Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Evangelista
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this has already been initiated but here goes:

Its hard to compare wins and losses in TM due to the randomness of the cards. So how about we organize our cards in numerical order from lowest to highest and from there we have a TM Solo tournament. This way everyone can compare our TM skills under identical conditions. We would also all have to play with the same corporation conditions, so I recommend playing Game 1 with the basic corporation card and then post your score once you're done (If you absolutely want to play with one of the other corporations, just specify in your score which corporation you played with). As a second challenge, once you're done, play the same way but going through the deck from highest numbered card to the lowest.

PS: You don't have to waste your time putting all the cards in numerical order. You will use the first 4 cards to place the 2 city and 2 greenery tiles, then come your initial 10 cards and then 52 cards (4 cards X 13 rounds). This comes to 66 cards. Factor in a few more cards you can gain from tile placement and/or benefits from a card. Therefore, you would only need to put about 70-75 cards in numerical order.

Let me know what you think but more importantly let me know what you scored!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
mevang44 wrote:

On the one hand, this idea actually seems kinda interesting. On the other hand:

A) I'm uninclined to want to play such a game with the basic corporation, as the basic corporation is deeply weird relative to the rest of them (i.e. starting with 10 cards is *really* different than the standard start).

B) I'm even less inclined to want to organize my cards in numerical order, which, really, is the only way to make this work. And, as you note, there might be sub optimal order built in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
A) I'm uninclined to want to play such a game with the basic corporation, as the basic corporation is deeply weird relative to the rest of them (i.e. starting with 10 cards is *really* different than the standard start).

I see Beginner as being similar to Phobolog and Cinematics - ie. a fast-starting corp (with cards instead of metals) but not much else afterwards. (nothing in this case)

I have played solo with Beginner though - and while it's definitely bottom-tier, it is still viable and it's different enough to add a little more variety to the line-up. (don't forget that it was designed to be played alongside the other corps, so it has to be balanced)

Quote:
B) I'm even less inclined to want to organize my cards in numerical order, which, really, is the only way to make this work. And, as you note, there might be sub optimal order built in.

Even if you did that, you'd still be drawing different cards in each game...and if they are numbered randomly it doesn't really change anything. Unless he actually means sort the deck into numerical order before drawing, in which case everyone would have identical cards and probably scores. (at least among the experienced players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:
I see Beginner as being similar to Phobolog and Cinematics - ie. a fast-starting corp (with cards instead of metals) but not much else afterwards. (nothing in this case)

Sure. I just find the beginner corp way too different from the regular ones; starting with 10 cards is kinda nuts; like not "I'm gonna win every game" kinda nuts, but "this is so different from regular" kinda nuts.

Quote:
Even if you did that, you'd still be drawing different cards in each game...and if they are numbered randomly it doesn't really change anything. Unless he actually means sort the deck into numerical order before drawing, in which case everyone would have identical cards and probably scores. (at least among the experienced players)

From what I understand of this idea, he exactly means to sort the deck into numerical order before drawing. Sort of a "duplicate bridge" kinda set up so that everyone playing has the exact same cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Evangelista
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
mevang44 wrote:

On the one hand, this idea actually seems kinda interesting. On the other hand:

A) No problem then, just choose your preferred corporation and specify what you scored with that corporation. People that play the same corporation as you did will be able to compare those scores.

B) I know its tedious but its the only way that we'd be playing the same deck. The idea is to compare scores under identical factors. Having said that if, for example, a person's first ocean tile is placed on a "2 card" space and another player doesn't play their ocean tile there, this will create the subtle differences in game play that will make this whole exercise interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Evangelista
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Scores should be similar and very experienced players should score the highest. The point is to see just how high you score compared to the best players out there and whether you are one of them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your idea looks like an interesting intellectual exercise. The starting hand would be:

1. Colonizer Training Camp
2. Asteroid Mining Consortium
3. Deep Well Heating
4. Cloud Seeding
5. Search for Life
6. Inventors' Guild
7. Martian Rails
8. Capital
9. Asteroid
10. Comet

The 4 next cards:

11. Big Asteroid
12. Water Import from Europa
13. Space Elevator
14. Development Center
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ispher wrote:
Your idea looks like an interesting intellectual exercise. The starting hand would be:

3. Deep Well Heating
4. Cloud Seeding
5. Search for Life
6. Inventors' Guild
7. Martian Rails
8. Capital
9. Asteroid
10. Comet

The 4 next cards:

11. Big Asteroid
13. Space Elevator
14. Development Center
Those first four cards are actually the neutral cities (at 8 and 13) and greeneries.

Three of the starting hand allow flipping cards out of the deck. This would allow us to time when cards would appear and allow some cards to be simply discarded.
For Search for Life, the first microbes are at 33-34-35; while virus, otherwise useless, is at 50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Evangelista
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
Ispher wrote:

3. Deep Well Heating
4. Cloud Seeding
5. Search for Life
6. Inventors' Guild
7. Martian Rails
8. Capital
9. Asteroid
10. Comet

The 4 next cards:

11. Big Asteroid
13. Space Elevator
14. Development Center
Those first four cards are actually the neutral cities (at 8 and 13) and greeneries.

Three of the starting hand allow flipping cards out of the deck. This would allow us to time when cards would appear and allow some cards to be simply discarded.
For Search for Life, the first microbes are at 33-34-35; while virus, otherwise useless, is at 50.

The first 4 cards should be used to place the 2 city tiles and the 2 greenery tiles around them. This is what my starting board looks like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Evangelista
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First attempt .... unsuccessful!cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
Ispher wrote:

3. Deep Well Heating
4. Cloud Seeding
5. Search for Life
6. Inventors' Guild
7. Martian Rails
8. Capital
9. Asteroid
10. Comet

The 4 next cards:

11. Big Asteroid
13. Space Elevator
14. Development Center

Indeed. Looks like I failed the intellectual exercise before I even started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made it! cool

Final score: 58TR + 13 Greeneries + 10 City points + 11 card points (only 21 cards played) = 92 points. Last card drawn: 84 (Trans-Neptune Probe).

It was difficult. I had to abort my first try at generation 4 because I was keeping too many cards. The second time it worked. Thanks Marco, it was a fun challenge!

in case anyone is interested, I wrote down the whole game turn-by-turn (as I do for my Terraforming the Solar System campaign), but I prefer not to post it right away so as not to spoil anyone's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also tried the 208-1 challenge. It was quite easier because Soletta is in the starting hand.

Final score: 58TR + 11 greeneries + 10 City points + 22 card points (39 cards played) = 101 points. Last card drawn: 123 (Industrial Center)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Evangelista
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally acheived victory! 82 points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By the way, if you want the extra challenge of not knowing what you will get (for instance you know that card X will be popping up in generation 5) you can

1) put everything in the same proposed order 1,2,3..

and then, 2) randomize then in a way that is simple enough to be duplicated, but complex enough that you cant calculate (easily) what you will get

for instance, make 7 piles

1-2-3-4-5-6-7
8-9-... etc

then take the first 23 cards to make pile A, then 57 for pile B, leftover being pile C

then put it in C-B-A order ^^

and then everyone can play (once) with the same deck (and corp?) without knowing what to expect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.