Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinda pricey for a kindle book (I paid $28 but now it's $36?)

Vietnam's High Ground: Armed Struggle for the Central Highlands, 1954-1965 (Modern War Studies)

So far so good as I read about what happened before the 1st Cav drops in at the very end of the book. Gives you a sense of what happened before.

Since I bought the kindle version I haven't flipped through it but 10% it appears to be very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing a number of strategic level Vietnam games lately (No Trumpets, In Country, Hearts and Minds). In the first two, the Green Beret camps are portrayed as low strength static units (which, given the scale is probably correct). I think both games kinda struggle with how to portray their role in the context of the larger simulation (which primarily focuses on the conventional battles).

Are there any books which give a good summary of how the camps actually operated and the net effects of their operations over the course of the war?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know yet. I did find the Vietnam Monograph on the special forces but have no read it yet.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/090/90-23-1/CMH_Pub_9...

this one looks interesting...

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/b158452.pdf

The next one I may check out is Green Berets by Shelby Stanton...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading A Shau Valor by Yarborough and I was surprised that when the camps were overrun, they didn't go back and build bigger camps. I would think any camp they left alone wasn't really in their way.

Do the strategic games allow you to invade Laos and cut off the Ho Chi Minh trail as a viable strategy? If so, I think the CIDG camps backed by ARVN conventional forces could have worked. Against conventional NVA troops in country, it would make it very hard for special forces to operate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
Reading A Shau Valor by Yarborough and I was surprised that when the camps were overrun, they didn't go back and build bigger camps. I would think any camp they left alone wasn't really in their way.

Do the strategic games allow you to invade Laos and cut off the Ho Chi Minh trail as a viable strategy? If so, I think the CIDG camps backed by ARVN conventional forces could have worked. Against conventional NVA troops in country, it would make it very hard for special forces to operate.

Most allow some kind of incursion. No Trumpets allows a full blown invasion. One of the problems though is no one really knows what the consequences would be of such a strategy. Hard for a game to model such a radical departure from the historical record.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, a full on invasion would be hard to game I think. I was thinking more of a barrier from the DMZ west into Laos. Shut down the trail as much as possible to heavy traffic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In No Trumpets you can do that a couple ways:

The Royal Laotian troops have some ability to do that. You can also send in a Green Beret team with Montagnards to slow the flow. Well, until an NVA division backed by ARTY and SAM saunters up next to the GB base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.