Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After the random event(clouds) are dealt with, we are free to move to the revealed terrain if we want to. But each terrain card has its own cost associated with moving there, in the lower left corner, correct?

Questions:

1) Can this movement cost be reduced or mitigated in any way? Otherwise it seems like a lot of your deck is going away just by moving around?

2) If you want to backtrack, you don't need to add up all the discard costs of those tiles between you and your destination, correct? You only pay the cost of the terrain tile you are moving to, correct?

Thanks again for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not the terrain you are moving TO, but the terrain you are moving FROM (that you are currently on).

Assuming you are successful (and usually the success number is '0') - you may then move as far as you want as long as every card you move over is a terrain card.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are items you can find that will reduce movement cost.

2nd edit:
Quote:
After the random event(clouds) are dealt with, we are free to move to the revealed terrain if we want to.

The way you worded this could lead to problems. The Pathfind action on the back of an Exploration card allows you to flip over that card and deal with it. Once that card is discarded, the new terrain card replaces it. You do not move there automatically. Once you decide to move there you take the Move action that is on the terrain card you are on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
After the random event(clouds) are dealt with, we are free to move to the revealed terrain if we want to. But each terrain card has its own cost associated with moving there, in the lower left corner, correct?

Questions:

1) Can this movement cost be reduced or mitigated in any way? Otherwise it seems like a lot of your deck is going away just by moving around?

2) If you want to backtrack, you don't need to add up all the discard costs of those tiles between you and your destination, correct? You only pay the cost of the terrain tile you are moving to, correct?

Thanks again for your help

No, after an exploration card is dealt with, you do not move.
The move cost in the bottom left is the cost to move from the terrain, not to it.
When you do move from a card, you may move any number of terrain cards (you may not move over permanent event 'bridge' cards, however.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the few gripes I have with the game: When you rest, all explored cards are returned, so you have to explore all of it again, which is A LOT more costly to do. So it effectively hurts to rest often without any real benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:

Lots of cards help with that. Craft the walking stick or the pole, or use one of the sigle-use cards that give you a generic [-3] or [-2] cards on all actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
Neva Kee wrote:
This is one of the few gripes I have with the game: When you rest, all explored cards are returned, so you have to explore all of it again, which is A LOT more costly to do. So it effectively hurts to rest often without any real benefit.

To avoid confusion: not when you perform a rest-action but when you save/load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Brackwater wrote:
Neva Kee wrote:

To avoid confusion: not when you perform a rest-action but when you save/load.

You are right, of course...still - I feel that the game can get a lot harder, when you save after doing a lot of exploring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
1) Can this movement cost be reduced or mitigated in any way?
Strangely, no one has yet mentioned that movement cost is reduced by 1 whenever you move to a location where another character and/or a fire is present. This can be used tactically to reduce exploration costs in some situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
randiv wrote:
ebridge wrote:
Strangely, no one has yet mentioned that walking movement cost is reduced by 1 whenever you move to a location where another character and/or a fire miniature is present. This can be used tactically to reduce exploration costs in some situations.

Added two things (bolded) to avoid misunderstandings.
Also the bonus in with solo characters is bigger (I don't have the cards in front of me now. I think it's -3?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
ebridge wrote:
Strangely, no one has yet mentioned that movement cost is reduced by 1 whenever you move to a location where another character and/or a fire is present. This can be used tactically to reduce exploration costs in some situations.

In addition, all involved players move during successful movement, so you can move everyone as a group for cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have asked this before and is now confused.
If I am at a location with a price of 1 to move (as indicated on that rule), and want to move to another location with a cost of 2 to move. Am I paying 1 (as indicated on my present tile) or 2 as indicated on my destination tile?
Last time I asked on the forum everybody said that I had to pay the price of the destination.
Is that true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You take actions on your own terrain space, not on the destination. That action is giving you the benefit to move so it is that cost which you are paying (the one on your Terrain card).

However, your destination space is important too. If there is a fire there or another character already there, then each character involved in the action can use the ability on their character card to reduce the cost of the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.