Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Mini expansions with Big Box worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rik Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi All,

I'm loving playing the base game of Carc so far, I've only tried 2 players but hoping to get more people into it at some point.

I've read how everyone says expansion 1&2 are definitely worth getting, so I'm considering these at some point. I've stumbled across the big box version, 2014 edition, and I've worked out for roughtly the same price as buying expansions 1&2 - I could sell my base version of the game and buy the big box. (give or take a few £) so my question is - is it worth the faff? Or should I just stick with the base version until we get bored, then add expansion 1 and later 2, or even wait until the new big box is out and see if people start selling off their expansions and pick one up 2nd hand cheaper?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Box 6 contains the new art as follows;

Base Game
Inns & Cathedrals
Traders & Builders
The River
The Abbot
The Flying Machines
The Messengers
The Ferries
The Gold Mines
Mage & Witch
The Robbers
Corn Circles II

It is available for €39.99 (German rules, but language independent of course) here: https://www.spiele-offensive.de/Spiel/Carcassonne-Big-Box-Gr.... Shipping is free inside Germany, and for a large order I was charged just €14.

If you can buy several items the shipping cost becomes very reasonable. They also have on offer:

Abbey & Mayor
Princess and Dragon
Tower
Under the Big Top

with a 20% discount when I bought them just a few days ago.

It's nearly a no-brainer for the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riknos wrote:
or even wait until the new big box is out and see if people start selling off their expansions and pick one up 2nd hand cheaper?
The Carcassonne market and availability is quite difficult to forecast for the 'classic art' versions. If you like the game (I do) then Inns & Cathedrals is a 'must have'; other people have other 'must haves'. I also recommend the GQ mini expansion (Classic art only).

If you are looking to expand your collection and don't have a lot invested in the classic art, I'd suggest going with the new art version exclusively. In the end you will only save a few pounds here and there (but maybe spend more on shipping various items) and go to a bit of effort in tracking them down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Riknos wrote:
or even wait until the new big box is out and see if people start selling off their expansions and pick one up 2nd hand cheaper?
The Carcassonne market and availability is quite difficult to forecast for the 'classic art' versions. If you like the game (I do) then Inns & Cathedrals is a 'must have'; other people have other 'must haves'. I also recommend the GQ mini expansion (Classic art only).

If you are looking to expand your collection and don't have a lot invested in the classic art, I'd suggest going with the new art version exclusively. In the end you will only save a few pounds here and there (but maybe spend more on shipping various items) and go to a bit of effort in tracking them down.

Agree that Inns & Cathedrals is essential and once you added it to the base game there is no point taking it out again. My must have expansion though is traders and builders. Really adds something new to the game! To me the best Carcassonne expansion ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Box this year is definitely worth it, even at the full MSRP.

The mini-expansions add a little extra-spice to the basegames to added variability and tactics.

Mixing them all in together can cause a bit of a rules nightmare, so I'd not advise adding more than 2-at-a-time, along with Inns & Cathedrals and Traders and Builders until you're familiar with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love Carcassonne. But we're still playing with the base set and river. We still love the game. We do own the Abbot, Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders but have never used them. Maybe we will but so far we've been having a great time with just the Core and River.

That is the only reason I'm only so-so on getting the Big Box. I'd love to have it, but not a must buy for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering you own the 2 major expansions included the Big Box, you're only buying it for the mini-expansions. I suspect these will be released separately in 2018, though that is speculation. So you can always pick them up at a later date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:
Considering you own the 2 major expansions included the Big Box, you're only buying it for the mini-expansions. I suspect these will be released separately in 2018, though that is speculation. So you can always pick them up at a later date.

I'm not sure if you were answering the OP or me. But for me if I do buy the big box it would be for play at home. While the Core and first two expansion will continue to be my portable grab a game and go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Ken, should have quoted you! Yes, I was responding to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:
Sorry Ken, should have quoted you! Yes, I was responding to you

No worries. I have several games ready to 'Grab and Go'. But some are for home. For example we have two copies of Ticket to Ride. The standard game is in the 'Grab and Go' set and the 10th Anniversary is for home play. If we get the latest Carcassonne Big Box it will most likely be for home play.

We have yet to add other expansions as my wife is fond of the core game. But I'm sure in time we'll add more to it. For me I'm good either way. I've played plenty of games where expansions ruined the game, and plenty others where they were needed to help the core. Plus others in between I suppose. So I've never been afraid of not buying expansions if I like the game, with one exception of course. But that is another topic and another conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.