Subject: Monkey Selfie Case Settled rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/12/asia/monkey-selfie-settlement/...

As if there wasn't more in life to worry about, but apparently, this was a ground breaking case in copyright protection. But we can all rest in ease, case settled, and all seem to benefit. A good meme background, if ever I saw one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It doesn't sound like the copyright issue was settled though since a settlement was reached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

It doesn't sound like the copyright issue was settled though since a settlement was reached.
Exactly. A settlement between two parties doesn't settle the ownership issue in the slightest as far as the rest of us are concerned. Am I free to use the monkey selfie on my for-profit blog?

I happen to agree with Wikipedia and don't think the monkey should be able to own the copyright. PETA is out of their gourd insisting that the monkey own anything; much less a copyright on a photo. However, perhaps Slater should own it since it was his camera.

What if I setup a mechanism that allows an animal to snap a photo when they step on a pressure plate and then let some "wild" dogs and cats play near that plate? Are those photos mine? My mechanism and my camera? Or do they belong to the animals? And which animal if multiple animals ended up in frame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently there is a tree that owns the land the tree is on somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I'm trying to figure out how PETA gets to own 25% of a picture that a monkey took, diverting the funds to its cause instead of to the monkey's personal interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Under the agreement, Slater will donate 25% of any future revenue derived from using or selling the monkey selfie to charities that protect the crested macaques' habitat in Indonesia

This doesn't make sense. If the monkey actually had "rights" to this photo, and any royalties attached to it, the monkey would simply have been handed cash and allowed to spend it as it chose (provided the animal could figure out how to do such a thing).

As this settlement stands, it seems PETA is arguing that animals themselves don't have copyright rights, but the charity organizations that protect them do. A more cynical take-away from this case would be that animal rights have not been advanced at all, but profit opportunities for animal rights charities have increased immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Quote:
Under the agreement, Slater will donate 25% of any future revenue derived from using or selling the monkey selfie to charities that protect the crested macaques' habitat in Indonesia

This doesn't make sense. If the monkey actually had "rights" to this photo, and any royalties attached to it, the monkey would simply have been handed cash and allowed to spend it as it chose (provided the animal could figure out how to do such a thing).

This sounds like the right solution to me. Just give the cash directly to the monkey and let it figure out what to do with it. I wonder if the monkey would prefer to receive its money in the form of a check, high value bills, low value bills, or coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait till the first AI takes a photo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Quote:

This sounds like the right solution to me. Just give the cash directly to the monkey and let it figure out what to do with it. I wonder if the monkey would prefer to receive its money in the form of a check, high value bills, low value bills, or coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

The designer of the AI gets the money. If that monkey had an owner they would probably get the rights to the photo. Those are pretty clear cut things - it's when we have an entity with no owner that there's a problem, but apparently the monkey is 25% owned by some organization now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

The designer of the AI gets the money. If that monkey had an owner they would probably get the rights to the photo. Those are pretty clear cut things - it's when we have an entity with no owner that there's a problem, but apparently the monkey is 25% owned by some organization now.

Wrong, the owner, not the designer, of the AI would own the rights, under current law. It's currently no different than taking a picture with a drone that you own.

But will owning AI be considered legalized slavery assuming it's self-aware? That's the real question. And one for another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Also I'm trying to figure out how PETA gets to own 25% of a picture that a monkey took, diverting the funds to its cause instead of to the monkey's personal interest.

I expect PETA knew they would lose the case, so settled to get money for a pet (see what I did there?) cause.

So really, the can is just kicked down the road until the next primate takes a selfie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Jythier wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Wrong, the owner, not the designer, of the AI would own the rights, under current law. It's currently no different than taking a picture with a drone that you own.

But will owning AI be considered legalized slavery assuming it's self-aware? That's the real question. And one for another thread.

Ah, that's probably right. The designer of the AI would be the first owner, although an individual's work often falls under a corporation and so the corp would get the ownership. But yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Shampoo4you wrote:
So really, the can is just kicked down the road until the next primate takes a selfie.
People are primates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
sfox wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Quote:

No, sorry, monkey. PETA has invested in a resource based economy. You'll have to settle for bit-bananas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Quote:

Not necessarily. Human beings who are judged incompetent to manage their affairs are commonly appointed guardians. It's not really a stretch to say both that the monkey both has a copyright interest but is not competent to just be given money and it should be placed in a trust or the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
People are primates.

Primates are people (so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
damiangerous wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
People are primates.
Primates are people (so far).
So far.
But could there be a non-human primate primate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Apparently there is a tree that owns the land the tree is on somewhere.

Athens, GA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I expect PETA knew they would lose the case, so settled to get money for a pet (see what I did there?) cause.

Or until someone uses this particula picture in a for-profit business. The settlement was just between PETA and the photographer versus Wikipedia. I don't remember getting any money at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.