Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Fishel-Brown
United States
Canton
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on my first play on the recommended beginner curse, and I've run into an issue I can't resolve. If I get an item, such as fish or crab, and I have 4 items already in play, do I HAVE to play or discard the food? I have the option of combining the food with an existing item, right (and gaining pips if the keywords match the top item)? Can I keep items like that in my hand until I have an open item slot? Or is it a use or lose it situation at the time I gain those items? Many thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can attach the item to any of the 4 that you already have (assuming they are not already maxed out in terms of the # of cards in each.)

If a keyword on the new item matches one of the keywords on the top-most card of the item stack, you increase the durability (pips). If not, then the durability stays the same.

With a fish or crabmeat per your example, you will then reduce the durability by one to "eat" that card and then discard that specific card. So, if there was a keyword match, then the durability will be what it was before you added the new items. If there was no keyword match, then the durability of the item stack will be less than what it was.

You may not keep items that you find like this in your hand. I assume if your inventory were completely maxed out, then you would have to choose between tossing the new item or tossing an entire item stack to keep the new item --- but I am not sure of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
I assume if your inventory were completely maxed out, then you would have to choose between tossing the new item or tossing an entire item stack to keep the new item --- but I am not sure of that.

You can at any point toss out an entire stack to make room. In fact, if your inventory is fully maxed with no place to store food, you should toss out something or use your items so you have space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Fishel-Brown
United States
Canton
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks a ton guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
You can at any point toss out an entire stack to make room. In fact, if your inventory is fully maxed with no place to store food, you should toss out something or use your items so you have space.

At the point that you acquire the food, it is too late to "use an item". You would have to complete the food gathering action before you could start a new one. Usually, however, the action that leads to food acquisition is predictable (except for that very first time as you are learning how things work), so if you plan ahead you might look for opportunities to free up an item slot BEFORE you take the action that gets you the food.

We have found in general it is a good idea when your hand and/or inventory is full to look for actions that will free up space ahead of taking actions that acquire new cards or items (to avoid discarding something that could have been used effectively).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
schtoom wrote:
I am working on my first play on the recommended beginner curse, and I've run into an issue I can't resolve. If I get an item, such as fish or crab, and I have 4 items already in play, do I HAVE to play or discard the food? I have the option of combining the food with an existing item, right (and gaining pips if the keywords match the top item)? Can I keep items like that in my hand until I have an open item slot? Or is it a use or lose it situation at the time I gain those items? Many thanks in advance!

It sounds like you think you can use the food immediately without storing it in your inventory. This isn't true. It's "put it in your inventory or lose it." Once its in your inventory, you can use an action to eat it.

What Randal said is correct as well -- however you can simply throw away an item to make room. Note that this means the entire item. You cannot discard single cards from a combined item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

At the point that you acquire the food, it is too late to "use an item". You would have to complete the food gathering action before you could start a new one. Usually, however, the action that leads to food acquisition is predictable (except for that very first time as you are learning how things work), so if you plan ahead you might look for opportunities to free up an item slot BEFORE you take the action that gets you the food.

We have found in general it is a good idea when your hand and/or inventory is full to look for actions that will free up space ahead of taking actions that acquire new cards or items (to avoid discarding something that could have been used effectively).

I thought it was implicit I was suggesting that if at any point (not just during a hunt) the inventory is full, make room for food. In my experience it's better to save an empty stack for food than having to toss something out after hunting. Plus there are a few opportunities to get food not through hunting (in particular if you're on certain quests) so being maxed out at any point doesn't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maciej w
Poland
Bydgoszcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
With a fish or crabmeat per your example, you will then reduce the durability by one to "eat" that card and then discard that specific card. So, if there was a keyword match, then the durability will be what it was before you added the new items. If there was no keyword match, then the durability of the item stack will be less than what it was.

I have the same issue so I want to be 100% sure. If I combine food item with my other item and the keyword matches... do I get a chance to use it as many times as the new (increased) durability is at? It doesnt seem very thematic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elayeth wrote:
I have the same issue so I want to be 100% sure. If I combine food item with my other item and the keyword matches... do I get a chance to use it as many times as the new (increased) durability is at? It doesnt seem very thematic...

No, because the card instructs you to Return it after use. So you decrease the item's die by one, eat it and resolve the effect, and then take the food card off of the stack it's attached to and put it back in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.