Heroes of Normandie» Forums » General

Subject: Is the base game enough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10 year old son wants Heroes of Normandie. There seems to be several expansions and additions to the game. Is the game good enough for us to be content with just the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of gameplay in the base box. If that hits the mark then you can add the scenario/map expansions for more variety and then add unit expansions once you start building your own battles.

There is the existing Shadows over Normandie and a new Warhammer 40k themed set coming out soon if you want to vary the theme with similar rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's a lot of fun with the base game alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with everyone else. There is plenty of game activity with the base set, and it is a fun, well-illustrated game to learn. I'd suggest snagging the player aids off of this site, as well as any rules updates from here or DPG. Another nice feature is that if you ever do tire of the base set, there are so many expansions and downloadable scenarios from DPG that it is highly "renewable".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lovely game. The ten scenario's give you plenty of fun moments and a good way to learn on everything this game has to offer... You can play both sides, which doubles the fun. Finally you can build your own scenario's, it's not that hard nor time consuming.

After you run out of scenario's you can always get a scenario's pack that adds a lot of value for your money. And as suggested get the rewritten rules!

My seven year old loves this game too! I skip the cards though, because he can't read English. This game teaches kids quite a lot about gaming and sportsmanship; they can loose quite some troops when you pop a grenade on top of their most valuable units! :-p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would point out that the early scenarios in the book are to help new players learn the game. Once you get the hang of the game, it is easy to just do a player generated scenario and battle it out

I would definitely recommend that if you enjoy the game you might want to pick up a terrain pack to vary the battlefield. Battlegrounds 2 (Hills and Harbors) gives you high ground, which was the one thing I thought was missing from the core box maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think you'll get quite a bit of play out of the base box alone. The variety of cards, units and scenarios should keep you busy for many hours.

If there's something specific you are looking for, it might not be in the base game. (e.g. you really want an army with paratroopers, or want to do D-Day beach assaults, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
If there's something specific you are looking for, it might not be in the base game. (e.g. you really want an army with paratroopers, or want to do D-Day beach assaults, etc.)

Good point. The base game comes with a set of 6 double-sided terrain boards as well as some additional terrain pieces like buildings, sandbag bunkers, extra hedgerow bits, etc. that will let you create a large number of different battlefields, but all of the "flat ground with bocage" variety. There is enough variety to keep you battling for a long time.

If you want fields of crops or swamps, that is in the Battlegrounds expansion
Hills and Harbors are in Battlegrounds 2
Battlegrounds 3 adds railroads and more roads to expand your battles.
The River Set adds, well, rivers (and some bridges).

Those are all moderately priced and give you a good set of additional terrain boards to expand your map-building options. Not required, but if you really enjoy HoN then they are an easy way to really expand your available terrain.

There are other expansions that add beaches or more urban areas, but those are Scenario boxes and are more expensive. They also come with additional troops and new campaigns of battles to fight.

If you want beach to do some D-Day invasions, that is in the D-Day expansion. It also comes with US Engineers and Festungskompanie

If you want more urban areas then Carentan or St. Mere Elgise would fit the bill. Those come with Falschirmjager or US Airbore (respectively).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate all the responses. We will definitely be getting the game now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure anyone mentioned this, but there are two ways to play the game:
1) Pre-designed scenarios
2) Self generated scenarios or "pick up" games

Some people prefer to play one over the other. If you have a preference for pre-designed scenarios the best route is to purchase the expansions that include scenarios, such as D-Day, Carentan, St Mere Eglise, etc.

If you prefer #2 style, then you will want the additional terrain packs and maybe everything else.

If you want to play some Gazette scenarios or fan-created scenarios (there are a heap on the DPG site) then you will likely need the smaller punchboard unit and terrain expansions, depending on what you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank, I would suggest that for the age of your kids, the base game is plenty and will last for years, especially if they decide to come up with some scenarios of their own and design their own units using the recruitment tiles.

If they love the game and as they get older, you may want to consider adding in some of the scenario packs - I like them because they are much more historical than the base game (which is more Hollywood-esque) and add lots of more tricky and intricate situations like night fighting, paratroop opportunities (gliders etc.), new equipment, even sleeping units!

Others have posted good advice already, but I wanted to address the issue of age and development over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dranton wrote:

If they love the game and as they get older, you may want to consider adding in some of the scenario packs - I like them because they are much more historical than the base game (which is more Hollywood-esque) and add lots of more tricky and intricate situations like night fighting, paratroop opportunities (gliders etc.), new equipment, even sleeping units!

Good suggestion. I will keep that in mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.