BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Are there any really popular Print & Play games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

I wanted to ask if you know of any games based on the Print & Play principle that became/are really big and can maybe even keep up with some of the more popular board games that were published via traditional methods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mint Works was originally and pnp that entered the 2015 Mint Tin Design Contest on BGG and eventually got published via KS and is very successful, as shown by the success of Mint Delivery at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maquis is a solo worker placement game that has over 300 owners on BGG. After the game rules were put on BGG, an app was developed, which I think indicates more people than 300 have played it.

Decktet is a deck of cards that serves as a game system (so it can be used to play a bunch of different games). The deck can be print-and-played or purchased. Decktet has over 1,300 owners on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info, very cool!

But are there any games that remained PnP and kept up a certain popularity this way without seeing a more elaborate release later on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You might like this geeklist: Free Print & Play games that might actually be worth printing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you consider big or successful but Micropul and Pocket Civ both have a fair few players, alternative PnP components made by fans, as well as Tabletop Simulator mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
@Steve: Great! Thanks a lot, that seems to be a really good resource for research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperhead wrote:
@Steve: Great! Thanks a lot, that seems to be a really good resource for research. :)

Micropul is well beyond print and play and well into intensively Craft and play.

Check the wide range of images submitted to its gallery.

EDIT:
Ooops. This is the post that I meant to quote ... as what prompted me to comment on Micropul.

cafard83 wrote:
Not sure what you consider big or successful but Micropul and Pocket Civ both have a fair few players, alternative PnP components made by fans, as well as Tabletop Simulator mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TVis wrote:
Hyperhead wrote:
@Steve: Great! Thanks a lot, that seems to be a really good resource for research.

Micropul is well beyond print and play and well into intensively Craft and play.

Check the wide range of images submitted to its gallery.

My lasercut version is going to be awesome!

Edit: though, to be fair, you can print the tiles on cardstock or back them with cardboard fairly easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperhead wrote:
But are there any games that remained PnP and kept up a certain popularity this way without seeing a more elaborate release later on?

There's a limit to how popular a game can get before someone will want to publish it. There is also a limit on how popular a game can be if requires much effort to PnP.

How broad a definition of PnP are you thinking of? Would you count modern playing card games like Indian Chief? Domino games like Euronimoes? Pencil & paper games like Boxes? Abstracts that can be played with components you probably already have like Breakthrough?

Boxes is probably the most popular game I know of that I've never seen an published version (I only know that there are published versions due the the BGG game page).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie in my Pocket 2033 bgg owners and some of its variants (Airborne...?) did quite well I think? Also a non-pnp version later.

Goblin Slayer (109 bgg owners, 22 fans) deserves more fans. Printed it a week or so ago and it has been played a lot. Not sure about long-tetm replayability, but definitely worth the ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you mean keep up with?
are you looking for pnp games that just have a lot of fans? or pnps that got published? or what about the kickstarters that had free pnps?

you could just go here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1120/print-play
and sort by # owned

aaaaaand honestly I'm wondering why your asking as a voice inside my head is trying to convince me you want to see if you can make them and sell them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Moon started as a PNP with a different name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
I've actually been really stupid guys, I'm sorry. I could've just checked the database, I totally forgot that because I've started using this page just some days ago and my focus was more on the forums than anything else. So the most obvious thing to do slipped my mind. Really sorry for this thread.

The reason I was asking was I've been designing a game for quite some time and it just happened that P&P seemed to be the ideal format to release it in, not just because for practical reasons. And I actually don't want to sell it directly, I probably wanna go more the route of Patreon or something like that. But that's to decide on another day.

So I just wanted to get a feeling of the P&P market and what level of complexity and component richness people would tolerate.

If an admin reads this, feel free to delete the thread, I just had a little tunnel vision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was a good topic and enjoyed reading the recommendations. No need to delete it.

Not sure there is much money to make. Pnp rpgs seem to do well, but you typically do not even have to print them to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperhead wrote:
So I just wanted to get a feeling of the P&P market and what level of complexity and component richness people would tolerate.(

That is all over the board
there's "warp spawn" games which just have rules and components listed and decried, not even images; to games that are just 9 cards of clip art and text, to todd sanders work which is knock your socks off quality.
check out micropul mentioned above, thats a very simple design, you can print the game out in black and while on one page, and fans have made their own fancy scaled up version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperhead wrote:
So I just wanted to get a feeling of the P&P market and what level of complexity and component richness people would tolerate.

You can post a direct question on the PnP forum and ask just that - the more specific your question, the better the response. For example; if you say that the game will include 300 cards that need to be laser printed in full color on 200gsm paper, more people may be able to tell you whether or not that they would print vs if you just said "lots of cards" ...

In general, the more different types of components needed, and the higher the number of cards, then the less interest there will be unless the game is very, very good. At that point, you may want to consider an outlet like gamecrafter.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cox
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to look into the format of BentoBlocks - http://www.robin-david.com/2017/06/bentoblocks.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
gamesbook wrote:

You can post a direct question on the PnP forum and ask just that

Oh, there is a specific forum for that? Now I feel especially silly. I will remind myself to take a more indepth look around before posting something, thank you for the advice! I will do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:

My printer will hate you for posting that link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
slashing wrote:

Not as long as you keep feeding it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One solo game I enjoyed that won't kill your printer because it's only 2 pages and only requires you provide two dice, a pencil, and an eraser. Behold: Utopia Engine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
slashing wrote:

Yeah I already am out of pretty much every color in my printer. Why is ink sooo expensive....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyre wrote:
pelni wrote:
slashing wrote:

Yeah I already am out of pretty much every color in my printer. Why is ink sooo expensive....

I've learned to avoid printing. If it involves a lot of ink, I'll send it to CVS via the android app (or web) and print the "photos" in an appropriate sizes. Way cheaper than ink and decent card stock or photo paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'd call it "popular" but Tradewinds can definitely hold its own against any published game in my collection.

Squirrel Squabble is worth a look too. Don't be fooled by the cutesy theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.