Subject: So, how do we feel about the longevity of this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this game appeals to you, I don't know why you would be hesitant to buy it. If you are only going to play with family and friends, buying a bit into the quickly growing card and dice database will keep you interested for awhile.

If you are planning on tournament and/or league play, there is a still growing community. There is more than enough released to make decent decks.

Then, if it dies, so be it. You'll still have enough to have fun with for awhile without having spent a mortgage payment to keep up with the meta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
Maple Ridge
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything i see is pointing to a long life for this CCG. I am especially excited to see how proactive FFG has been to errata cards that need to be to keep the game healthy.
My group is growing and excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight being Fantasy Flight, as long as the game keeps selling like hot cakes, they will milk it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Wuyley wrote:
Fantasy Flight being Fantasy Flight, as long as the game keeps selling like hot cakes, they will milk it.

It's FFG. This game was dead on arrival. They will abandon it soon enough. Just wait.

Mark my words and this comment. This games will not last until 2020.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vroomer wrote:
Wuyley wrote:

It's FFG. This game was dead on arrival. They will abandon it soon enough. Just wait.

I am not sure I understand your Point. As far as I can tell, if a game is successful, fantasy Flight will keep the game around. Android Netrunner is 5 years old, and still seeing new material. Lord of the Rings is 6 years and as strong as ever. Descent 2nd edition is 5 years and received expansions in the last year. X-wing is 5 years and is still growing.

So we have proof that as long as a game remains popular, FFG will continue to support the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
Vroomer wrote:
Wuyley wrote:

I am not sure I understand your Point. As far as I can tell, if a game is successful, fantasy Flight will keep the game around. Android Netrunner is 5 years old, and still seeing new material. Lord of the Rings is 6 years and as strong as ever. Descent 2nd edition is 5 years and received expansions in the last year. X-wing is 5 years and is still growing.

So we have proof that as long as a game remains popular, FFG will continue to support the game.

None of the games you mention are a CCG model. For there to be longevity, they need to beef up their playtesting teams(and actually listen to them). In addition, as long as they have their production issues handled, I dont see why this game cant last until at least until they lose the Star Wars license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will choke itself out with power creep - there are already reports that tournaments are basically only 4 or 5 different deck makeups. Then they will reboot it as a 2nd edition and milk everyone's wallet again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
It will choke itself out with power creep - there are already reports that tournaments are basically only 4 or 5 different deck makeups.

I'm under the impression that such claims are false.

But everyone can form their own opinions, of course, based on more solid evidence:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/249933-store-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
It will choke itself out with power creep - there are already reports that tournaments are basically only 4 or 5 different deck makeups. Then they will reboot it as a 2nd edition and milk everyone's wallet again.

Well, there are only 2 sets out so far and the way character point costs work, there are only so many legal pairings you can come up with. It shouldn't be that surprising that at this point there are a half dozen or so that are recognized as having the best synergies. I would expect the meta to broaden as the card pool grows.

But more to the point, FFG just did an enormous print run of those 2 player starter boxes. Even stores like Target and Barnes and Noble have them. So at least at the present moment, FFG shows no signs of bailing.

On the other hand, I do worry for this game. This is anecdotal, but when I first started playing we would have 13+ people show up for tournament nights. Now we're happy to get 6 or 7. I'm hoping EaW and the new starters will inject some energy back into this game. I think they really botched the initial release. A lot of people who might have ridden the initial hype wave saw what product was going for online and the game became dead to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinfield
msg tools
Personally: I think that the basic game design is (mostly) exceptional. It's a lot of fun and easy to play. I think that the card design and balance has overall been somewhere between 'quite poor' and 'abysmal'. While I still enjoy the game, I'm not sure that I enjoy it enough to spend CCG money on it long term in it's current state. A lot of people I know are in a similar situation.

Now, that doesn't mean that FFG *can't* save it, but I do think it's in a position where I'm talking about them having to save it. I feel like the next set (after EaW) will probably have a pretty big impact on the game's future, and how successful it will be. If they manage to pull up and fix a lot of the issues, they can put things back on course - it's their first CCG in a while, and particularly with the SW license I think people would forgive a rocky start. If they don't fix the issues, well....I don't see them cancelling the game quickly, but I think it would be unlikely to recover or grow much.

And if the game does fail, yeah...I'd see them going for the same system with a new license (considering it's already clearly set up for different licenses). I very much doubt they'd do a 'SW 2nd Edition', at least not right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenokojon wrote:
In addition, as long as they have their production issues handled, I dont see why this game cant last until at least until they lose the Star Wars license.

fwiw, FLGS said that, because the two first sets were in high demand and low supply (production issues), that they have too much of the third set. Potential new players aren't buying because they missed out on the first two sets. Meanwhile, another FGS was selling booster boxes, but other GS complained and Asmodee, possibly enforcing their pricing policy, told the GS to raise prices to policy rates.

That being said, there's an introductory set with cards not available elsewhere so new players can learn the game. Haven't tried it myself -- have some other SW games I haven't played yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hall
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those thinking they missed out on the first two sets of the game, they are currently in stock and up for order on Alliance's page, so hopefully stores see that and help their players out.

