Subject: Miniatures plastic type? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyubo Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what type of plastic are 2nd edition miniatures made of?

We have played several games with our group and I decided to try to paint the minis. I bought Citadel primer, paints and some brushes. I also purchased a multi purpose varnishing spray which, however, is not recommended for polystyrene in particular. I associate polystyrene with food containers, but I have no clue really of all these plastic/polymer types.

Thanks and best regards,
Lyubo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Seckman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert, but I've use Citadel, Game Color, Army Painter, pretty much any acrylic paint on my descent mini's and the all worked fine. You should be ok with the varnish spray, as long as it's suitable for acrylic paint and plastic. I would suggest googling the brand name of the varnish + miniatures and see if you find anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain it's not polystyrene, given how it's elasticity changes so much over the range of 0-100 deg C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Desrochers
Canada
Mirabel
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Used Krylon matte finish on mine and it worked great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
I don't know what polystyrene is but I've noted at least a couple of different materials that the minis are made from. The reanimate mini's are a noticeably harder plastic and the mini is flatter than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyubo Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the comments all. I will then stick to the original plan and use that multi purpose varnish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.