Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-...

Quote:
J.J. Abrams, who launched a new era of Star Wars with The Force Awakens in 2015, is returning to complete the sequel trilogy as writer and director of Star Wars: Episode IX. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.
“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited! I liked TFA a lot. Rogue One...not so much. So having Abrams back means I'll watch episode 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I'm excited! I liked TFA a lot. Rogue One...not so much. So having Abrams back means I'll watch episode 9.

huh. My reaction, exactly opposite on all counts... guess we cancel each other out, opinion-wise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
wmshub wrote:

huh. My reaction, exactly opposite on all counts... guess we cancel each other out, opinion-wise...

Not so much, because you are totally correct and he's just wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Except that you're wrong about him being right and the other guy is really right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
XanderF wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Except that you're wrong about him being right and the other guy is really right.

So while it's long been known that two wrongs make a right, here we have two wrongs AND a right, which.... uh... lemme see... this is going to involve calculus, isn't it?? Crap, I knew I should have studied...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
jeffreyac wrote:
wmshub wrote:

I like both. I am just glad Ron Howard won't be directing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gulp
shake

Abrams is competent as a director in terms of being able to set up action sequences and a general overall pacing. He certainly can give a rollercoaster ride. However, that's about all he does give. His storytelling never ends up delivering any depth or nuance. Sequences, scenes and plot points are all there to serve his strengths of delivering that quick paced amusement park ride. I want Star Wars to be more than that. ESB is still the bar to match or surpass and unfortunately everything after it never quite gets there.

The impression I've gotten over the years from his work and in interviews I've read is that he is that he is someone who does a really good job of seeing something and being able to distill some of the key ingredients that make movies work to affect the audience, but it's ultimately a kind of shorthand. He isn't interested in getting into minutia and weeds of a world to make sure that everything is internally consistent and coherent.

His father was a television producer and he grew up in LA. He gets how the system works and has mastered the kind of narrative levers and buttons to deliver drama and action. He became famous for the kind of narrative tricks that he promoted in TV shows like Alias and Lost, where he'd mess with audience expectations and adroitly suspend a sufficient amount of mystery so that audience imagination would fill in the gaps in the worlds he was presenting.

He can do good, fun stuff. I just don't want him touching my Star Wars. Can't they at least get Christopher Nolan to do a trilogy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abrams lacks in the original ideas department. He is great at directing, but they need to keep him away from the writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disney wants a safe fan service product and that's what he'll give them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter who the directors are if the writers don't have a good plot/story line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steven1mac wrote:
It doesn't matter who the directors are if the writers don't have a good plot/story line.

Isn't that exactly one of the problems with JJ is getting his hands in the writing? Prepare for lens flare, wracl focus, and a lack of understanding of cinematic time and pacing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some suggestions from Stephen Colbert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue One was almost unwatchable. I think mainly due to script but it also had some major editing problems. It's the only "official" star wars movie to have failed to immerse me in the world.

TFA was a great fun reboot. Nowhere near the originals, and it relied on nostalgia too much, but it had some very fun characters and a cohesive plot. I will take shallow over depth when the shallow works and provides an enjoyable movie experience. I mean, that's Star Wars in a nutshell. ESB and RTJ probe some depth for sure, but at the end of the day their focus is still to provide a crowd-pleasing swashbuckling adventure. JJ is a terrible fit for Star Trek, but he's in the same ballpark at least as Star Wars.

I don't know that it's quite fair to compare the two films (ep 7 and rogue 1): rogue one was a standalone whose purpose was to try something new, where the whole point of episode 7 was to see if we could capture that old star wars thing again.

As for episode 9, I'm not sure Abrams is the best choice to finish the trilogy out. Yeah, that he has a hand in the writing is not a great sign. What happened to Kazdan? Co-written by Chris Terrio. Really guys? The writing pool in Hollywood is so low that you can't get someone great for Star Wars? Batman V Superman?! Stop giving work to bad writers...

At least we lost Treverrow. Abrams may not be the best choice, but Treverrow was one of the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, it's like different opinions and everything. I loved The Force Awakens for the nostalgia and the great interplay between the actors. I loved Rogue One as I thought it was one of the most exciting action-oriented movies in the franchise (frankly thought it was the stronger movie than TFA, but again, loved them both). In my opinion, they both stand as equals to the originals, and far above the prequels, which were excruciating in their casting, scripting, and acting. I'm happy to hear JJ is coming back for IX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue One Unwatchable?!?!

