Hide
7 Posts

Nine Years: The War of the Grand Alliance 1688-1697» Forums » Rules

Subject: Grand Campaign transition questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
mbmbmb
20.3.5 I assume that when the NY scenario ends, both players keep the spaces they gained during the scenario. Would that mean that if the Alliance wins the scenario, the Bourbon player keeps what was gained in Spain, even in the unlikely event the Bourbon player loses while holding Madrid? In addition, would the Bourbon keep the Catalan power and corp if they lose?

20.3.7 Since this is only outside of Ireland, would this mean Ireland, Scotland, and York are still playable areas once you get to the NPWS scenario? Also, are the Jacobite corps in Ireland still usable?

20.3.13 To clarify, are these reinforcement leaders placed with normal reinforcements in the 1702 turn? Also, is Marlborough only considered eliminated if he is killed in battle, and not because he is removed by the political die roll?

Finally, how would the 1702 turn start in the Campaign scenario? I assume you do a full turn including event draw because you get reinforcements in 1702, but special rule 1 is not ignored according to the bold, italic text at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Bourbon wins, all Spanish home spaces become Bourbon controlled. This includes spaces in mainland Spain, Italy and the Spanish Netherlands.
If the alliance wins, nothing changes - the bourbon keep in charge of all Spanish home spaces they control. As nothing is indicated w.r.t. the Catalan power, it indeed remains in the case of an Alliance win (as counterweight to the disappearing Habsburg Spain power). In the unlikely situation of an alliance win with Bourbons in control of Madrid ... well, the Alliance will have some work to do in Spain (but will receive a 10VP reward for it, too).

20.3.7 The idea of this rule is that if Ireland / Highlands were not conquered during the 1690's, the Alliance still has a shot at it during the 1700's. The Jacobite Corps in Ireland would be able to be activated, but as no naval movement is possible during the 1700's across a sea zone you do not control (and the Atlantic is permanently under Alliance control), no BOURBON invasions are possible.

20.3.13 - The 1702 turn doesn't have normal reinforcements (beyond those of 20.3.9). They would come together. Marlborough is NOT eliminated for this purpose due to the political die roll (and in fact the political die roll will probably guarantee his survival for the purpose of returning in 20.3.13).

The 1702 turn would be like in NPWS, but with a reinforcement phase (only used for those units mentioned in 20.3.9 and 20.3.13) and a leader rearrangement. No event cards are drawn and no other actions are taken beyond these and those done in a normal 1702 turn during NPWS. This was indeed not clearly stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you very much! I will try the Grand Campaign some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Tegarend wrote:

20.3.7 The idea of this rule is that if Ireland / Highlands were not conquered during the 1690's, the Alliance still has a shot at it during the 1700's. The Jacobite Corps in Ireland would be able to be activated, but as no naval movement is possible during the 1700's across a sea zone you do not control (and the Atlantic is permanently under Alliance control), no BOURBON invasions are possible.

Pardon me Kris, it seems that this contrast with a previous interpretation of the rules about naval movement, I remember that the "nine years" ruling about crossing enemy seas was to be ported to the grand campaign scenario, I'm wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlo M. wrote:
Tegarend wrote:

Pardon me Kris, it seems that this contrast with a previous interpretation of the rules about naval movement, I remember that the "nine years" ruling about crossing enemy seas was to be ported to the grand campaign scenario, I'm wrong?

You are right, this contrasts with my answer from https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1780448/sea-moves. I will think on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After thinking on it, I am going to remain with my earliest ruling on this and state that the Nine Years sea movement rules remain valid for the entire campaign game. Bourbon Forces stranded in unconquered Ireland are available for naval maneuvers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools

Thanks Kris, The year of the french a century earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.