Darren Semmen
msg tools
Below I excerpt from an "Ask Sandy" thread in the Cthulhu Wars forum. My questions are followed by Sandy's answers. I figure not everyone here reads those posts. (And it will be easier to find the information here at a later date.)

Q) What are the mythological identities of the mortal heroes in G:TGW?

Sandy – in some cases, it is probably a different individual at different times. For example, the first time you summon the Storm Champion, he might represent Vingkot. Say he gets killed, and you resummons him. Now it might represent Orani. While the Sea Hero is the Kraken, really it probably represents whatever terrifying sea monster has risen to prominence at that time. Ditto for the Earth’s Hero of the Behemoth. The Sky Hero is the Emperor, represented as a Dragon. Again, this might be different Emperors at different times.
But some of the heroes are clearly individuals who persist. The Mistress (Darkness Hero) is plainly always Cragspider. The Moon Hero is the Crimson Bat.

Q) In one of the Design Corners for "Cthulhu Wars" (CW), you enumerated the variety of unit distributions among the factions and that this was one of your design guidelines. In G:TGW, five of the eight factions have four mortal minions, one mortal hero, three lesser gods, and one greater god. While their costs and combat strengths vary, the distributions still seem more standardized. Why the difference between CW and G:TGW?

Sandy – they are different games, with different needs. In Gods War I focused on other aspects of unit differentiating. For example, the greater gods of TGW are far weaker proportionately than the GOOs of Cthulhu Wars. They are really not functionally the same. That said, I did mix up the distribution for some of the empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.