BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card Games like.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Sánchez
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
To start off, just clarify that I just joined this website and that this is my first thread, so bear in mind with me here in case I mess up, and also consider the fact that I live in Spain so some of the games that you may end up mentioning might not be available for purchase here.
With all that in mind, I am looking for a card game for two people (me and my girlfriend) of the types of Star Realms (of which i heard very good things) and Epic (I just found out about it yesterday). I know these two games are considerably different in that the first one is a deck builder and the other one is not. Also, we find interesting MtG and the fantasy context but we do NOT want to take part in the investment it takes to keep up with a tcg/ccg whatever you wanna call it, and that is where Epic comes into play, we heard it is similar to Magic in the mechanics but there is not much you can spend money on, which to some extent is good. And about Star Realms I know there are some expansions but they're like 3€ each so it is not a problem.So I was wondering whether these are the games we should go for (in which case I'd love to hear your opinion on each one of them) or whether we should consider other similar card games that apply to the conditions of: Not very expensive (less than 30€/$, and little if no expansion packs, in which case the price would be minimal as well.
Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like Core Worlds or Rune Age.

For the Crown (Second edition)
Summoner Wars

Not sure of availability in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!

As for card games that are small and don't require or have expansions and play well with two players, my wife and I enjoy these...

7 Wonders Duel
Battle Line
Condottiere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played the games you mention but I really enjoy Space Hulk: Death Angel which is a pure card game. Challenging, fast and plays great with two players. There are a few expansions but it plays great without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Star Realms and enjoy Magic's fantasy setting, check out Hero Realms.

Of course, there's always the grand daddy of all deck builders, Dominion (Second Edition). It was the first and still holds up, plus there's oodles of expansion content available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Star Realms has a free app (iOS, Android, Steam) so you can try out the game against basic AI. If you want more features or the expansions you need to pay but if you just want to try out the game then it's great. I enjoy Star Realms and have two of the mini expansions (which I haven't played much yet) and the alternative base set Star Realms: Colony Wars. Star Realms is simpler than MtG and whilst I like Star Realms it's not a game I'll regularly play multiple times a week.

Hero Realms is by the makers of Star Realms & Epic. I've not played it (or Epic) but it looks like Star Realms with Epic's theme (obviously there are some differences in game play to Star Realms). That might be worth looking at if you prefer the fantasy theme.

All these games have fairly frequently released content - you don't need to buy it but if you're a completist then these might not be for you.

Have you played MtG? I've not played it much and that was years ago. Which aspects of MtG appeal to you? Theme, combat, constructing decks before the game, combo building? Are there any of these which don't appeal? Are you looking for something simpler than MtG or with similar complexity?

BTW it is possible to play MtG without spending lots - you can do things like drafting with cheap common cards or buying duel decks. I don't know much about that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons and Mage Wars Academy. Seasons has two expansions and I doubt there will be more and if so, I can't see many being added. MCA is basically on a once a year release for new content. Ashes is great, but has consistent content coming out so that's why I don't list it with the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sánchez
Spain
flag msg tools
And what about Star Wars Destiny? I know it goes against the "not having to spend much money on blind packs" thing, but I am a huge Star Wars fan and heard good things about it. I could probably overlook the blind pack issue here. However, I'd play with my gf, and she likes SW too, but having to spend twice the money to have 2 decks one for each, seems a little too much, doesn't it?
BTW thanks for the replies, really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Seasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like SciFi and want a card game with powers & combos then Race for the Galaxy is good. It's not a combat game like MtG and Star Realms, it's more "try to avoid helping your opponent(s) and try to predict what they'll do and leach off their actions". It does take a few games to learn. The Spanish edition has some interesting design issues (brown windfall halo on a brown background on "Mundo Destrudio" looks like it would be really difficult to see, but I haven't seen the cards in person).

There's an old geeklist which might be of interest too:

Non-collectible card games with CCG-type qualities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.