Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Quadropolis: Public Services» Forums » General

Subject: Classic vs expert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I have a question here. People who play expert would only play classic if they play with new players or young kids or elderly parents or anyone who may benefit from simplified rules. In this case they would not use the expansion at all. People who play classic but want next level in complexity would try expert, rather than just add the expansion to classic.

Is the classic mode of the expansion really needed? Who is planning to use that and why?

Just curious. I think I will not include them in my box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. It's a waste of tiles. Instead, it could have been very inexpensive with fewer tiles, or, included more cool content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expanded Classic version could be useful for people who enjoy playing but don't want to move on to the longer, slightly more complex game.

My sister and her boyfriend prefer to play the Classic game. They like that it is shorter and that they have only their own pool of architects to worry about.

For people like them the expansion would add in some variety and interesting new choices without taking away from the game they already enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my two 11-year-old daughters, and happily use the expansion despite only playing classic mode. Your assumptions are false.

Having the variety of public buildings is fun, especially in contrast to how boring the base game public buildings are compared to other building types. The decisions of which public buildings to select add a personalized touch and make our town feel more "our own" and distinct from each other.

I appreciate them being included and likely would not have bought the expansion if they were not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I only play the classic version. I don't care about the expert version. This is a light game and I have no interest in attempting to make it anything different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy heavier games, but if we only have 30 minutes or so to play a quick game, Quadropolis is one of our go-to games. We mostly play the Classic mode and have only played the expert mode a couple of times. The expert version has more rules/scoring paths...but I personally don't think it is any more challenging or "complex" than the classic version. It's just a bit longer. And honestly, I personally feel that the fewer scoring options combined with being locked into using specific numbers each round is much more interesting and tense than the added "expert" complexities. So I've bought the "Public Services" expansion and have already played it once this weekend with "classic" mode.

I agree there didn't need to be double the tiles for both games. They could have easily made this smaller and just said to shuffle in the couple extra "expert" tiles if needed. But who knows, maybe there is a price floor for making this a packaged expansion product. I personally don't know why it needed a box. Could have just been a wrapped up punchboard with rules sheet like some of the smallworld stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.