Subject: so the shadow barbarian get up to 8HP right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so why dose the dashboard only go up to 7???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, 7 is the maximum health. You start out with 5 and the free class skill is +1 max health which takes you to 6. +2 max health takes you to 7. It's a little confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bethany
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that a higher level skill totally replaces any lower version of that skill. So taking the +2 health skill does not stack with the already acquired +1 health skill. It totally overrides it, so you just add +2 to your base health of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the stacking is clear. what's the "real" issue is that he also gets +1HP from another skill. in any case you are right that the absolute max is 7HP.
(even if it would make sense for a hulky barbarian to have more HP than a frail old wizard...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bethany
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
the stacking is clear. what's the "real" issue is that he also gets +1HP from another skill. in any case you are right that the absolute max is 7HP.
(even if it would make sense for a hulky barbarian to have more HP than a frail old wizard...)

Huh. Hadn't noticed that. That is pretty wonky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:

This is the biggest issue with the Shadow Barbarian class. He essentially loses his starting skill late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exactly. another point that proves, that they never playtested past level 2 or 3. because starting level 3 is where the game starts to break and to come appart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McCourt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Which is exactly why CMON never did a video playthrough of higher levels of game play. They KNEW the game had serious problems. All they could see was a mountain of kickstarter money and they quickly decided they couldn't be bothered trying to fix it and then tried to cover it up by not showing much game play. This is what concerns me most of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Its.. MY TRACKING NUMBER!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that that this makes it any more effective when combined with the Shadow Barbarian's Regenerate but the rules state:

+1/+2 Max Health – The Hero’s maximum Health value becomes
6/7 instead of 5. Acquiring this Skill also raises the Hero’s current
Health, healing 1 or 2 accordingly
. (pg 52) Italics mine.

So in a sense its a heal at the same time for 2, which may have been an intended benefit, along with the already mentioned "Skills don't Stack" they just replace the previous same named skill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue that the key benefit of Enhance Health is clearly the added Regeneration skill.

Quote:
Regeneration X – At the beginning of the Hero’s Activation, heal X Wounds from him.

The level two skill gets you Regeneration 1 while the level 4 skill gets you Regeneration 3. This is actually pretty powerful, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other free class skills that don't give much benefit besides just the Shadow Barbarian's. For instance the Priest's skill makes his Shadow abilities work in light zones instead of dark. The Assassin actually gets some negatives by not being allowed to use shield equipment and getting less shields when out in light zones.

While it kind of sucks the Barbarian loses his free skill later, it is nice to have early. He has the most starting hp and the skill also allows you to wait longer to get Enhance Health.

Zakoholic wrote:
I'd argue that the key benefit of Enhance Health is clearly the added Regeneration skill.

Quote:
Regeneration X – At the beginning of the Hero’s Activation, heal X Wounds from him.

The level two skill gets you Regeneration 1 while the level 4 skill gets you Regeneration 3. This is actually pretty powerful, in my opinion.

Yup, there is that too. They could have just made one of the skill levels give +1 health and regeneration, and then the second version not give any Health and just give +3 regen. I think that might have been better actually. Then there wouldn't be any confusion regarding the free class skill and it wouldn't have made it seem like a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deathleech wrote:
Zakoholic wrote:

Quote:

Yup, there is that too. They could have just made one of the skill levels give +1 health and regeneration, and then the second version not give any Health and just give +3 regen. I think that might have been better actually. Then there wouldn't be any confusion regarding the free class skill and it wouldn't have made it seem like a waste.

I think the problem with that approach is that the skills won't stack and therefor the +1 Health had to be on the level 4 skill to not be completely lost.

Also, and more importantly, the way the rules are written (as stated by Jim above) indicates that "+1 Health" raises your maximum health to 6. It does not add 1 to your health. They basically had to put "+2 Health" in the skill because only that will raise your health to 7 and otherwise the starting skill indeed would be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok i get it now. he starts at 6HP and when you level it he get 7HP and Regen 1. then the next time you level it he is 7HP and Regen 2. so once you buy the enhanced health his free skill is gone. or you could say you upgraded his free skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.