I can only speak for my store/area. Tournament turn-out isn't as brisk as it was with the initial hype, but is prepped to grow, IMO. Sales remain very good for the game, regardless.

I want to say my store went through about 60 boxes since the set came out on Thursday, and we're one of six venues in 30 minutes, who all have similar numbers I'm sure. Community looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game, but have concerns for its future after AT-ATs, Boba Fett, Lando, Bib Fortuna, Yoda, Moff Tarkin, and Darth Maul are finally available. And Jar-Jar. Lolz!

Which is why characters and vehicles such as these are slow coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
I love the game, but have concerns for its future after AT-ATs, Boba Fett, Lando, Bib Fortuna, Yoda, Moff Tarkin, and Darth Maul are finally available. And Jar-Jar. Lolz!

This shouldn't be an issue. Characters can have multiple versions. Right now we have multiple Vaders for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Yugblad wrote:

This shouldn't be an issue. Characters can have multiple versions. Right now we have multiple Vaders for instance.

I can see that becoming a problem, from both sides of the coin.

The more casual player, who wants a Vader and a Luke, will get to a point where there are no "new" cards. They have all the characters, so why buy more?

For the tournament player, a new Vader may be of interest....but only if it is a better prospect than the Vader he already has. Which is almost inevitably going to lead to power creep, to ensure that the new versions are desirable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Yugblad wrote:

I can't be alone in not wanting multiple versions of each character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
roborob wrote:
Yugblad wrote:

I can see that becoming a problem, from both sides of the coin.

The more casual player, who wants a Vader and a Luke, will get to a point where there are no "new" cards. They have all the characters, so why buy more?

For the tournament player, a new Vader may be of interest....but only if it is a better prospect than the Vader he already has. Which is almost inevitably going to lead to power creep, to ensure that the new versions are desirable.

You are overlooking the unannounced but inevitable rotation. That takes care of your tournament players. They will play with the new Luke, Vader and Poe because the old ones will rotate out. This will also affect the casual player, especially the future casual players who won't have cheap access to Luke or Vader. Awakenings, for example, is no longer being printed. Once they're gone, they're gone. Do you think a casual player will pay a premium on ebay or wait for the new versions? Even now there are casual players that don't play with these cards. They are having fun with the cards they have because they are casual players. And the serious players, well they buy 2-6 boxes of every release anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:

You are overlooking the unannounced but inevitable rotation. ...the casual player, especially the future casual players who won't have cheap access to Luke or Vader. Awakenings, for example, is no longer being printed. Once they're gone, they're gone. Do you think a casual player will pay a premium on ebay or wait for the new versions? Even now there are casual players that don't play with these cards. They are having fun with the cards they have because they are casual players.

That relies though on a continual cycling of new casual players into the game - I was referring to those we have now: they will sooner or later (as you say) have all the cards they need, so new cards will not be an issue.

The tournament side of things I think will be more problematic. Something like Magic can "get away" with periodically making some cards illegal and bringing out a new set, because (with the greatest respect to the fluff in the game) what you are losing is not really comparable.

In both games, a card has name/fluff, and game stats. In Magic, while the former are important, the latter is far more important. Its one thing to buy a card for new stats, when the picture/fluff might as well be "Elf Maiden" as "Dinosaur in a F-15" - its the stats that matter. For the player hunting the card, its a box stick for the stats. With Destiny, the picture/name/fluff have a lot more impact: being "forced" to seek out another Vader every year is something I can see starting to grate, even on the most stat-focused players.

I feel that FFG need to be rather careful about how many times they release the same character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
I think once they start printing the 3rd and 4th versions of the same tired movie characters the game will die. They must make use of the entire expanded universe for the game to not get stale thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Topdecker577 wrote:
I think once they start printing the 3rd and 4th versions of the same tired movie characters the game will die. They must make use of the entire expanded universe for the game to not get stale thematically.

Luckily, this is exactly what's happening. I understand the worry, I've literally only just started playing this game (and LOVE it), but a friend and I were discussing the potential limits of it being Star Wars themed. After getting into it all those concerns slipped away, however. When you open those boosters and get one of your favourite characters, ships or weapons, it's so exciting because you can relate to it!

I've been playing X-Wing for a few years now, a game I enjoy FAR less than Destiny. And the way they've managed the waves for that seems similar to the way Destiny is handling new boxes. If that's the case, I'm not at all worried about its longevity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So, how do we feel about the longevity of this ga
There is only ONE kind of game that has much longer life spans than others.

And that is the solo game.

Of course there will always be exceptions, like Magic,...

But yes in general CCG's with a competitive mode only last 3-4 years.

That's why games like Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horrror, Lord of The Ring LCG etc can last much longer as they can be played SOLO, any time, even if the hotness died off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game and feel that the play is smooth and balanced but there just aren't players or much product where I am located. Power creep is always a concern in a collectable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the game lives or dies based on how Legacies and its Draft pack is received, on average.

If one or more drafting formats take off, that could actually attract newer players at a lower price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.