Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
While working on a new item for Dungeon Pack 2, I was once again blown away by how flexible and incredible well designed the core mechanics of this game are.
The ability to recreate nearly anything within the existing game system is absolutely amazing. Just look at the variety and possibilities of the monster or item card format and compare that to other games in that genre.
For me, that's why MYTH has become my favorite coop miniature gaming system.

This is the item I've been working on. Note, how even though it introduces a whole new mechanic to the game (item actions) it all still fits on that tiny card using only exisiting game iconography.

Let me know, what part / mechanic of MYTH you like most! I guess for me it's the whole fate die and fate recipe thing. It's a bit like crafting a magic spell out of runes. Those 6 symbols give enough info to match them to certain attributes (e.g. Rage can be = strength, power, frenzy, etc.) and yet they are vague enough to use them in all sorts of contexts. They can set you sword ablaze with holy fire or let a demon strangle you with chains of pure darkness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the core of the Myth system too (or i would have stopped translated it).
I just have to find the right progression system for the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Endevor wrote:
I just have to find the right progression system for the rest.

Yeah, that would be so cool... oh wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We talked about that, i only want to use the official content (15+ modules and 160+ quest cards) and you said yourself your system may not handle this well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I love the AP mechanic! It keeps everyone engaged and working together, and it creates interesting decisions for which actions to perform and when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mevio Signore Delle Fiamme
msg tools
mbmb
I have only played a couple of sessions, but coming from the d&d: adventure system I love how fast and smooth every phase is. Both for heroes and monsters. How you make up your dice pool and you roll once and assign successes and you're done with it. Back to the flow! No annoying dowtimes, no boring endless rolls! Action and immesion!

BTW that idea of items that can be used as skills is soooooooo coooooooooollllllllll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
growill wrote:
I have only played a couple of sessions, but coming from the d&d: adventure system I love how fast and smooth every phase is. Both for heroes and monsters. How you make up your dice pool and you roll once and assign successes and you're done with it. Back to the flow! No annoying dowtimes, no boring endless rolls! Action and immesion!

BTW that idea of items that can be used as skills is soooooooo coooooooooollllllllll

All true. But if you don't have a really good memory, or play all the time, you have to face those awful instruction manuals every time. Shiver.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
growill wrote:

All true. But if you don't have a really good memory, or play all the time, you have to face those awful instruction manuals every time. Shiver.:soblue:

This hasn't been my experience at all. One of the things that makes the game difficult to learn is how unique the flow can be. One of the strengths of uniqueness is that I remember it really well because it doesn't run together with the 100s of Euro games that I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to put my finger on a single favorite mechanical part of MYTH, it would be how the threat system works and can be manipulated by the players. One feeling I have always tried to recapture in my gaming was the fun of the old school World of Warcraft raids where you had 40 people working together trying to take down these massively difficult raid bosses. Threat in that video game was a huge part of working together as a group and managing the fight effectively.

While Myth obviously does not involve 40 people (though that would be pretty cool if it could work somehow) you do get the intense feeling of teamwork through group management that I really loved from those experiences.

Gotta admit too that I love the fate dice thing, JM progression, and the freeform nature of Myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You will like the world bosses then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the wide scope of tactical possibilities.

It's interesting comparing it to something like the Descent solo/co-op modules like Natures Ire or Dark Elements. They're a lot tighter, but they're also on rails compared to Myth. The possibilities for tactical play are much narrower.

In Myth you've got to manage the Darkness cycle, manage threat, decide on which type of movement you'll use, where you'll move, which card you'll use, which card you'll hold, anticipate monster actions, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
Yes so true, Myth has mechanics that are so easy to modify from OP hero cards to new items and enemies!

The JM core boxes made the game even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i like almost everything about the game!

i love the quest system and i love x2 the modules!
i love x3 the art!

best thing for me are the different heroes!
unique cardplay + dice, combines the two mechanics i like the most!
the system how the darkness activates is great!
threat system is great!

the amount of different monsters is great (if only someone could accidently send me the missing dredge cards *wink* endeavor *wink*)

i love the atmosphere of a big world i can play in. with the quest cards i have the feeling this game has infinite replayablility! (only game that is similar is brimstone)
and the module i played was also great and gives me a tighter story! (that is smth brimstone needs also!)

writing all this (after of course checking the JM Ks for an update, like everyday, since may) makes me sad again....

man i would pay them another 100$ if they need it to deliver JM.

i cant wait for all the cool stuff that is comming! loved the alchemist and monk videos!! cant wait for the swordsworn. and so on....

i feel like a child before christmas when i think about that big box that hopefully some day arrives at my door
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
cador2 wrote:

i feel like a child before christmas when i think about that big box that hopefully some day arrives at my door

Same!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.