Subject: Please BGG, put up the Legacy of Dragonholt page. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As discussed in a previous thread. This is not an RPG. It is a narrative adventure board game. It's listed as a board game by FFG. Their press release says board game. I keep trying to talk to people about it and they want to pull it up on here and can't. Please add it already, it's been like 2 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in the queue (multiple times)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/items/boardgame/pending/page/6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And get me some tea. Earl Gray. Hot.

Pete (joins in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

They said they are gonna put it on the rpg site not the board game, despite it being a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
cafin8d wrote:

They said they are gonna put it on the rpg site not the board game, despite it being a board game.

Do you have a link for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say, I looked at the webpage for this at the main FFG site -- it looks and feels like an RPG, not a regular board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
I gotta say, I looked at the webpage for this at the main FFG site -- it looks and feels like an RPG, not a regular board game.

I don't know about that. To me the big difference between an RPG and a board game is how my actions are responded to. How structured are the responses? If there is ever an action that can provoke an infinite amount of potential responses, it's an RPG. If all responses are finite, it's a board game.

This game seems very structured. It has branching storylines, but everything seems finite. To me, if Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, Tales of the Arabian Nights and T.I.M.E Stories are board games, then this is too from what I have seen about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Game theoretical tangent alert!)

s3kt0r wrote:
To me the big difference between an RPG and a board game is how my actions are responded to. How structured are the responses? If there is ever an action that can provoke an infinite amount of potential responses, it's an RPG. If all responses are finite, it's a board game.

This seems untrue (or imprecisely stated). There are board games with infinite amounts of possible actions (though I'd agree that it's atypical.)

E.g. I think there are some financial boardgames where you can freely go into debt (let's say for the sake of argument that you must finish with positive money to be able to win), so in auctions you could bid any amount of money, no matter how large (even though of course sufficiently large bids become irrationally bad play), i.e. you have an infinite amount of possible actions.

I'd say rather that a significant difference between an RPG and a boardgame is that boardgames have explicitly spelled out rules, or at least that is their intention: all situations which can arise are covered by the rules, without requiring players to make judgment calls and improvise to resolve "unexpected" or "strange" situations or player actions. (Of course sometimes players have to do this in boardgames due to unclearly written rules...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

Especially when you consider that CYOA style books are on the RPG side. To me the Oracle system looks and feels like a deluxe CYOA style game.

Some quotes from FFG "Most of all, it is not about winning or losing, but immersing oneself in a narrative of your own creation, and presenting players with a living and ever-changing unverse. The Oracle system does this by capturing the immersive storytelling of a roleplaying game without the need of a game master." Again this hints at more RPG than boardgame (the bit I have bolded). Note there are a number of RPGs which do not have game masters so that bit should not concern us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

[snip]

I'd say rather that a significant difference between an RPG and a boardgame is that boardgames have explicitly spelled out rules, or at least that is their intention: all situations which can arise are covered by the rules, without requiring players to make judgment calls and improvise to resolve "unexpected" or "strange" situations or player actions. (Of course sometimes players have to do this in boardgames due to unclearly written rules...)

Which is maybe true in the main however RPGGeek also covers CYOA style (for example Fighting Fantasy) game books which do have explicitly spelled out rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

Especially when you consider that CYOA style books are on the RPG side. To me the Oracle system looks and feels like a deluxe CYOA style game.

Some quotes from FFG "Most of all, it is not about winning or losing, but immersing oneself in a narrative of your own creation, and presenting players with a living and ever-changing unverse. The Oracle system does this by capturing the immersive storytelling of a roleplaying game without the need of a game master." Again this hints at more RPG than boardgame (the bit I have bolded). Note there are a number of RPGs which do not have game masters so that bit should not concern us.

If FFG thought their own game was an RPG, they would have most certainly put it under their RPG pages. Instead it's under board games and is called a narrative adventure boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
As discussed in a previous thread.

If there's a previous thread, why start a new one?

SeerMagic wrote:

[citation needed]. I recall a comment something along the lines of "we're considering where it fits best", but I don't think I've seen any indication that a decision had been reached.

SeerMagic wrote:
If FFG thought their own game was an RPG, they would have most certainly put it under their RPG pages. Instead it's under board games and is called a narrative adventure boardgame.

