Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
The preset map is meant to be unbalanced. Twilight Imperium is at its best when asymmetrical situations occur. Scarcity breeds conflict, tense negotiations, desperate gambits, and heartless backstabs. That is what Twilight Imperium is all about. It is not about giving everyone an equal start and seeing who can manage RNG to score points fastest.

I am an avid advocate of using the normal galaxy setup rules, but if time or new players are a concern, drafting the starting locations in an order reverse of choosing factions is the simplest solution. If that is not ideal, use a reverse bidding system: bidding starts at 0, and you are bidding how many trade goods everyone else will get. Highest bid system winner starts with 0, next up starts with their bid subtracted from the highest bid, repeat until the perceived worst system owner gets the full amount of the high bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fahbs2000 wrote:
then players pick their starting location in the reverse order (last race picker gets to choose starting location first, and vice versa). That way the Winnu would get the prime pick while Jol-Nar would at least get handicapped with position B.

Who says Winnu is the worst Faction and Jol-Nar is the best Faction? If I'm Sardakk N'orr, as far as I'm concerned the Jol-Nar are just my seafood appetizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
fahbs2000 wrote:
then players pick their starting location in the reverse order (last race picker gets to choose starting location first, and vice versa). That way the Winnu would get the prime pick while Jol-Nar would at least get handicapped with position B.

Who says Winnu is the worst Faction and Jol-Nar is the best Faction? If I'm Sardakk N'orr, as far as I'm concerned the Jol-Nar are just my seafood appetizer.

You can say that to my fishy warsun.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
fahbs2000 wrote:
We generate 6 random races to choose from. A lot of players would go with Winnu last and Jol-Nar first.

I too think the N'orr have been long underrated since TI3. They're even stronger in the 4th edition thanks to a 2nd carrier and 5 infantry.

Yeah I definitely want to take them for a spin this edition. The 2nd carrier is huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.