Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Struggling with the graphic design of this game. I'd like to get a sense of how people feel about the art/graphic design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Here's another example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number one thing in any component is readability. The symbol below the circled "4" on the upper left corner needs more contrast, either darker or a different color. They are rather faint and hard to see.

I don't know how the cards will be used and played in your game, but a simple test is to lay the cards on the table and see how easily readable are the card elements from across the table. Same goes for the card text as the typeface has rather thin lettering.

Can't really comment on the artwork since we have no info on your game or its theme. Images are of robots so I would guess the game has something to do with robots, or cyberpunk futuristic society, etc.

Some may regard the cards to be somewhat stark, but if the simplicity fits the setting of the game, I like the clean look. The only thing is that looks like the 2 card samples has 2 different color backgrounds, blue and pink. If the colors are important to the game to differentiate the cards, then that should stand out more, not the whole background, but maybe darker colored outlines or highlights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Thanks for the amazing and prompt feedback. I will be sure to update this thread with progress.

I agree with all points. Especially on the icons.

Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Updated art. Changes are subtle, but I feel like the art is coming along.
I spoke with the rest of the team tonight and I got a ton of feedback, so I'll most likely be trying some very different styles as the weeks progress.

Again all feed back is welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
The game is about fencing I guess? Really interesting topic to tackle in a boardgame. Wish you all the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Hyperhead wrote:
The game is about fencing I guess? Really interesting topic to tackle in a boardgame. Wish you all the best!

Precisely! Fencing and dueling culture.

I will most likely post a PNP at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb

Trying some new things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleo Sills
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the direction you are heading in. The border is excellent. On one of your previous cards you played with having parts of the figure sticking out over the edges of the border. I would encourage you to do something with that. The image of the tip of the sword always breaking the edges of the frame, will really add a sense of visual continuity to your cards and as well as an identifiable uniqueness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new direction. The framing of the figure under the arch is nice, and I like the addition of a background. I would suggest that you desaturate the green grass in the background though, as it makes the legs of the figure a bit difficult to see. I look forward to seeing the game when it's finished. The theme intrigues me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Thanks! I'll make sure to keep updating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
BraveReideen wrote:
I really like the direction you are heading in. The border is excellent. On one of your previous cards you played with having parts of the figure sticking out over the edges of the border. I would encourage you to do something with that. The image of the tip of the sword always breaking the edges of the frame, will really add a sense of visual continuity to your cards and as well as an identifiable uniqueness.

I struggled with that ALOT. Personally, I love when the illustration breaks the frame. But Ive gotten feedback in both directions. I think Im going to ultimately side with you on this.
Thanks for the feed back :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I really like this updated card, I think the border really suits it, it helps draw your attention to where it should be, with the first few cards it was hard to know where to focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb

Here is some more art:) I feel like the art just keeps improving. Very happy with how this is going.

Does anyone feel like this artwork is at the level of major published games? We're an indie company and all of our art/graphic design is done in-house. I'm trying to see if we need to expand out and start paying for illustrators and Graphic designers if we want to be taken seriously.

Curious to know what you think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
are those things robots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
8Oj4N wrote:
are those things robots?

Indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb

We Keep plugging away! More art from Mike Sette Love to hear your feedback :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card border/design is very elegant and beautiful, but the art is off-putting. The thickness of the line used int he art clashes with the delicate style of the border. It feels like the robot was cut and paste onto the card rather than being a part of the image it sits on. I think a more muted, water-color type of design would compliment the card better than the thick, bold lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Thanks for the feedback!

I can see your point. My intention was to create large degree of contrast between the illustration and the background. And I feel like that goal was achieved, but I can try to adjust to make the card overall more cohesive.

I guess if each element is works alone, but then doesn't go together, then it's kind of wasted.

Duly noted :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ironmark Games
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Barr

Ohio
msg tools
badge
I Am Ozymandias, King of Kings. Look on My Works, Ye Mighty, And Despair!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first few lacked color/contrast. You really need those visual cues to complement this set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.