have eventually also been tested for a 2 player game?

Side question: Would you advise to start a solo campaign using 1 hero or is it better with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with new rules to make it more difficult, and intuitive, using the idea of 4 players as a base line.

Chests: Number of chests that spawn is one less for each player under 4. So for a 2 player game, a door card which was 3 | 2 | 3 chests would spawn 1 | 0 | 1 chests.

Transmute: I've made it one action to do this, though you get a free reorganise. I've also made it slightly more difficult by saying it costs one extra item per level, above one. So 3 level 1 cards for a level 2, then 4 level 2 cards for a level 3 item etc.

I've tied level to hero level, more like original zombicide. The level tokens on the board act as spawn points still etc, and still acts as the minimum level for that tile. But, a hero can opt to take skills above his level and that automatically increases the games level. So if one character feels like taking a level 2 skill on the first tile because they've been in a lot of fights, they can, but treasure and spawn cards go up to for everyone.

Finally, and this will be controversial, and I've argue its very optional, is to ditch the concept of mobs. Individual monsters act as individuals. They move separate and counter separately. The boss still gets an item but only he can use it (and it can be anything). He can still only be attacked if there are no minions on his space. I've found this makes for far less counter attacks but more attacks at the end. As they're no longer a mob, an attack damage doesn't transfer to the next in the chain. 3 damage say, on one hp minion, kills just him.

Hope some of these ideas help.

[edit] for solo play I'd still recommend two characters. I've also play tested the above rules and had a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rault wrote:

Side question: Would you advise to start a solo campaign using 1 hero or is it better with 2?

Best would be to use 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've not tried that, but if you want more time pressure on your heroes, you can try this:

At the setup of the game, keep only the 3 first cards for each Guard card deck from Level 1 to Level 4 (keep Level 5 Guard deck full).
Thus, as per the normal rules, when you must spawn a Guard but the deck is empty, spawn a Guard of a higher Level.

For hardcore game, keep only 2 cards per Guard Level deck surprise.

Depending on quests, you may have to adapt the number of cards per Level goo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.