Dead Men Tell No Tales» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant for Capt Fromm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Ulaidh
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find when i play Fromm doesn't tend to add much to the game, he too often just gets avoided, comes out late with little impact
So i am trying out some variant rules
1. When he is on board all crew/guards get +1 battle Strength and crew move two tiles if they get a move
2. If you use the strength 4 side he has pistols and will initiate a combat as soon as any pirate is in adjacent room with a connecting door. Fromm can not be defeated/killed when he initiates these pistol combats, but can be killed in melee as normal.

Has not seemed to have bugger all effect yet, only tried twice so far. Considering if it makes it to hard, due to fear each pirate gets an extra action when Fromm is onboard

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ugbash wrote:
I find when i play Fromm doesn't tend to add much to the game, he too often just gets avoided, comes out late with little impact
So i am trying out some variant rules
1. When he is on board all crew/guards get +1 battle Strength and crew move two tiles if they get a move
2. If you use the strength 4 side he has pistols and will initiate a combat as soon as any pirate is in adjacent room with a connecting door. Fromm can not be defeated/killed when he initiates these pistol combats, but can be killed in melee as normal.

Has not seemed to have bugger all effect yet, only tried twice so far. Considering if it makes it to hard, due to fear each pirate gets an extra action when Fromm is onboard

Any thoughts?

I liked it. Game is very hard already (2 victorys in 9 plays for my group), but you managed to get it harder and more interesting! I really dont like captain fromm very much for the same reasons you pointed out. I'll try this variant next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cowlin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't just avoid captain fromm. If he is on the ship you can't win the game.

you have to kill him and collect all the treasure you need for your difficulty level. Even if you have successfully got all 6 treasures if captain fromm is still alive somewhere on the ship then you have to kill him and make it back to the dingy in order to win the game.

plus captain fromm is always placed back into the bag. so you could potentially kill him then travel all the way back to the dingy with your last piece of treasure just for you to pull him out the bag again and travel all the way back to kill him again.

also parts of the ship can blow up isolating captain fromm away from the players (this happened to us). We had to strategically place the rest of our tiles to make sure we could reach him to kill him in order to win the game.

when he is drawn from the bag you must draw a second chit from the bag for the same tile. this can create some deadly combos. We had the level 8 captain fromm and the level 8 skeleton guard on the same tile guarding the last piece of treasure.

I personally believe captain fromm adds quite alot to the game already. it is a very hard game as well so I'm not sure making it harder is a good idea lol but best of luck trying it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.