FFG have employed some rather odd definitions in the past (particularly treading a very thin line between what is a miniatures game on a board and what is a board game with miniatures). FFG sets the definitions used by FFG. BGG sets the definitions used by BGG. Neither company is under any obligation to follow the other's lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

Sometimes publishers release alternate art items and call them Expansions, with Expansions on the box. Then people submit corrections to the Accessory entry, and say, "It says Expansion on the box", even though it fits with BGG's definition of an Accessory (alternate art).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ratimir wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
As discussed in a previous thread.

If there's a previous thread, why start a new one?

Welcome to BoardGameGeek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
russ wrote:

[snip]

Which is maybe true in the main however RPGGeek also covers CYOA style (for example Fighting Fantasy) game books which do have explicitly spelled out rules.

Yet the BGG side also has some CYOA mechanic games. So that measurement is hardly cut in stone, now is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
andyl wrote:
russ wrote:

[snip]

Yet the BGG side also has some CYOA mechanic games. So that measurement is hardly cut in stone, now is it?

Sure - but it explains why there has to be some discussion as to which side of the fence this will fall on, and why it doesn't immediately go on to BGG by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

s3kt0r wrote:
To me the big difference between an RPG and a board game is how my actions are responded to. How structured are the responses? If there is ever an action that can provoke an infinite amount of potential responses, it's an RPG. If all responses are finite, it's a board game.

This seems untrue (or imprecisely stated). There are board games with infinite amounts of possible actions (though I'd agree that it's atypical.)

E.g. I think there are some financial boardgames where you can freely go into debt (let's say for the sake of argument that you must finish with positive money to be able to win), so in auctions you could bid any amount of money, no matter how large (even though of course sufficiently large bids become irrationally bad play), i.e. you have an infinite amount of possible actions.

It's probably imprecisely stated (or just untrue) because I'm still trying to distill it in my head. I concede that some inputs and outputs in board games are numbers and therefore could be infinite. But, that's it, right? It's just a number choice. I can't decide to pay the bank back in Fruit Loops.

In RPGs, I can take any action that my imagination comes up with, or at least try to, and the game has to respond to it. There are an endless type of actions I can take. Instead of fighting the monster, I can try to negotiate with it. I can try tossing one of my friends at it. I can choose to draw the Mona Lisa eating Skittles in the dirt with my sword. The game world has to respond to any action I choose. My actions are only limited by my imagination. I cannot do that in a board game unless there is a section that handles drawing Mona Lisas eating Skittles.

But, I think this is what you are saying in your own definition, so I think we agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:

I can try tossing one of my friends at it.

Note to self, no adventuring with this guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:

I can try tossing one of my friends at it.

Note to self, no adventuring with this guy.

Note to self, adventure with that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

RPGGeek.com is up and running? Every time I check it's still in test mode with some sample data appearing on the front page.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

RPGGeek.com is up and running? Every time I check it's still in test mode with some sample data appearing on the front page.

S.

It appears to be running for me. I've never seen anything in "test mode". The only odd thing is I have to re-login.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

It appears to be running for me. I've never seen anything in "test mode". The only odd thing is I have to re-login.

I was being sarcastic. There just isn't a lot of traffic there, stuff remains on the front page for a week or more.

Putting this game there kind of ghetto-izes it because RPG Geek doesn't get anywhere near as much traffic as BGG does. Given the nature of Role Playing Games and copyright issues it's much more difficult to post materials that are worthy of attention. Though I'll grant that BGG has slowed down too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doh lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/7/legacy-o...

"Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce a new cooperative narrative game in Legacy of Dragonholt! The first game to use the Oracle system, Legacy of Dragonholt contains six quests set in the Runebound universe that take as many as six daring heroes to the outskirts of Terrinoth. Adventurers build their own stories by making choices that will lead into dark caves and dangerous forests, pit them against cunning bandits and vicious monsters, earn them wealth and fame, and hopefully bring them to foil the plot of an evil overlord."

"The Oracle system does this by capturing the immersive storytelling of a roleplaying game without the need of a game master."

Absolutely nothing in that description sounds like a board game. This is a RPG by their own description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics sound similar to Winter Tales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.