Matt Martens
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cats, Peace Turtles. Ep 001. Leadership & Diplomacy
also available on iTunes or Google Play. Spotify coming soon!

Launching this podcast and hope everyone will give it a listen.

Please take part in the discussion by responding to any points you agree or disagree with.

This episode covers the basics of Twilight Imperium 4th Edition. We go over the galaxy and movement, the Leadership & Diplomacy Strategy Cards, and the following races: Federation of Sol, Ghosts of Creuss, Naalu Collective, and The Xxcha Kingdom.

The next four episodes will continue to go over Strategy Cards and Races, and then we'll kick off into more open discussions. We'll eventually make our theoretical race ranking (before having played any games of TI4) as well as episodes devoted to each Race's starting strategy. Finally, once we have our hands on the game, we'll do episodes devoted to breaking down entire games, discussing successful and unsuccessful strategies. I hope you enjoy, and please give us any feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roberts
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Us troglodytes need to know when it will be on itunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martens
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly garnering interest at this point. We'll likely try to get it onto iTunes within a couple weeks. Thanks for the interest! I've got more incentive to get it on iTunes faster now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, just listened and it was great! Makes the wait for the game a little bit easier!

If I had to offer any criticism/suggestions (which they are very minor) are:

1. each time you start to talk about a new concept, just a brief explanation of how it operates is really helpful (like you did with retreating etc.)

2. maybe keep the language a bit cleaner (I'm fine with it BTW) - just thinking your style is quite inviting to a wide audience and keeping the language in check would be even more inviting to all and will allow you to articulate your thoughts better.

Could you please continue to update this tread with your new episodes so I can listen as they are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Skootur wrote:
Mostly garnering interest at this point. We'll likely try to get it onto iTunes within a couple weeks. Thanks for the interest! I've got more incentive to get it on iTunes faster now.

How can it be a podcast without iTunes?

If you can get it on iTunes I'll DL it in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirded. Please make available via iTunes. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listened to a big chunk of it on my way to work. I thought it was stellar. The audio quality was great and the rapport between the hosts was excellent.

As for constructive criticism, I agree with both of Cassil's comments above.

In addition, I would love to know more about you and your group of players. I think int the long run that is what will keep me coming back - if I get to know you guys and your dynamic. It will be fun to come along on that journey and hear about the stories and experiences of your TI4 games.

I found it fascinating that you keep race selection hidden in your TI3 games. I will be interested to hear how your group handles the race selection (and other setup issues) in TI4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martens
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimb0v wrote:
In addition, I would love to know more about you and your group of players. I think int the long run that is what will keep me coming back - if I get to know you guys and your dynamic. It will be fun to come along on that journey and hear about the stories and experiences of your TI4 games.

Definitely stay tuned. We have a bevy of content we plan on releasing, and the one we're most excited about is a video series where we walk you through an entire game. We record diary cams and secret conversations between players and get a look at the game from each players perspective. We analyze strategies and see what went right and what went wrong. Once TI4 releases, we plan on releasing these kinds of videos regularly!

Jimb0v wrote:
I found it fascinating that you keep race selection hidden in your TI3 games. I will be interested to hear how your group handles the race selection (and other setup issues) in TI4.

We'll certainly talk about this more after we finish our introductory episodes, but I can also go over it here.

We always found that too much of the game was determined by galaxy building. Too often a perceived strong race would have the entire game pulled out from under them by being targeted with bad system. Playing a 10 hour game where you started in a losing position is not my idea of fun, so we sought out new ways to handle this. Preset maps are fun, but they can also be a bit stale, and generating a galaxy is still a fun process we love to take part in.

So, when we build, we've all selected our races, but we haven't revealed them. We also have not selected our placement within the galaxy. We hand out system tiles per usual game rules, and we make the galaxy according to the rules, but since none of us know where we're sitting, there's an incentive to ensure every board position is on a level playing ground. Then, once all system tiles are placed, we roll to determine who gets to choose their position. Usually, pie slices only differ by 1 or 2 resources, and the worm holes have been evenly dispersed, so it's rare for any one position to stand out as the de facto best place to be. However, if there ever is significant imbalance, we agree as a group on ways to mitigate it. Often we'll swap a couple tiles just before we place our home systems.

