Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Signature moves / bams and diamonds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Olney
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm the back cover it says signature moves count as an action. And we have three actions.

Inside it says they are free actions (like transmute) and you just spend xp.

But it seems some signature moves only happen if something like an attack is underway. Is that correct? I'm assuming it wouldn't give you an extra attack?

Next question:

If I roll a bam or a diamond and have a skill and a weapon that gets a benefit from them will it trigger both or can I only effectively spend it once and have to choose the skill or the weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RippedFromTheCrypt wrote:
If I roll a bam or a diamond and have a skill and a weapon that gets a benefit from them .. I only effectively spend it once and have to choose the skill or the weapon?

This. If you want to use both, you need to roll two bams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Signature Moves are actions, others aren't. Just use them when appropriate for their description.

As Bone said above, you spend the Bams and Diamonds on your Enchantments. You can only spend each Bam or Diamond once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RippedFromTheCrypt wrote:
But it seems some signature moves only happen if something like an attack is underway. Is that correct? I'm assuming it wouldn't give you an extra attack?

That's how I've been playing it. So for example, the Shadow Barbarian can spend 1 XP (Crush) to attack and instantly kill a minion. I roll the minion kill as part of my attack, but don't give myself a 4th attack.

The Bloodmoon Nightrunner has Sprint, which specifies that it's a free movement action, so in that case, you can have 4 actions.

I looked at Dr. Bandage's FAQ post, it there appears to be some ambiguity on whether or not the Shadow Barbarian should get a 4th attack, but assuming you are attacking the same group there's no material difference between lumping it in with an existing attack, or picking off the minion separately.

I plan on continuing to play it the way I have been, it's useful and the last thing my heroes need is a buff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Olney
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Some Signature Moves are actions, others aren't. Just use them when appropriate for their description.

As Bone said above, you spend the Bams and Diamonds on your Enchantments. You can only spend each Bam or Diamond once.

But what about if they are used in your skill tree as well? The tree is permanently active. So are you saying each bam or diamond is single use regardless of whether it's for skills or enchantments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, each bam or diamond is single use.

It's not spelled out particularly well on page 34 under resolving enchantments, but if you look at Example 2 on the next page, The Dwarf Warriors roll 2 bams. They have to use both bams on their natural enchantment. Even though their sword has a bam enchantment, they are not able to apply one of the bams they applied to their enchantment.

This indicates to me that the designers intended each bam or diamond to be single use.

*Edited for rulebook reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Olney
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I'm happy with your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EastCoast wrote:
I looked at Dr. Bandage's FAQ post, it there appears to be some ambiguity on whether or not the Shadow Barbarian should get a 4th attack, but assuming you are attacking the same group there's no material difference between lumping it in with an existing attack, or picking off the minion separately.

The ambiguity is when you could apply Crush, not whether the Barbarian has a 4th attack. Crush has the Attack: keyword, so it must be performed during an attack action. It is not a 4th separate attack.

Clipper wrote:

Clipper likes to future-proof his words, but its worth mentioning that none of the 11 available classes' signatures cost an action point. It's possible this may change if future classes are released, but you needn't worry about it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.