J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Words fail me.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/media/fox-and-friends-911-me...

To be fair, I'm thrilled we have a conservative alternative to more traditional TV news. After all, CBS et al tried to indoctrinate people with the liberal agenda, right? But Fox News just tries to make people far more stupid than they were an hour earlier. Way to go Fox, you just keep on being you...

To the point:

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE 1,000+ STATUES OF THE STRUGGLE AFRICANS WENT THROUGH FROM THEIR ARRIVAL IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE TO RIGHT FUCKING NOW? IF WE'RE "PRESERVING HISTORY," WHY IS IT ONLY WHITE HISTORY WHEN IT COMES TO THE CIVIL WAR? I CANNOT BELIEVE I LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT GLORIFIES TRAITOROUS SCUM!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be controversial here, but I am not opposed to Confederate statues remaining, so long as they are infused in some way (physically) with a message that does not condone what the South stood for, and as long as that object portrays the Civil War as a sad time in our history. As an analogy, erasing all history of Hitler from the German record does not allow us to remember the evil that altered human history so significantly. And remembrance can be part of prevention, in the future.

The real problem is, sadly, too many Southerners look upon these statues as a monument to a point in history that they can be proud of. And equally unfortunate is the fact that this proud attitude is usually part of a larger package that is based in racism, and inequailty. And sadly, I think that those that look upon these statues with pride, will not likely change their attitude or tone, it stems from 2 centuries of living in this racism and inequality. Their attitude alone will continue to make these statues a flashpoint of controversy, and it is for this reason that I think it is advisable to take them down, leaving in place a simple statement, that the war was tragic, and the cause for which it was fought by Southerners, was misguided.

That said, the Fox news gent is an idiot, for even attempting to equate the heroism of those on the air flight, to those that fought for the Southern cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Words fail me.

To be fair, I'm thrilled we have a conservative alternative to more traditional TV news. After all, CBS et al tried to indoctrinate people with the liberal agenda, right? But Fox News just tries to make people far more stupid than they were an hour earlier. Way to go Fox, you just keep on being you...

To the point:

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE 1,000+ STATUES OF THE STRUGGLE AFRICANS WENT THROUGH FROM THEIR ARRIVAL IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE TO RIGHT FUCKING NOW? IF WE'RE "PRESERVING HISTORY," WHY IS IT ONLY WHITE HISTORY WHEN IT COMES TO THE CIVIL WAR? I CANNOT BELIEVE I LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT GLORIFIES TRAITOROUS SCUM!!!

Just checked online. Not even a hint of apology or back tracking that I could find. Fox is veering from merely sucking up to The Donald on a regular basis to trying to be Breitbart Lite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
As somebody else noted, the better analogy to the Confederate generals statues would be if there were a statue of Osama Bin Laden at the site of the former WTC in Manhattan, commemorating his role in the attacks of 9/11/2001.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should put up a statue of Joe McCarthy. Joel Rosenberg? Maybe Edward Snowden. Mark Foley?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
They need a new term. Slippery slope just doesn't cut it with Fox and Friends. Lubed slide to fantasyland?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Benedict Arnold has been denied a monument for too long. Too long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Sue_G wrote:
Maybe we should put up a statue of Joe McCarthy. Joel Rosenberg? Maybe Edward Snowden. Mark Foley?
My vote is for a cat statue. Like the one Istanbul put up for Tombili after he died:

A statue so beloved that someone stole it, then everyone wigged out, so it was returned a day later. Don't mess with internationally renowned cat statuary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
My vote is for a cat statue. Like the one Istanbul put up for Tombili after he died:

A statue so beloved that someone stole it, then everyone wigged out, so it was returned a day later. Don't mess with internationally renowned cat statuary!

Like cats need to get even more egotistical. (I'm a dog person. On the other hand, if you put up a dog statue, I can guess what dogs would use it for.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Words fail me.

To the point:

It's the age of conflation. Everything is equivalent and critical thinking is for pansies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Benedict Arnold has been denied a monument for too long. Too long!

Though not mentioned by name, he actually does have a monument

Quote:
The monument commemorates Arnold's contribution to the Continental Army's victory over the British in the Battle of Saratoga. Arnold was wounded in the foot during the Battle of Quebec, and suffered further injury in the Battle of Ridgefield when his horse was shot out from under him. His last battle injury was at Saratoga, and it occurred near where this monument is located at Tour Stop #7 – Breymann Redoubt. The leg wound effectively ended his career as a fighting soldier.

The memorial was donated by John Watts de Peyster, a former Major General for the New York State Militia during the American Civil War who wrote several military histories about the Battle of Saratoga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Monument
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's right-wing virtue signaling in defense of treason, part and parcel of the mindset that winds up with "and what's so wrong with the Russians hacking our election, anyway?"

Or, what the rest of us call "Tuesday" while forced to endure their well-funded antics 24/7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

Like cats need to get even more egotistical. (I'm a dog person. On the other hand, if you put up a dog statue, I can guess what dogs would use it for.)

I think that would be a excellent reminder to people to live by the dog credo: if you can't eat it, sleep on it or hump it -- piss on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Sue_G wrote:
They need a new term. Slippery slope just doesn't cut it with Fox and Friends. Lubed slide to fantasyland?

I think I'm in love....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools

I hate to point this out, but the statue of the cat has been altered to make the cat appear slimmer and more mono-chromatic. Is nothing safe from touch-ups??????

(Christ that's funny. I've got a big cat -- Wilbur's a 20-pounder -- and that pose by the cat is ridiculous)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
It's right-wing virtue signaling in defense of treason, part and parcel of the mindset that winds up with "and what's so wrong with the Russians hacking our election, anyway?"

Or, what the rest of us call "Tuesday" while forced to endure their well-funded antics 24/7.
Not that they would be right in either case, but aren't all the Confederate statues built from 1920-1970 really in celebration of Jim Crow, segregation, and not granting Civil Rights to African Americans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Not that they would be right in either case, but aren't all the Confederate statues built from 1920-1970 really in celebration of Jim Crow, segregation, and not granting Civil Rights to African Americans?

Also yes. </Krieger>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
This all points out to a new Republican plan to win elections: Say enough nonsensical shit that, in the long run, liberals just die younger due to liver failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
DiamondSylph wrote:

Aye, I can't prove it but I know it's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:

The Ted Cruz thread is over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More seriously, to the OP: just one of many signals that not only is racism alive and well in these United States, but it's been given a speaking gig, a book deal, and a fellowship at a think tank.

Signals? No, I think I meant screaming, shrieking klaxons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

I hate you. How can I unsee that? You monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
bbenston wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

Huh? What?

Oh wait, I know. Does this help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
bbenston wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

Huh? What?

Oh wait, I know. Does this help?

You're the worst. The absolute worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.