In essence, rather than being a competitive mini-game at the beginning of the larger game, we treat galaxy creation like a co-op game where we're all working to create the most interesting galaxy within the limitations set by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martens
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We got multiple people telling us they'd check us out once we were on iTunes, so we decided to expedite that process.

You can now subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Spotify coming soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think you may be missing something by not playing the game. The faction Promissory notes are important

That PDS can fire though wormholes makes a big difference to the Ghosts in may ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martens
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think you may be missing something by not playing the game. The faction Promissory notes are important

We'll go over all Promissory Notes when we discuss trade. It's a big topic and we wanted to devote an entire episode to the types of discussions that will happen and the impact Trade will have on the overall game. I agree they are very important, we just chose a sort of disjointed way to organize our topics. Sorry for making them feel left out!

Also, we're definitely missing a LOT by not having played the game yet. As soon as we get our hands on it, you can bet we'll start covering topics differently. It's just not something we have access to yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Really enjoyed this. Sounded like the post game conversations I have with my buddies.

Keep em coming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Joedicke
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think you guys are off about the command counters. I have yet to have an issue with this. I think it is the trade goods that balance it out.

Ghost of Creus- a subtlety you may have missed, flagship creates a d wormhole which connects to home system. That is huge, if you get to Rex, you have a wormhole into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martens
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimmyJoe70 wrote:
I think you guys are off about the command counters. I have yet to have an issue with this. I think it is the trade goods that balance it out.

Ghost of Creus- a subtlety you may have missed, flagship creates a d wormhole which connects to home system. That is huge, if you get to Rex, you have a wormhole into it.

On Ghosts, we may not have went over the flagships' ability specifically, but we did note that their racial tech and flagship plays a much larger role in their overall strategy. I do agree their flagship is vital to their success as a race. Definitely should have gone into more detail about the capabilities of the flagship, BUT we have a lot more to talk about with the Ghosts when we get to our Trade discussion, so hold tight. We have many much nicer things to say about them.

As for command counters, I'd be interested to see our points proven wrong, but I've also seen MANY people discuss at length the degree to which command counters are harder to come by. I could definitely see the number of TGs helping that problem, but there is no question a larger cost for and greater difficulty in acquiring command counters, which makes their use more vital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great show guys! As a mostly TI newbie, it was great hearing some in-depth talk on specific strategies. I can't wait to hear more, especially about my favorite race: Embers of Muaat.

I want to be a "subscriber", but can you guys do me a huge favor? Submit your RSS feed to Stitcher. It would make my life immensely easier I submitted my podcast's RSS feed to them, and it was available there in a day or so. Kinda like iTunes, it's just a formality type thing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martens
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
Great show guys! As a mostly TI newbie, it was great hearing some in-depth talk on specific strategies. I can't wait to hear more, especially about my favorite race: Embers of Muaat.

I want to be a "subscriber", but can you guys do me a huge favor? Submit your RSS feed to Stitcher. It would make my life immensely easier I submitted my podcast's RSS feed to them, and it was available there in a day or so. Kinda like iTunes, it's just a formality type thing.

Thanks!

Thanks for listening. I'll submit today. Hopefully it'll get accepted before our new episode goes up tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skootur wrote:
Thanks for listening. I'll submit today. Hopefully it'll get accepted before our new episode goes up tomorrow

No worries. Now that I know it's coming, I'll keep an eye out for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
Marlboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was an enjoyable listen.

I was listening while working so I may have missed it, but I think you left out an important point while talking about the new retreat rules. The adjacent system someone retreats to must contain one or more of his units, a planet he controls, or both. Additionally, the system cannot contain ships controlled by another player.

While this often won't be an issue, it can be in some instances. For instance if someone is making a forward strike with a fleet with move 2+ and is jumping over an empty hex to get to the target, they won't have someplace to retreat to. This is different than the old Tactical Retreat rules which would allow a retreat to any adjacent hex as long as no enemy units were there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I'm about half way through e1. So far so good.

I think you missed some big points about the Federation. You talk a lot about them entrenching. But you didn't mention at all the counter-entrenchment effect of X89.

I played a game of T3 where the Sol player fully invested in ground forces for defense. His neighbor saw this this, and started towards x89 early. Once x89 appeared, the Federation basically disappeared.

This'll be different in TI4 since x89 can only be used 1/round. I'm interested to see how this goes.

You also failed mention the value of spawning infantry as a stalling action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.