I thought Force Awakens was good. Rogue One was great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

I would agree with anybody who called Rogue One unwatchable. I would blame the director and/or editor, the script might have been OK. As I said, I'm glad that Abrams is back to direct episode IX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Abrams lacks in the original ideas department. He is great at directing, but they need to keep him away from the writing.

We need Lucas back as writer. For IDEAS, and even those clever/quotable bits of dialog, he can't be beat (I mean, really, what did we get from TFA? "I will show you the Dark Side"? "It's true, all of it"? Compare to "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." or even "Wipe them out. All of them." - I mean...no contest)

But he does need an editor. While he's great for stories (the prequels are some of the best of Star Wars for the ideas behind them), and a catchy turn of phrase, he REALLLLLY needed someone to fix the rest of what he wrote. Kasdan could probably work, here. And then go ahead and let JJ do casting and directing - I don't think anyone could really fault his work in those areas on TFA (well...aside from his weird thing for people on a planet's surface looking up and seeing things they really couldn't possibly see...that does feel like a directing mistake vs writing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

We need Lucas back as writer. For IDEAS, and even those clever/quotable bits of dialog, he can't be beat (I mean, really, what did we get from TFA? "I will show you the Dark Side"? "It's true, all of it"? Compare to "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." or even "Wipe them out. All of them." - I mean...no contest)

But he does need an editor. While he's great for stories (the prequels are some of the best of Star Wars for the ideas behind them), and a catchy turn of phrase, he REALLLLLY needed someone to fix the rest of what he wrote. Kasdan could probably work, here. And then go ahead and let JJ do casting and directing - I don't think anyone could really fault his work in those areas on TFA (well...aside from his weird thing for people on a planet's surface looking up and seeing things they really couldn't possibly see...that does feel like a directing mistake vs writing)

The influence of Marcia Lucas on development, especially in contrast to the prequels, is an interesting read.

In short, she was able to successfully intervene and counter much of George's weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

Rogue One was a hot mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
This is unfortunate.

I enjoyed TFA quite a bit - ranking it above the prequels and about on par with RoTJ (maybe slightly lower). It didn't come close to touching ANH or ESB.

My main issue with TFA was that - while it FELT like Star Wars and had some interesting new characters - it offered very, VERY little new components to the narrative, and in fact made a couple sizable errors in its storytelling which dropped it substantially.

JJ in the past has mentioned that they intentionally copied the story structure of ANH in order to reignite fan interest and not play too much with expectations. This is why we have a death star 3, an Emperor 2, and ship/costume designs that look virtually the same as the original trilogy.

The problem is... when I think of the JJ directed movies I've seen thus far - Super 8 and the first two Star treks - those three movies offered hardly anything new, either. That's four movies out of the five in his portfolio that essentially are just copying what previous, better directors and storytellers have done.

It's the cinematic equivalent to that kid in art class who can draw amazing copies of Dragonball Z or Disney art, but is incapable of creating anything new himself - even in that same stylistic vein. If someone else hasn't SEEN Dragonball Z or Aladdin, you might think the kid's an amazing artist.

Anyhow... I truly do understand why Disney would play it safe with TFA, but JJ's track record for originality is batting virtually zero. I'm not at all confident we'll see an episode nine that delivers on anything (hopefully) episode 8 sets up (though to be truthful, I'm still not convinced episode 8 won't be a clone of ESB...).

I think it's only a matter of time - dwindling time - before mimicking the feel no longer completely pays off for Disney. Then again, what the general public throws $$$ at these days astounds me, so what the hell do I know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

While it had issues, ie it didn't get the audience invested in the early going, I think calling it a hot mess is a bit strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

While it had issues, ie it didn't get the audience invested in the early going, I think calling it a hot mess is a bit strong.

While I hate the fact that Disney seems to be content only mining previous timeline material for their non-episode movies, I thought Rogue One did a fantastic job of finally giving adult fans the more grown-up spin on the material that we've (err... I've) been waiting for since 1980.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

It had pacing issues and could have possibly been longer to give the characters a little more legroom, but the story was compelling and I enjoyed the little bit we got of the characters. I wanted to find out more about pretty much everyone except Jyn so I think that was a success.

TFA was also, I think, exactly what it needed to be. It needed to be a big banner stating "Star Wars is fun again! The magic you loved is still here!" I hope with the next two they start to deviate from the formula a bit (and don't overdo the cutesie characters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.