Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/12/middl...

Inflation adjusted median income hit $59,039 last year, surpassing the previous record of $58,655 from 1999. I'm sure, somehow, that this is a Republican accomplishment. I guess I'll have to wait a few days for them to explain how the did it.

In other notes, asians continue to kick everyone's ass. When are white people going to get some of that sweet affirmative action? There is no way that asians could actually just be working harder than whites, clearly there is some massive racism going on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You joke, but I know two people who worked as lower level folks at an asian company locally that had only hire male asians for the high level positions before and while they worked there.

The company also had a ton of sexual harassment there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/12/middl...

Inflation adjusted median income hit $59,039 last year, surpassing the previous record of $58,655 from 1999. I'm sure, somehow, that this is a Republican accomplishment. I guess I'll have to wait a few days for them to explain how the did it.

In other notes, asians continue to kick everyone's ass. When are white people going to get some of that sweet affirmative action? There is no way that asians could actually just be working harder than whites, clearly there is some massive racism going on here.

You get it in the fact that those who are in tech will on average earn more. When only comparing similar jobs/experience you'll notice a different set of lines. Bit of an old story, I'm sure there's more out there - https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/10/09/high-tech-pay...

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/07/01/racial-gende...

The thing that that those numbers show is that on a whole Asians tend to push more for high paying jobs than others. I don't think I've seen my friends of other ethnicities place a priority on expected earnings for a career or education choice as much as Asians do. The whole - I'm going to be a starving artist thing gets shot down typically. I'll admit we do clump up in STEM far more than others.

The other factor being how a household functions. IE are kids moving out, are both parents working, are there even 2 parents. This is a similarly pretty picture that fails to give sufficient info as what's going on because the various groups aren't equally distributed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
You joke, but I know two people who worked as lower level folks at an asian company locally that had only hire male asians for the high level positions before and while they worked there.

The company also had a ton of sexual harassment there.

AA and nepotism can look similar. The other being the propensity for people to hire those similar to themselves, especially if there's a language and cultural component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Where people live makes a big difference in median income. Cupertino, for example, is 63% Asian, with a median household income of $134,000. (Helps to be where Apple was founded.) Down the road a few dozen miles is Gilroy, an agriculutural hub, which is only 3% Asian, with a median income of $66,000.

Further, a lot of the Asians here qualified as immigrants based on qualifications to work in the tech industry; they were pre-screened for high income jobs before they were allowed to even come here. Are they a highly motivated group? Of course they are; if they weren't, they wouldn't have been allowed in.

Are Asians discriminated against in spite of all of this? They can be. If you look at the Apple executive team, for example, you will see a very white group:

https://www.apple.com/leadership/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
draxx01 wrote:
I'll admit we do clump up in STEM far more than others.
You make Asians sound like heart disease. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks Donald!

#MAGA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, chinese restaurants are pretty darned successful when done right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Also, chinese restaurants are pretty darned successful when done right!
Lots of MSG!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
sfox wrote:
Inflation adjusted median income hit $59,039 last year, surpassing the previous record of $58,655 from 1999.

You can't compare 2016 and 1999 since the census changed the way they calculate income in 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.