Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Can you downgrade your leader?

My friend picked Bill S in Age 2 and then I hate drafted the last Opera. So he ended up never electing him and picked Gahndi in Age 3, so I dumped all my military into colonies.

Could he have replaced Gahndi with Bill S since he hasn't been discarded yet so he could aggress me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipsAhoya wrote:

My friend picked Bill S in Age 2 and then I hate drafted the last Opera. So he ended up never electing him and picked Gahndi in Age 3, so I dumped all my military into colonies.

Could he have replaced Gahndi with Bill S since he hasn't been discarded yet so he could aggress me?
You mean Johan S. Bach. Yes, you can play him and replace Ghandi. But, he will still die at the end of Age III and you cannot take another leader from Age III, as you have already taken one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. Don't you immediately play your leader once they are acquired? I haven't played in a few months, but I don't recall any "elect" action...

Also, how would you "elect" him if you didn't acquire him from the card row? Is this a variant I am unaware of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
I'm confused. Don't you immediately play your leader once they are acquired? I haven't played in a few months, but I don't recall any "elect" action...

Also, how would you "elect" him if you didn't acquire him from the card row? Is this a variant I am unaware of?

No, the leader does not immediately go into play. When you take a leader from the card row, he/she goes into your hand along with any other civil cards you're holding. Then you can use a civil action to elect that leader, either during the same turn or a subsequent turn. Same as playing any other civil card from your hand.

If your newly elected leader is replacing a leader, then you get back the civil action you spent to elect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Picon wrote:
ChipsAhoya wrote:

You mean Johan S. Bach. Yes, you can play him and replace Ghandi. But, he will still die at the end of Age III and you cannot take another leader from Age III, as you have already taken one.

No, I meant Shakespeare. He's not much good if you don't have a library and a theater tech! But thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Rules wrote:
Play a Leader
A leader is a green civil card with a portrait of a famous historical figure in the upper right corner.
Pay 1 civil action.
Choose a leader from your hand.
Put the leader in play.
If you already have a leader in play, it is replaced.
− Discard the old leader.
− Get one civil action back.
The leader's effects apply immediately. Update your statistics, if necessary.

Unless I can find something else in the rules that says otherwise, I'd say Bill S can replace Gandhi. Unlikely to happen, but it seems perfectly legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:

Unless I can find something else in the rules that says otherwise, I'd say Bill S can replace Gandhi. Unlikely to happen, but it seems perfectly legal.

From the Code of Laws:

"If you have taken a leader, you cannot take another leader from that age. This applies even if the leader you took has already left play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
SWxNW wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

From the Code of Laws:

"If you have taken a leader, you cannot take another leader from that age. This applies even if the leader you took has already left play."

Not relevant because Shakespeare is from Age II and Gandhi is from Age III.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, that's right. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
The Rules wrote:
Play a Leader
A leader is a green civil card with a portrait of a famous historical figure in the upper right corner.
Pay 1 civil action.
Choose a leader from your hand.
Put the leader in play.
If you already have a leader in play, it is replaced.
− Discard the old leader.
− Get one civil action back.
The leader's effects apply immediately. Update your statistics, if necessary.

I'll sometimes have an Age A leader unelected, but then see Columbus come out early when I have a territory in hand. I'll take Columbus, get my territory for free, and then elect my Age A leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously I elect my Age A leader too early. this sounds like a great plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
SWxNW wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

From the Code of Laws:

Not relevant because Shakespeare is from Age II and Gandhi is from Age III.

Whoops, I saw "Bill" and ignored the S... thought Bill Gates was being referred to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.