Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Total noob to the game:

If I have two copies of Gordian Blade for example, and install them both, do I get the Strength of both cards 2+2 to break through the ice? Or do you only ever use 1 card when performing an icebreaker test?

Also Runners and Corporations, Is there only one corresponding character/corporation card meant for each deck, or can you choose one at random?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Installing two copies of the same ice-breaker provides no benefit... unless one of them get's trashed, then you have a back-up.
You are not limited to one card when interacting with ice, for example you can use Wyrm to lower strength and then break sub-routines with other breakers (a horrible experience that players starting with the revised core set will never need to go through...)

In the core set, there is only one identity card for each faction. You can only build decks of that faction with that identity. For playing with cards from different factions, check out the deck-building rules in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the strength of different icebreakers (even if they are duplicates of the same card) isn't additive.

In the core set, yes there is only one identity for each faction. But once you start buying more expansions (if you go that route) then there are multiple options to choose form within each faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted above, having two of the same ICE breaker provides no benefit. Their strength does not stack, just like it never stacks for two different ICE breakers either.
As a general rule, every single ICE breaker has to be the same strength or more as a piece of ICE to interact with it (there are some exceptions outside the core set, but those will be stated clearly on the card), so if you want two different ICE breakers to interact with an ICE, both need to be boosted to match the ICE strength first.

The game does however allow you install two copies of any card that is not unique, which includes most programs. It can, for example, occasionally be a good idea to install two Data Suckers, since both of them will gain counters when you successfully run a central server.
(This is not strategy advice, but it is something you can do if you have the memory and which will be beneficial in the right deck.)

About the other question: Every ID card belongs to a specific faction (Runner: Criminal, Shaper, Anarch; Corp: HB, NBN, Weyland, Jinteki). When building a deck for this ID, cards from its faction, as well as most neutral cards, can be included "for free", i.e. any number. You can include some cards from other factions, too, but this is limited by their "Influence cost". Some neutral cards also have influence. These are the little dots on the side of the card.
The ID card will also state the minimum size your deck must have.
Again, as stated above, check out the deck building section of the rule book for details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another example of a scenario where having two of the same breaker might be useful is with Mongoose, which can only be used once per run, as you would use each one on a different piece of ICE. But yeah, in the vast majority of cases there's no point in installing multiple copies of the same icebreaker, and as noted above you never add their strength together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

As a general rule, every single ICE breaker has to be the same strength or more as a piece of ICE to interact with it (there are some exceptions outside the core set, but those will be stated clearly on the card), so if you want two different ICE breakers to interact with an ICE, both need to be boosted to match the ICE strength first.

So if I were to use one program Code Gate as an icebreaker, then decided on a different card to break a subroutine, that other card must also be strong enough to break the ice again, before I used any of its break subroutine skills?

If so what about Code Gate & Crypsis? I guess using both would be pretty expensive/pointless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Ice is only broken once for each successful Icebreaker card, to access any subroutines, right? and not left wide open for any other cards to join the fray.

Sorry to sound like a total noob, but only got the game over the weekend, and think I've more or less cracked everything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
So if I were to use one program Code Gate as an icebreaker, then decided on a different card to break a subroutine, that other card must also be strong enough to break the ice again, before I used any of its break subroutine skills?

If so what about Code Gate & Crypsis? I guess using both would be pretty expensive/pointless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Ice is only broken once for each successful Icebreaker card, to access any subroutines, right? and not left wide open for any other cards to join the fray.

Sorry to sound like a total noob, but only got the game over the weekend, and think I've more or less cracked everything

Ice has different sub-types, like Code Gate or Sentry. Icebreakers are able to break certain types of subroutines. Here's an example: Let's say you run against a server and you have your Gordian Blade installed. The corp rezzed Tollbooth. Now you encounter it and you must pay 3 credits "on encounter." Then, you can pay 3 credits to boost the strength of your Gordian Blade to 5, and pay 1 more credit to break the "End the Run" subroutine on the tollbooth. Then you can pass the Tollbooth and continue.

If the next ice is a Sentry or a Barrier, the Gordian Blade will not be able to help because it can only break code gate subroutines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but what I'm asking is if I break through the ices strength, with one card, be it Code Gate, or whatever else it has as defence, can I then use a different card to halt any subroutines?

Maybe the strength is better on one card, but the halt subroutines are better from another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
"Code Gate" is an ICE type. The type of ICE breaker that can break it is called "Decoder", and an example of a decoder is Gordian Blade.
(Don't worry about getting confused with the terminology in Netrunner -- there is a lot to learn when you start! )

You will never have a reason to break different subroutines on the same ICE with different ICE breakers. In theory you can, but yes, if you wanted to do that, both ICE breakers would need to have their strength boosted to the same value as the ICE they are interacting with, which is inefficient and useless.
As Brendan says, ICE breakers specify which type of ICE they interact with. If they can break one subroutine on a particular piece of ICE, they can break the others, too.

Note that paid abilities on ICE breakers can be used as often as you want. Again, using Gordian Blade as an example:
- 1 credit to increase strength by one for the rest of the run*)
- 1 credit to break one Code Gate subroutine
First you use the first ability as often as you need to get Gordian Blade's strength to the same value as the ICE you want to break, then you use the second abilitiy to break all the subroutines that you don't want to fire. You don't have to break all subroutines, but all unbroken ones will resolve.

*) Note that the "for the rest of the run" bit is special and particular to Gordian Blade! Most breakers return to their base strength after every single ICE!

I hope this helps!

I also recommend googling common beginner mistakes in Netrunner. There are several people who have written articles on this, and maybe it can help you avoid some pitfalls (hopefully without causing further confusion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Yes, but what I'm asking is if I break through the ices strength, with one card, be it Code Gate, or whatever else it has as defence, can I then use a different card to halt any subroutines?

Maybe the strength is better on one card, but the halt subroutines are better from another card.
No, you can't. You are not "Breaking the ICE's strength".
Getting an ICE breaker to the same strength as the ICE is what allows it to interact with that ICE, in particular to break its subroutines.

The varying efficiency between different ICE breakers is intentional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.