Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the Day of Days scenario, where Krug is occasionally on the map. Maybe.

My question is about how leaders, command and phone lines interact.

Assuming Krug is not on the board, are units with a P symbol and units of the same division stacked with them considered in command for all purposes?

In other words, do they suffer a -1 to TQ, are ineligible for second actions, or cannot be involved in spotted indirect fire?

The phone rules are a little vague on this point. Krug is commanding a widely scattered group of units and were this a campaign game those units would be in command, at least for the first couple of game days.

The special Krug rule seems like it would mean the P units are not in command unless Krug is on the map, although I could also see the Krug rule being mostly to allow 736th unit's in general to gain the benefits of command.

I do assume that it would be tough to get the formation chit for the 736th in play because of the limitations on having that leader on the map for a specific amount of time, although that seems to be more about the leader arriving on the scene. Krug is there the whole time, just not on this particular map.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
I'm playing the Day of Days scenario, where Krug is occasionally on the map. Maybe.

My question is about how leaders, command and phone lines interact.

Assuming Krug is not on the board, are units with a P symbol and units of the same division stacked with them considered in command for all purposes?

In other words, do they suffer a -1 to TQ, are ineligible for second actions, or cannot be involved in spotted indirect fire?

The phone rules are a little vague on this point. Krug is commanding a widely scattered group of units and were this a campaign game those units would be in command, at least for the first couple of game days.

The special Krug rule seems like it would mean the P units are not in command unless Krug is on the map, although I could also see the Krug rule being mostly to allow 736th unit's in general to gain the benefits of command.

I do assume that it would be tough to get the formation chit for the 736th in play because of the limitations on having that leader on the map for a specific amount of time, although that seems to be more about the leader arriving on the scene. Krug is there the whole time, just not on this particular map.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

With a command and despatch rating of zero the division isn't going to be doing great deal. 4 command points is the most you ever generate but the divisional chit will allow movement of the infantry units onto the strongpoints/wn counters as a first action thus putting them in command, regardless of Krug's presence and allow CP's to be spent on them when the direct command chit is drawn. -1TQ OOC penalty no longer applies provided they are stacked on counter with a P symbol and the 0700 scenario event raises the base TQ to zero.

You could also buy the formation chit for GR regt. 736/716 by saving CPs.(subject to how your CP/DP die rolling goes). You don't need the formation leader onboard to purchase the formation chit. Of course the fact that he isn't onboard will limit the unit to one action, unless stacked on a P symbol counter, when the chit is drawn.

At the moment the 736/716 infantry units are mounting a counterattack on Merville in my game. I wouldn't hold out much hope for their success, but they can be used.

Spotting is only possible when they are in command, so unless Krug is actually onboard and within command range or the unit is stacked on a P symbol counter then they can't spot for indirect fire.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Paul. You ended up answering my question even though I was less concerned with what use having command was and more whether the phone units could be considered in command.

It sounds like I was correct, phone units and anything stacked with them are in command, and Krug's presence on the board is to allow the other 716th units to be in command as well. The main reason that's important is for the -1 TQ penalty in this game, but I like to understand the full implications of a rule.

In my game, this affects the Melville battery the most, but other units as well esp for opfire.

Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.