Subject: Stumbled into a combo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Freiday
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent playthrough with some friends I stumbled into a pretty handy combo. In the first act I got Frigga's Succor into play allowing my to invade with 1 warrior for free whenever I invade. I also got the Dwarven chieftain which meant I could invade 2x for free placing 4 figures and a total of 7 str on the board. Had I known this would form into a strategy I also would have grabbed Loki's Eminence in Age 2 but I did not. In Age 3 I got Frigga's Sacrifice into play which lets you destroy 2 figures to increase 1 Stat. I also played the Glorious Death quest. So essentially in the third Age I was able to invade with 2 warriors for free (1 with leader, 1 with Dwarf Chieftain) and with my other 6 warriors for 3 rage total. I was able pillage a few territories (focused on Horns first to get more figures out) and sacrifice 2 warriors 4 different times to raise clan stats. This also guaranteed I would have the necessary figures in Valhalla for my glorious death quest as well. I was also the last player standing because it was so rage efficient not that this matters but it was nice to have the freedom at the end to get everything I needed to get done. I would have likely taken Loki's Wrath given the opportunity.

In addition this combo pairs well with the Sea Serpant/Dragons combo as it allows you to place your ships anywhere, pillage with them and still guarantee their destruction. Obviously with the Frigga's Succor/Brothers[Master's] in Arms combo. Alternatively you can use your increased army to try and fill as many slots as possible in the next Ragnarok zone or keep them on the board and gain points from Thor's conquest but I would argue you get the most benefit from the stat increases.

Anyway, That's the combo, it lead me to victory and I thought I would share. Use it in good health!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds dangerously addictive. Nicely done sir. I commend you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually thought I broke the game early on in my playing due to this combo. I was lucky enough to get DC and FS in the draft in a couple games, and they resulted in landslide victories.

However, I admit those victories also came from us all being fairly new and me getting those 2 cards was because the others didn't appreciate their value yet. Now, everyone in my group knows the power of both of those cards and they are almost always first pack first picks.

Indeed, a gigantic lead to anyone able to grab those 2 pieces in Age 1. Like you said, 7 STR on board for 0 rage! Gigantic. Even better...you can use it to do stuff. No need to fear losing the STR. Because it is 7 STR for 0 rage in Age 2 and Age 3, as well, should a battle not go as planned and you lose the units, costing only turns to redeploy.

Ahhhh, fond memories of that combo. I wish my fellow players would let me have it again 1 last time. Damn them getting good! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.