6 Posts

Element» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a river double back over itself? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Ray
msg tools
Hello!

We have some educated guesses for the answers, but I figured I'd go for a more official answer if I could get one.

Can a long river double back on itself? There's 3 edge cases that are interesting.

If I just placed a 4th water making a river, so from this starting position

------
-WWW--
------

I play

------
-WWWW-
------

1. Can I overlap a spot where my river started this turn? Ex, down, left, left, up? Resulting in: (Our guess is yes, but we thought we could see some arguments for saying rivers can't go both east/west *and* north/south in the same place on the same turn )

------
--W---
--WWW-

2. Can I "chase my tail" -- ex, go down, left, up right, ending like:

------
---WW-
---WW-

This still feels like a "probably allowed" situation, but is arguably different from the above example.

And then #3, the "likely not allowed" option: Can I cross over the moving river? -- slightly different start:

-------
-WWWWW-
-------

can I go right down, left, up, up, ending like:

-----W-
-----WW
-----WW

where I crossed my own tail while it was still there?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egon Wirsing
Germany
Alaska
flag msg tools
I was wondering the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of all the stones in a river as traveling together/simultaneously with the head water stone pulling all the other stones behind it. As long as each stone occupies only one space at a time then you're good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
Think of all the stones in a river as traveling together/simultaneously with the head water stone pulling all the other stones behind it. As long as each stone occupies only one space at a time then you're good to go.

I think all but 3 would be allowed. As I recall, one of the examples has a long river end up with a couple bends in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richie
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, think of all the water in a river moving simultaneously. For connivence sake we tend to move one stone at a time, but they are all moving together. So a river can double back on a space it previously occupied, but that space needs to be empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ray
msg tools
Right, so that clearly shows that example 1 is okay and example 3 is not, but example 2 is still kinda fuzzy/arguable both ways.

If the head of the river is moving onto the spot the tail "is currently" then there's a decent argument that "well by the time it gets to the square, the tail is gone, so that's fine" vs a decent argument that "it can't move into that space because when you are deciding which way to move, there is a water token in the square you're choosing to move to."

Any additional thoughts on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.