Subject: Playing with only the pieces from the expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I found a place where I can buy the pieces from the expansion (elefants, horses, the city pieces)

Do you think this is worthwile to add these (and their respective rules) to the base game?

I will still be missing the cards and the special civilizations (with their leaders) from the expansion. I would also leave out pirates, since there are no cards referring to them in the base game.

Will I miss the objective cards, thhe event cards and the action cards from the expansion, when I just add the pieces?

Should I be rather playing the base game only?

Thanks for your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
Hi
I found a place where I can buy the pieces from the expansion (elefants, horses, the city pieces)

Do you think this is worthwile to add these (and their respective rules) to the base game?

I will still be missing the cards and the special civilizations (with their leaders) from the expansion. I would also leave out pirates, since there are no cards referring to them in the base game.

Will I miss the objective cards, thhe event cards and the action cards from the expansion, when I just add the pieces?

Should I be rather playing the base game only?

It'll make the expansion pieces weaker to not have objectives telling you to get them, or civs giving you easier access to them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas S
msg tools
Yeah, I think it's all or nothing with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickles wrote:
Yeah, I think it's all or nothing with this one.

I wouldn't go that far. While the objectives/events do make it better, it's possible that they won't even come up in a game (especially 2 player and especially the objectives which there are only 6 added).

If you aren't worried about pretty, the Civ boards are all in the gallery and easy to print out.

With the plastic, that gives you at least 75% of the experience. I wouldn't turn down a game with just those elements. You'd pretty much only be missing the Pirates and the new event variety.

I hope we'll see this expansion available again, but until then....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that you could perfectly include the new buildings and the new armies, and that will increase the playability of the game.

But I agree that having done the dificult part, it will be a pitty if you do not include the civilizations boards. This is something relatively easy to do at home. You could even ignore the leaders and their cards (and play the civs without leaders if you do not want to print the 39 leader cards (personally I would also include the leaders).Regarding leader's minis you could use anything to represent them, considering that the original ones are really awfull...

Personally I do not see the pirates as something esential. The only thing is that you will need to remove Cartago as a civilization (as they have benefits on playing with pirates)

However, If you want to include them, and do not want to create the extra event cards, you could put some stickers in some of the base game event cards.

Actually, I believe that the extra event, action and objective cards included with the expansion, are ok because they make references to new buildings and units, but you could perfectly play without them.

So to sumarize: Go ahead with the new buildings and units, and print the civilizations boards. I would also include the leaders. For pirates, is doable.

I hope this is useful...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.