Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the idea of getting a convention going in Santa Fe, NM.

It would probably be the last weekend in June.

Already have the name- WGACon = Weekend Get Away Con

Family friendly as there is a ton of stuff to do in Santa Fe; Hiking, biking, Meow Wolf (amazing), hot air balloon rides in Albuquerque.

Just an initial inquiry.

Poll
Would you consider coming to a weekend long family friendly Con in Santa Fe, NM:
yes
no
      22 answers
Poll created by zboat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted no, but it is a heck of a long way for me to travel for a new unestablished Con.
Noticed it was 100% no when I answered and thought you should have feedback as to why. I would if you were 2-3 hours maximum away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good feedback.
I'll keep that in mind as I slog through understanding how to get a Con off the ground...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sax Ma'am
msg tools
mb
I am in albuquerque. Definitely interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bet interest would be higher if you moved the date & location information from your post to the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrggghhh

You are so right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had to look up the average climate in Santa Fe. It would be about 10 hours away from me, but, I always thought Santa Fe was warmer than it apparently is. So, my first thought was not June, but, June looks actually pleasant there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sax Ma'am
msg tools
mb
Date conflict: http://www.icarustours.com/rocky-mountain.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knight of Anjou
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really - your convention would not be attracting the people who can afford to do a gaming vacation. I run my convention right around gencon, and I still get plenty of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knight of Anjou
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think gauging interest here to the entire BGG audience is going to give you a good idea of if you should do it or not. I've been running my local con for the past three years, I can give you a few pointers if you want to send me a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sax Ma'am
msg tools
mb
squirealex wrote:
Not really - your convention would not be attracting the people who can afford to do a gaming vacation. I run my convention right around gencon, and I still get plenty of people.

I beg to disagree. I will go to both if the dates do not conflict. Why does "can afford gaming vacation" equal "not interested in convenient local event"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't vote because I am not local, but I would consider a name change. WGACon is 6 sylables that do not roll off the toungue or resonate, and unpronouncible if read. I would reccomend changing it to something catchier, easier to speak, and gaming related or you will never be able to attract the local crowd, let alone a national one as the con grows. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vospire wrote:
I voted no, but it is a heck of a long way for me to travel for a new unestablished Con.
Noticed it was 100% no when I answered and thought you should have feedback as to why. I would if you were 2-3 hours maximum away.
I'm in the same boat, although instead, I abstained from voting.

I simply do NOT fly to cons. I'd rather save that money and hassle. Hell, I wouldn't even fly to Gen Con. I only did it twice because it was only a 4 hour car trip back then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knight of Anjou
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry Sax, I didn't present my point as a personal attack against you.

Ok, so you would prefer to go to a weeklong gaming vacation instead of a smaller weekend convention. That's fine. It's a conflict for you. It's not productive to present this as a point for him to switch his event to a different weekend though.

I don't think that these 2 events are in the same ballpark. If there was another small boardgame convention within a 2-hour driving distance on the same weekend, then you could say that there's a conflict which could be seriously considered for making a point to change his event dates.

Another important thing to consider is other local events on that weekend if there are any, and if they cater to the demographic that you're looking to attract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.