Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dav Bud
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My Wife and I a play games with/against each other a few times a week some titles we enjoy are 7 Wonders Duel, Galaxy Trucker, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Mechs vs. Minions, and Star Realms. What we are lacking is a really heavy intense long game. We want a game that we can set-up in the morning play for an hour then come back to it throughout the day. Here is some of the criteria we are looking for.
• Great 2 player game
• 3+ hours
• Thought Provoking Gameplay
• Interesting Theme

One game we are strongly considering is Forge War. Any other ideas or game recomendations is greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost exclusively 2p, and my favorite heavier games are:
Alchemists
Trickerion: Legends of Illusion with Trickerion: Dahlgaard's Gifts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization - As long as you don't have kids or cats, I can't think of a better game to leave set up on the table and play as you go. Towards the end of the game, the civil phase of your turns can easily take 5+ minutes--longer if you're really trying to maximize efficiency. So it's the ideal game for turn-based, deep, long plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan G
Netherlands
Emmeloord
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Rebellion

This is my favorite 2 player game that takes that long and is filled with theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend War of the Ring (Second Edition). It's my favorite game. I really wish I got it to the table more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
TTA +100

Also check out Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Barzaghi
Italy
Nova Milanese
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These after a few games will probably get shorter than 3 hours, depending on how fast you play, but I haven't played longer games which are still good at 2 players.
War of the Ring (Second Edition)
Twilight Struggle
Mage Knight Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
PapaDragon wrote:
My Wife and I a play games with/against each other a few times a week some titles we enjoy are 7 Wonders Duel, Galaxy Trucker, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Mechs vs. Minions, and Star Realms. What we are lacking is a really heavy intense long game. We want a game that we can set-up in the morning play for an hour then come back to it throughout the day. Here is some of the criteria we are looking for.
• Great 2 player game
• 3+ hours
• Thought Provoking Gameplay
• Interesting Theme

One game we are strongly considering is Forge War. Any other ideas or game recomendations is greatly appreciated!

I play games almost exclusively with my wife and there aren't a lot of 3 hour games just because there's only two people. I think even the epic variant of Forge Wars might be stretching to get there but it's a good choice as long as you don't mind 3 hours of that's my fish.

Stronghold (2nd edition) comes to mind. It's closer to 2 hours but it's a long, tense battle with very little luck and bluffing. Very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You evidently like the SF theme. My recommendation would be Forbidden Stars. A two-player game is good for 2 to 4 hours of fun there, and it has a sprawling, impressive setup. The order system makes it strategy-heavy, while the card-and-dice-based combat creates interludes of a lighter game.

Here are my daughter's Eldar beating my Ultramarines:

FS is officially out of print with no prospect of a reprint, but copies are still available on amazon for a steep discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andi sea
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it myself, but I've heard good things about The Colonists - and it would fit your criteria.

I play mostly 2 player as well, and my current favorite heavy games with decent themes (although none of them are quite as long as your ask) are: Food Chain Magnate,Trickerion: Legends of Illusion, Anachrony,
Nations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse. Your first play-through might last three hours, but after that 2 player games will generally finish under 2 hours. However, you could extend the length of the game (just don't finish on turn 9), and it could easily last much longer.

Maybe a proper tabletop wargame would be up your ally? Perhaps BattleTech (which pretends it's a board game)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilderness War - French and Indian War, campaign game takes 6 to 8 hours. There are also shorter ones starting at 2 hours.

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony - Athens and Sparta in a economic and military war. Time on the box says 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rigo
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some that come in mind:

Twilight Struggle

Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars

Runebound (Third Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate is excellent, but only your first game or three will be quite as long as you're looking for. The Great Zimbabwe is also good, if not quite so long. Roads and Boats could be a perfect fit with the right map.

But if you aren't particular about appearance, the best possible fit for your criteria is Winsome's Union Vs Central, a 2-player logistical card game about building the Transcontinental Railroad. If memory serves, the "short" game is 4 hours, the "medium" game is 6-8, and the "long" game is 12-16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold (2nd edition)

Maybe not quite 3 hours, but this one is great.

Otherwise, through the ages or some monster war game could do it. Maybe try tackling ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want 3+ hours, I second Mage Knight and TTA. A lot of the other wonderful games on this list are generally shorter...still some of my all-time faves though. Only game I've played that I might not recommend for 2 is Forbidden Stars, which I love but find a bit too gamey with the order mechanisms for 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan?

FYI, I'd been pretty keen onForge War for both solo and especially after my SO mentioned we lacked fantasy games. However, a common complaint according to BGG reviews is that the "epic" game, said to be 3h, becomes repetitive. So most players seem to prefer Forge Wars as a single game, using the "quick start" variant, and a playtime well under 3h (closer to 1).

Edit: also The Gallerist ?

And Fields of Arle could be a few hours, though it's a great solo game if it's your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames.

Washington's War, Hands in the Sea, Block Games, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President was just reprinted by GMT. I'm so glad I was able to pick this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Le Havre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A huge +1 for Mage Knight Board Game! My all time favorite deep, immersive, and epic 2p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Freedom in the Galaxy
Unhappy King Charles!
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keelan James
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everyone's already said as much, but...

Through the Ages will work for when you want a deeper 7 Wonders Duel. If you ever played a Civilization game on PC, you'll be right at home here.

The Colonists is great at two. In fact, I think it goes way too long at higher player counts. My wife and I sometimes spend an entire weekend playing this one in the way you describe wanting to play an epic game (set up, play a couple rounds, come back later, etc.). Yes, it CAN go that long (though 4-6 hours is usually more common for us).

Stronghold/War of the Ring/ Rebellion: Definitely +1 on these. They are probably my three favorite two-player games.

For the co-op player in you, I'd recommend Arkham Horror. Eldritch Horror is a better design overall, but it doesn't match the epicness of the original. Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed. is also a nice long game, and its very, very good. It has a handy save function, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.